Member of Trump admin op ed in NYT

cattyles

An anonymous member of Trump’s admin writes an interesting op ed for the NYT .

Spilling the beans

SaveComment167Like3
Comments (167)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CindyMac(8b)

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

Nothing for either side to gloat about. More evidence for civil discourse.

Save    
lily316

My daughter just called me to tell me to read this just-released op-ed in the Times. It is riveting. We all knew every word Woodward said is correct. He has audio tapes of everything but since anonymity is what these people required, they won't be made public till tRump leaves office. This leader(maybe Kelly) is in the thick of things, is a conservative, but said tRump is spiraling out of control and he wants the American people to know they are trying their best to keep him from imploding. Read the article. Still, the wingers will not believe it till the country goes down in flames.

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

He called a press conference. He’s doing everything but juggling. “ Don’t look over there, look over here, look over here, look look look!”

”Wall wall wall! I’m the best president ever in history! Look over here! Illegal immigrants!” He’s hysterical and manic.

8 Likes Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know
that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening.
And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.

He NEEDS to GO. Why aren't the adults in the room working toward that?

18 Likes Save    
Kathy

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first. But the real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans.

Does anyone think Trump voters will believe he is the problem? All the walkbacks and flip flipping are the work of insiders. It sounds to me Trump is on a different track without morals and one that threatens the sovereignty of America.

8 Likes Save    
d_gw

The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.

13 Likes Save    
Kathy

This is not about the economy, or tax cuts. It is more than that.

9 Likes Save    
d_gw

For the people that don't like to click links:

President Trump is facing a test to his presidency unlike any faced by a modern American leader.

It’s not just that the special counsel looms large. Or that the country is bitterly divided over Mr. Trump’s leadership. Or even that his party might well lose the House to an opposition hellbent on his downfall.

The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.
I would know. I am one of them.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.
Although he was elected as a Republican, the president shows little affinity for ideals long espoused by
conservatives: free minds, free markets and free people. At best, he has invoked these ideals in scripted settings. At worst, he has attacked them outright.

In addition to his mass-marketing of the notion that the press is the “enemy of the people,” President Trump’s impulses are generally anti-trade and anti-democratic.

Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more.

But these successes have come despite — not because of — the president’s leadership style, which is impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective.

From the White House to executive branch departments and agencies, senior officials will privately admit their daily disbelief at the commander in chief’s comments and actions. Most are working to insulate their operations from his whims.

Meetings with him veer off topic and off the rails, he engages in repetitive rants, and his impulsiveness results in half-baked, ill-informed and occasionally reckless decisions that have to be walked back.

“There is literally no telling whether he might change his mind from one minute to the next,” a top official complained to me recently, exasperated by an Oval Office meeting at which the president flip-flopped on a major policy decision he’d made only a week earlier.
The erratic behavior would be more concerning if it weren’t for unsung heroes in and around the White House. Some of his aides have been cast as villains by the media. But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful.

It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.

1 Like Save     Thanked by cattyles
d_gw

The result is a two-track presidency.

Take foreign policy: In public and in private, President Trump shows a preference for autocrats and dictators, such as President Vladimir Putin of Russia and North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, and displays little genuine appreciation for the ties that bind us to allied, like-minded nations.

Astute observers have noted, though, that the rest of the administration is operating on another track, one where countries like Russia are called out for meddling and punished accordingly, and where allies around the world are engaged as peers rather than ridiculed as rivals.

On Russia, for instance, the president was reluctant to expel so many of Mr. Putin’s spies as punishment for the poisoning of a former Russian spy in Britain. He complained for weeks about senior staff members letting him get boxed into further confrontation with Russia, and he expressed frustration that the United States continued to impose sanctions on the country for its malign behavior. But his national security team knew better — such actions had to be taken, to hold Moscow accountable.

This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over.

The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.
Senator John McCain put it best in his farewell letter. All Americans should heed his words and break free of the tribalism trap, with the high aim of uniting through our shared values and love of this great nation.

We may no longer have Senator McCain. But we will always have his example — a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue. Mr. Trump may fear such honorable men, but we should revere them.

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first. But the real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans.

The writer is a senior official in the Trump administration.

1 Like Save     Thanked by cattyles
blfenton

Most people only care about the economy rather than the "more than that".

The only people who care about this op-ed are the ones who go beyond caring about just the economy.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

Treasonous.

9 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

This is good, to have people in the administration looking out for, and attempting to ptrotect America's interests

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

So, this 'verified insider' admits the president isn't really in charge:

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

The root of the problem is the president’s amorality.

====================================

This is supposed to reassure us?

The erratic behavior would be more concerning if it weren’t for unsung heroes in and around the White House. Some of his aides have been cast as villains by the media. But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful.

This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

They are NOT being good Americans if they are not talking to Congress, DoJ, and Mueller. Scary stuff.

========================

I really, really wonder at the true purpose of this missive. The NYT simply publishing this without giving background is just playing into their hands (reads as if Miller wrote it, to me --- but waiting for those with more knowledge of the staff to weigh in).

5 Likes Save    
Pidge

Trump's "press conference" audience consisted of a gaggle of law officers, not police, but folks who looked like security guards or folks at that level. They all applauded loudly but as the camera swung away, I watched one guy turn to the guy next to him and start laughing. This is ALMOST hilarious but essentially terrifying.

The WH is going bananas. What a follow up to the Woodward book, which just got pushed off the front page. And Kavanaugh? He's a sideshow but this attention directed elsewhere might really work for him.

Geez, what a couple of days!

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

It doesn’t make me feel better. What happens when he gets rid of these people? What if they miss something he hides from them? What is he hiding now about his communications with other leaders? secret meetings and phone calls don’t make me feel better at all.

7 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.

Sorry, not buying it. Why not precipitate a constitutional crisis? What you all are doing is not noble. There is a constitutional remedy, and it is not what you are doing. This is why we elect a Vice President. I don't like Pence, but that's how it should be handled. Your so-called quiet resistance is in itself unconstitutional. It makes for great theater though.

15 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Nothing about this op-ed is reassuring. It is worse than I had concluded.

16 Likes Save    
Kathy

But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful.

We evidently haven’t heard all the stupidity that has been covered up by insiders.

5 Likes Save    
enegiram

It is quite obvious there are NO adults in the room or the RepubiCon Congress. If there were, there would have been some action taken before this crazy man does something to harm the world. I hope there is a change in Congress come November 6, 2018. ADULTS are a MUST at this point, the kids do nothing but go on playing and ignore the big orange thing that is acting out.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

We do not know who is running the country.

(Fingers crossed ---- this impacts voting for Senators in 2 months)

6 Likes Save    
Miz_G

Yup. Nothing noble here at all. Just a bunch of politicians riding the fence .... trying to save face for themselves and their party, rather than doing what’s best for our country. We know Trump is deranged and wholly unfit to be POTUS. He proves it daily with his crazy babbling, lies, rants, threats, ignorance, everything. So do something about it, insiders, or keep trying to babysit him because you’re afraid of pursuing the 25th. Just don’t act like you’re dying on the cross here. You aren’t .... trying to keep it under wraps, not giving your name, and just holding your finger on the leak proves it.

This is such a chaotic, cluster**** of a presidency — Putin and other hostile powers must be thrilled beyond their wildest dreams.

14 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

They don't want the presidency to end ---- as they are doing what they want done. They think the country is doing so much better with them in charge.

6 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I am with Kathy. I don't feel better either.

Congress ought to be impeached. They are the ones letting this circus continue. They have a constitutional obligation to check and balance.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

There is an elephant in the china shop and some one locked the door so he doesn’t get out? How much damage can he do locked in there? The reasoning behind this op ed is severely flawed.

6 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Omarosa

Save     Thanked by cattyles
d_gw

As per usual, you've missed a few important details.

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers. We invite you to submit a question about the essay or our vetting process here.

It can't be Omarosa because she isn't a current employee.

11 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Trump supporters will denounce this as the deep state....in a way I guess it is. However, I believe that many of them know in their heart that as much as they have embraced him, thinking he is the reason the economy is doing so well, they know he is not emotionally balanced nor intellectually equipped for the job he holds.

Will be interesting to find out who this senior advisor is........and we will. We do know it's an appointee not a long time civil servant. Someone Trump appointed.

ETA..would love, love , love of it was K A C.....but I doubt it .

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Nope, it's not deep state. How do I know? They say so: (sarcasm on my part - doubt it for them)

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

KAC husband is not a Trump lover and Trump may be on her case because of the Woodward book. It could be her, imho.

1 Like Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

Dan Bloom has a theory that the author is Pence. The word "lodestar" is used in the Op-Ed. Bloom searched for Pence's past use of "lodestar" and found more than a few. It isn't a commonly-used word. Those who bounce around on Twitter can see it here. I'll paste a few of his tweets about it.

"Lodestar" just seems like an unusual word to use in general, not to mention in an op-ed that's going to be widely read. It has this whiff of sanctimony. So I search for John Kelly and James Mattis ever having used the word "lodestar." Nothing. But then...

5:57 PM - 5 Sep 2018

More

...an example pops up of Vice President Mike Pence using the word "lodestar" in a speech at the UN in September 2017. https://blogs.state.gov/stories/2017/09/20/en/keeping-peace-vice-president-pence-addresses-un-security-council …

He cites other uses of "lodestar" as well.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
Kathy

Dirtygert....that is interesting....

1 Like Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Henry Kissinger used lodestar in his eulogy for McCain. I know he's not in the administration, but just saying.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
Nothing Left to Say

This makes me more worried. Not less.

4 Likes Save    
cattyles

Some people parrot a word or phrase without being aware of it. I thought of Pence, too.

But Kelly seems most likely.

Save    
Nothing Left to Say

I don’t think it can be Pence. Trump can’t fire him, so that doesn’t fit with the “job would be jeopardized.”

3 Likes Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

Everybody's got a "tell".

1 Like Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

"job would be jeopardized" might just be there to throw off the scent.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

I don’t think Pence would risk it. He is biding his time, not a whistleblower.

4 Likes Save    
Lily316

I mentioned Pence to my daughter as a possible person. These people are cowards. Their agenda and damn the country. Read the comments on NY times article.

2 Likes Save    
judeNY_gw

Just as I suspected while reading it, that's how we're going to find out who it is. Speech patterns. The same way plagiarism is uncovered. And whoever it is, is not too bright to think they will not be discovered. Not bright enough to be running the country.

6 Likes Save    
Miz_G

Before the “LOLOLOLOL anonymous sources fake LOLOLOL!!!” mimicry of Trump’s recent rants about anonymous sources gets here, let me post a reminder of his hypocrisy. One example of many tweets from the past:

Along with the names Jim Barron, his “friend Jim who goes to Paris”, and others:

http://fortune.com/2016/05/18/donald-trump-fake-names/

The only difference is that Trump actually is a fake, and proud of it, despite his recent spewing about it. The NYT (yeah, yeah, “failing” and “fake news!” yada yada) knows who this is. Maybe they’ll have their own leaker who will say who the source is. Maybe it’s several sources, working together. I wouldn’t want to be in the WH once The Dictator sees this.

6 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

I really do not think the NYTimes would do that. They would have come up with different, but truthful, phrasing.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Hannity will talk Hillary's emails, Tucker will revisit those crazy horny pandas.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

WH officials know Trump is unfit for his duties, doesn't have the temperament, is a disaster waiting to happen . . . but are silent.

Crickey, can it get much worse than this? Trump starts raving and ranting through the WH at midnight, and we have no adults to deal with the situation.

Wouldn't the WH officials be considered "deep state" in that they are trying to act as a shadow government? They are thwarting Trump's will.

5 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

I also think it might have been written by more than one person, with just one of the group approaching the paper.

10 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Good thought, crl.

I've read that Deep Throat of Watergate was more than just one person giving information to Bernstein and Woodward.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

We don't know who is part of this 'dark' administration. Could be anyone. Probably a somewhat joint effort.

And, I do think 'deep state' would qualify.

3 Likes Save    
ann_t

I would like it to be Sessions. Would at least explain why he takes all the abuse from Dementia Don.

Or what about a family member like Kushner?

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

So then there is some sort of puppet master. I have had a feeling General Kelly has been staying on to protect the US in any sort of way he can. My bet Kelly is at least one of the adults in the room. Others are begging him to just hold on a little bit longer. I have been surprised he has held up this long but is being loyal to the Office of the Presidency, not the President.

3 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

It got quiet around here a couple hours ago. Seems to be a temporary retreat.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

I don't think it's Kelly......just not something I think he would do...and that is not a compliment.

I think it may be one of the Intelligence appointees.......Coates, Haspel, Pompeo, Wray ???.....maybe even Bolton.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

What about Dan Coates?

1 Like Save    
Lily316

But these people are running a shadow government just to get their agenda out there like deregulating environment laws, passing tax cuts benefiting the wealthy.

4 Likes Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

cattyles

Some people parrot a word or phrase without being aware of it. I thought of Pence, too.

But Kelly seems most likely.

You might have something there, cattyles. Could be that Kelly, that sly ole military dog, purposely used Pence's word "lodestar" to throw the scent onto Pence. Hope it all becomes clear at some point.

Save    
chase_gw

I'm going with Coates.....

Save    
ohiomom

So I read that Nicole Wallace said there has been a "coup", which is what they would call it in another country.

Whoever is in charge was not elected by "we the people".

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Nick Ayers is Pence’s CoS. Who has the most to gain if Trump is gone?

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

First to permit the person to be anonymous, what I am hearing the paper would not do this for someone unless they really trust the source. I would think that would be either John Kelly or Pence. Pence I am sure has been sitting in the corner scratching out Vice in front of President and he has completed all his scratching and ready to step up. Before the midterms.

Edit to add maybe Session.

3 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Come to think about it. Are they not at this point propping up a illegitimate crazy man at this point. They need to take the next step and come out of the shaddows and shine a cleansing light of day on Trump's presidency.

Who knows maybe Graham. He did have some harsh words for Trump for a while then backed off. Maybe he is just leading Trump on now....but then again maybe Trump has something on Graham to get him to heal. Who knows. We could really let our imagination run wild with this.

Per cattyles and crl comments below. I stand corrected, Graham not part of admin and simpering still.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

If it was Pence himself it could be construed as self-serving. It might be someone close and supportive of Pence.

1 Like Save    
mtnrdredux_gw

Pence I am sure has been sitting in the corner scratching out Vice in front of President and he has completed all his scratching and ready to step up

LOL

They need to take the next step and come out of the shaddows and shine a cleansing light of day on Trump's presidency.

This is correct. I am tired of feeling insecure with this horrific inept evil Illegitimate President purportedly at the helm. GET HIM OUT NOW.

10 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Someone is telling us the presidt is not enin charge. Yet, this administration is allowed to put forth a nominee for SCOTUS? This cannot be right. Guess it could be an impeachable moment.

8 Likes Save    
don_socal

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers
within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a
complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to
precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer
the administration in the right direction until — one way or another —
it’s over.

No balls!

11 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The Atlantic has a piece titled: This Is a Constitutional Crises (which I've been thinking but I'm no expert).

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/this-is-a-constitutional-crisis/569443/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=2018-09-05T20%3A54%3A49&utm_content=edit-promo

Sen Corker supposedly said: [[Deleted what I read Corker said as I can't find another source.]]

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

Izzy, Graham had an interview with Blitzer right after the news broke. He whimpered, rolled over and showed his belly while praising Trump.

4 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

Graham is not a part of the administration. Can’t be him.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It doesn't really have to be someone that is a known part of the administration. (It probably isn't one person.)

1 Like Save    
Lily316

And this shadow government will pick the next SC nominee and join in the2020 campaign. Spineless cretins.

4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

So are they waiting until trump does something really horrific like nuking his enemy? They have a higher calling than their jobs. I would like to tell this person and all in that administration that when trump goes down, and he will go down, they will go down with him. The taint of working for trump will be with them for the rest of their lives. They still have time to salvage their reputations by coming forward but the longer they wait, the more they will be held accountable. And I repeat, they have a higher calling than their jobs.

8 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

This is from the main page just now from FoxNews

Most of it is about Woodward's book, not the NYT op-ed

2 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first.

No, they aren't.

We want the administration to succeed and thing that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

Safer? Where do they get these delusions? Not me, not a lot of people. Club perks for Republicans only.

But we believe our first duty is to this country...

Their agenda and power are first and foremost in their minds, by their own words.

17 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I wish whoever this is would resign and come out with it all but I suspect the specific information he has is restricted....so he can't outline it directly anyway

I'm not sure what good this will do except to entrench each side........maybe it moves some Independents.

What a mess

6 Likes Save    
mtnrdredux_gw

nasty tax cuts, environmental deregulations and an even big military budget.

In fairness, that is the Republican agenda, and, as far as we know, they did win. So they would feel justified.

Personally, I think it is possible that when all is said and done it will be less clear that the American people elected this azz. Not sure what we will learn as things continue to unfold, just a hunch.

5 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Have another crazy theory. Maybe the timing of this before midterm elections is for the benefit of Republicans who are getting fed up with Trump and are thinking of jumping the fence to "the other side". If they think someone is trying to do something about Trump it will keep them from jumping. It's possible, maybe. Why don't they stop hiding and save our country!!!

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It cant be anyone recent like Bolton. It has to be a long term insider, someone who knows the history of 25th amendment discussions. I do recall that idea suddenly floating around early in the administration. It came out of nowhere. I wonder that it is a cabinet member as this person talks about The Cabinet. There is nothing inclusive about that. Kelly has been around a long time but I don't see him doing this. Geeze, someone in Trumps orbit panicked.

1 Like Save    
Miz_G

Plot twist: it’s “John Barron”, one of Trump’s alter egos.

I’m kidding! We really need the Q anon take here. We’re just normies, they know The Plan.

John Barron “A very credible source, the most credible to ever, um, credibiblate.”

14 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Oh, I did like Pence. He lusts after being president but if Trump is impeached it damages the brand. Look what happened after Nixon. We got total outsider Carter, Mr Clean. Pence would be schmeared by having gone along with Trump and touting the party line. He even removes his water bottle from the table aping Trump. In a Machiavellian world it would be Pence. A 25 amendment removal saves the brand.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Maybe it's McConnell's wife?

1 Like Save    
Kathy
1 Like Save    
mayflowers

Pence is a Koch pick and they don't like trump.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Kathy ---- where did you get that thought about Nick Ayers? His Wikipedia page was changed just a few moments ago to include the word 'lodestar' (and nearly anyone could have made that change.

1 Like Save    
kacee2002

Call me cynical but I think this may be just an attempt to keep any trumpettes that might be starting to doubt the sanity of their overlord just a bit and begin to wake from the Kool Aid on their side and this is meant to assure them that "the adults are in charge" and will keep trump from sinking the nation.

Doesn't reassure me but nothing will until trump/pence and friends are all out of our White House.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Where did I get the thought? I think it is someone close to Pence who uses that word, and I googled and his name came up. He is aspiring young man who is floated as replacement to Kelly. Just makes some sense. Of course, it’s a guess. I think Pence is keeping his hands clean but someone close to him might think they are saving the party.

wow, I wonder if it said that when I read it? I don’t remember. I see your comparisons....that is freaky.

2 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

I bet a nickel on McGahn being part of it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
mayflowers

These officials are also setting up their noble defense for when the administration ends. They reveal that they were the adults in the room and they come out smelling like roses with their reputations untarnished.

1 Like Save    
kacee2002

After more thought I really wish whoever this is will truly be the adult in the room and come forward, identify themselves and bring out the evidence and truth of the presidents actions and what is going on in the White House.

Believe In Something

Even If It Means Sacrificing Everything

Just Do It

(timely NIKE plug)

11 Likes Save    
Kathy

One thing is apparent. There is a RW Resistance in the WH.

Save    
maddie260

Rank corruption through and through; they all belong in orange jumpsuits. Someone needs to take a bullet for 330 million people, and tell the truth about what is going on. A shadow government was not elected. The Congress is not doing its job. It is CRAZYTOWN.

7 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

One big problem that gyr_falcon and lily hinted at in their posts is that like him or not, Trump is the elected president and from what this letter seems to say, we have others in the WH who have set themselves up as the ones deciding what happens. For example, Cohn has admitted to removing papers from Trump's desk to keep him from ending trade agreements with South Korea and NAFTA. This is not okay (understatement of the year). Congress has been completely impotent and they are not operating as a co-equal branch of government.

Frankly, the author of this op-ed needs to come forward and out him or herself. Without that, this is just another weak attempt by someone in the administration to soothe his/her own conscience. Not good enough and too easily dismissed by 45 and his base.

ETA: Exactly Kacee.

6 Likes Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

On Rick Wilson's Twitter page, he has a 7-tweet memo to the WH NYT Op-Ed writer, calling the writer to come forward, advising the writer to come forward. Here is a snip of the last few tweets:

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Chase, Lawrence ODonnell thinks it is Coats too, based on the fact he is a friend of McCain and knows his time in politics is over.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Lawrence O has just made the case that it’s Coates. Old friends with John McCain and upon John’s death has reflected on what John would do. He’s 75, is holding his last government post, has nothing to lose.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I do agree it is someone/those concerned about national security. They seem to be okay with other policies.

1 Like Save    
An (PNW 6b)

Holy Hannah! I just got home from a super busy shift and didn't have time to read any news all day. What is happening?! This would be great news if it wasn't so frightening. Vindication doesn't mean much if we're all going down with the ship because no one in this administration has the nerve to do the right thing.

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

on consideration and I think someone above already said this and I didn't process it, this person has concerns about losing his job so it cant be Pence(rats) The national security angle has legs though.

Save    
mary_md7

In reading this, what I saw was "Yeah, the president is a whack job but a bunch of us [unelected staffers are trying to keep a lid on him while advancing things like tax cuts for the rich and gutting environmental and consumer-protection regulations." t sound like assuring the base that the agenda goes on even if Trump appears unstable.

4 Likes Save    
hericles

Clue - Trump Edition

The anonymous Op Ed author wants tRump to succeed. This article simply provides Republicans with a comfort zone knowing that "there are adults in the room."

Most Republicans LOVE having a bellicose bigot waxing racist and demeaning Democrats and minorities , saying things that they basically agree with but would never say themselves. So tRump is sport for Republicans. Oh no, they aren't bigots and surely not racists....they only support a flaming hair on fire bigot ~ because of his policies ~. Sure..OK..

To he11 with this story. It's just another distraction from the Kavanaugh confirmation and from some of the election contests.

Democrats need to stay focused on winning as many seats as they can in the House and Senate in the mid terms.

6 Likes Save    
Linda(8)

I call BS on this. NOBODY in this administration is protecting the people. This illegal corrupt traitorous administration is part of the problem, not the solution. And maybe they really think this BS article is reassuring us. It's not reassuring me in any way whatsoever. Propping up a moronic corrupt traitor so he can together with his gang of thugs can continue on his merry way destroying our government? No.such.thing! Whoever it is...is part of the conspiracy against the people, against the constitution, against democracy, against freedom of the press, against freedom of speech, against everything decent, good, ethical and honest left in DC. Are they trying to re-write history in advance? CYA, PURE and SIMPLE.

9 Likes Save    
lily316

I watched Laurence tonight and kinda agree with him about Coates. He's 75 and is probably at the end of his career. Maybe he used lodestar in a way to cast aspersions on Pence. Laurence and Rachel were in top form tonight. Love them both. Tucker meantime was talking about the "crazy leftie" who won in Boston.

2 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

Enough of this stuff. Stand up in the light of day and tell your stories. All of them, right from the beginning. Admit that what you're confronting now is the end result of 40 years of conservative politics and all the government-is-the-problem malfeasance you've been imbibing since you were wingnuts in swaddling. The fire's licking at your ankles at last. Come out of the cupboards, you boys and girls. None of you are heroes.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a22998786/anonymous-trump-white-house-op-ed-new-york-times/

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump is unfit to be President but they the self described hero’s are keeping us safe? Not!

That isn’t Coats talking imho.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

There's been no doubt in my mind all along that there was an internal resistance in the WH only because this WH has leaked like a sieve from the get-go. There were hints even during the transition that the national security folks were not sharing everything with the president for fear he couldn't be trusted with the information. Most of what this op ed includes is stuff we've already heard many times from many others...I mean some of the stuff the wapo has published included 20 senior wh sources, so yeah...there are many insiders who know how crazy this all is. Heck even bannon said the 25th amendment was the most likely way the president would be removed (of course trump had no idea what that even was.)...bannon puts the odds of trump completing his term at 30%. We know guys like mattis and kelly stay out of duty to the nation as they've told us so.

The trumplicans can try to blame it all on the dems or the witch hunt or the deep state or whatever, but as I've said before, it's trump's own people who are doing the leaking...the WH is full of republicans, not dems. They're the ones ringing the alarm bells here. Put hillary and obama aside and open your eyes to what a flaming disaster this guy is and the threat he is to our national security and sovereignty. The poor Nicaraguan family at the TX border is not the real threat here. trump&co are.

9 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Conservatives would be just as torqued to find out that there were shadow people in a Democrat's administration. We didn't elect these people no matter how noble they think their cause.

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Let's be clear, any leaker is not "Trump's own people". I'm amused at the lack of total and complete support of the supposed insider, but I do agree that if "anonymous" does not come forward, this op ed is just another liner for the bird cage.

Save    
Kathy

The op ed claims their is a 2 track Presidency. There are Trumpers and there are “others” who are Republicans. My guess is they are Pence followers. Ted Cruz types.

one is as bad as the other.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"I'm amused at the lack of total and complete support of the supposed insider"

So, you think that liberals should be happy with this person? If there was such a person in Obama's team, would you have been happy?

Save    
leona_2008

I suspect the actor/author rehearsed his denial before submitting their piece. I question their motive, their timing and their choice of NYT.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"and their choice of NYT"

Would any conservative media have printed it?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
ojo_sigo

We have had a lot of claims about Trump's behavior before and this is not the first time the WH appears closer to crazytown than Camelot, what is new is the staffers covering their azz in anticipation of the showdown.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

sunflower_petal(5a)

"I'm amused at the lack of total and complete support of the supposed insider"

So, you think that liberals should be happy with this person? If there was such a person in Obama's team, would you have been happy?

^^^^

I thought liberals would be happy with this person.

Save    
Kathy

Lilac, I am not happy. Someone in the WH is saying Trump is unstable but they will just stand by and let him run the ship hoping they can steer it if it goes off course. They want to assure the party adults are in the room. That doesn’t assure me.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The whole comparison with the obama administration isn't relevant as obama was sane, thoughtful, and had the respect of the people around him because he deserved it. He was up to the job and did it well and honestly. You may not have liked his policies or choices, but he was doing the job.

What's happening here is trump doesn't have the respect of the people around him because he's totally incompetent, untrustworthy and downright dangerous. He is not up to the job, he's not capable of doing it, and he's as corrupt as they come. He is not mentally fit. I think one of the best descriptions of trump comes from Gary Cohn:

"Trump is less a person than a collection of terrible traits."

6 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
dandyfopp

Anyone still in the WH is either a bootlicker or Donnie is too much of a puss to fire them.

They have to flatter him. They have to let him think he has won.

They wouldn't be there unless Donnie put them there.

So yes its his own people turning on him, trying to have it both ways.

Yeah he is a disaster bent on destroying the country, but we are getting some stuff we want, don't worry, we are keeping the red button in a locked drawer until this is over one way or another.

Talk, no action, and history will give no points for those who could have stopped him but didn't no matter how many op-eds written.

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Frankly, I think the author of the op-ed was trying to be supportive of trump's policies as a way to tell his supporters that trump's agenda is not a reason to stick by him. It's ok to dump trump and still have a conservative policy bent in the administration.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

How will foreign policy be trustworthy if Trump isn’t really running the ship? Maybe Putin won’t trust Trump now since he is being thwarted by his staff? That could set up a scenario Trump will have to assure Putin he is in charge. The repercussions from this are dire.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Let's be clear, any leaker is not "Trump's own people".

No, let's be clear: trump is such a threat to national security that even people who supported him and his policies, agreed to work for him and his administration, upon seeing him in action, are ringing the alarm bells about him. He is that OTT. He is that dangerous.

9 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I would think the risks already of having had unwitnessed, unrecorded meetings between trump and putin and trump and un would've been enough for his staff to pull the plug on him....but apparently not.

The problem is we have no idea how far or deep the kompromat goes...

3 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

are ringing the alarm bells about him. He is that OTT. He is that dangerous.

^^^^^

How can that person be Trump's person? It's incompatible.

And what good does this op ed do? Nothing.

He wants to avoid a constitutional crisis by telling us we have one?

Sorry, this undermines Trump and that's not a Trump person.

The swamp seeks to find it's center again. Trump has disrupted the equilibrium and the swamp is having none of it.

Save    
d_gw

We've been through versions of this before. Cheney and Bush, Reagan and his dementia.

The difference is that Trump's public behavior is so alarming that someone inside had to send up a flare.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

Is there anything in that op ed about Russia? About Trump being compromised or owned by Russia?

Save    
ojo_sigo

The ship analogy is spot on as more and more jump to avoid going down when Trump goes down. As the saying goes, rats are the first to leave.

Many people wanted Chelsea Manning jailed for life (or worse) being a threat to national security, but she looks like a hero compared to a WH full of sycophants more concerned with self-preservation.

5 Likes Save    
catspat(aka)

He is that dangerous.

Even as some of those around him actively maneuver and manipulate to conceal his unfitness, in order to, as they admit, accomplish their agenda. No, there is nothing to be happy about here -- this is a travesty.

3 Likes Save    
Miz_G

This whole thing certainly leaves more questions than answers. It’s not surprising to some of us, isn’t believed by others, so really accomplished nothing.

That the NYT knows the source(s) makes me think it absolutely IS a Trump insider. I fully believe we’ll know someday who wrote it, and I fully believe the NYT knows we’ll know.

Save    
cattyles

Reasonable people are able to change their minds when facts and evidence are undeniable. Why would the crew go down with the captain that steered the ship into an iceberg rather than saving passengers and themselves?

I agree that these people that wrote the op ed should step forward and bring it all into the light but I’m grateful for anything that starts the process.

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

How can that person be Trump's person? It's incompatible.

It's the mother who loves her son and supports him through everything, but finally faced with incontrovertible proof that he's a murderer, calls the anonymous tip line to turn him in.

And what good does this op ed do? Nothing.

It's all about the people at the margin.

In order for this situation to be corrected, there has to be a sufficient weight of support of the American people to remove a sitting president...impeachment, 25th amendment, resignation. Now some people are never trumpers, some are always trumpers but in the middle is a group of people who may be swayed one way or the other...it is those this op ed is designed for...to provide them with reasons to remove trump for his inability to perform the job yet maintain the conservative policies and agenda that they support...and in fact send the signal that it's the people around him who are actually doing the job, despite him, and therefore his removal will make the country even safer.

6 Likes Save    
j4c_11

Well, what's undeniable is there's people inside the administration working to undermine a duly elected President. But we already knew that. The swamp is fighting back.

Save    
Kathy

The op ed is compatible with Woodward’s book. It will make Trump more paranoid and cause him to act more unstable. Someone in the WH is concerned about some of Trump’s policies and most likely will gain from Trump's demise and that someone is a Republican.

They are not hero’s, they are cowards if they believe he is unstable and yet the enable him to stay in office.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump is the swamp. Look at the guilty and indicted. They are Trump associates.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Whoever wrote the op ed is still putting their job over the country. They are slightly more moral than Trump which is still treasonous imho.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Well, what's undeniable is there's people inside the administration working to undermine a duly elected President.

The question your not asking j4c11 is why. Why are so many smart, capable people who are getting close to this guy appalled and frightened by what they see? Why are so many who support conservative polices willing to divert and distract trump from his wilder policies to protect the nation? What choices are they seeing him make that they feel it's necessary to put up roadblocks? How volatile are his statements that they have to make choices as to which statement to follow when?

You see, the answer to the why is trump. *He* is the problem. *He* is what they are trying to protect the nation from.

The Constitution provides for several paths for removing a sitting president...but his own people find him so dangerous that they need to insulate the nation from his worst behaviors until one of those paths can be pursued.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

GF this a.m. suggested the author is ivanka...but I don't think so. Probably just like deep throat, we're not guessing the right person at all.

Save    
Kathy

Ziemia.

....look at Ayers wiki page, it doesn’t say lodestar anymore. How weird. On my iPad it doesn’t give latest revision, can you see when it was revised?

Save    
chase_gw

I' m more and more inclined to think it is McGhan. He is an uber conservative so would be conflicted because he does support the agenda but he ,more so than some , would be acutely aware of Trump's temperament etc and the danger he poses

The timing works, he was broadsided by Trump tweeting last week that he was replacing him after the mid terms. A vindictative reaction to the news McGhan had testified to Mueller for over 30 hours.

McGhan had nothing to lose....all he wants to do is see through the Kavanaugh appointment which has been his baby.

Who knows but timing, motive , consequence all seem to line up....and he has nothing to lose

2 Likes Save    
Linda(8)

It's like someone enabling an alcoholic employee to shield him from consequences instead of doing what is right and giving that employee a choice between rehab and their job. Fire the bum!

Save    
ojo_sigo

Thanks for that Linda, disease versus greed.

Save    
hericles

Is there anything in that op ed about Russia? About Trump being compromised or owned by Russia?

---------------------------------

No, the gist of it is that Trump is a crazy-good Prez and is in good hands Trumpers so don't worry....we got this.

Trump reacts predictably, escoriates the NYT as the enemy of the people and says the leaker may be somebody in the Justice Department ....maybe someone who has a stupid Southern accent....or his Deputy? Time to clean house in the Justice Department ("drain the swamp" as tRump Tweets) , tRump can't have this lack of loyalty any more!

1 Like Save    
Nothing Left to Say

Op-ed translated:

President Trump is facing a test to his presidency unlike any faced by a modern American leader.
The ship is going down, folks.

It’s not just that the special counsel looms large. Or that the country is bitterly divided over Mr. Trump’s leadership. Or even that his party might well lose the House to an opposition hellbent on his downfall.
We know he’s guilty. We know you hate him. We know we’re about to get our asses kicked.

http://dearcoquette.com/on-the-resistance-inside-the-trump-administration/

4 Likes Save     Thanked by cattyles
dirtygert(5-NY)

Crl_, DH and I enjoyed the op-ed translation. I almost always read the comment section. Often, the comments are just as interesting as the essays/op-eds/articles. One stood out there --- even though you can't tell from the comment exactly who it referenced (the op-ed writer or others as well) :

This letter shows they’re not just party over country, they are tribe over planet. Money over everything.

3 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

And the truth will set us free. I hope!

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Yesterday Steve Schmidt said if a military officer in charge of ballistic missles behaved like Trump he would have been taken away in a strait jacket long ago.

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm thinking that, though it may have been written as if from one person, that there were several people behind the op-ed...

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

What does it say about your staff if someone writes something like that and you have 12+ possible people who could have done it?

4 Likes Save    
alexrander

Ah, plausible deniability. Grand Inquisitor: "Did you write it?" …."Well, no, never, I did not write it! (or at least all of it).. (my Senate cousin might have helped".)…(and that guy over there, and Kelly proof read it and...)

Save    
mayflowers

Bob Corker:

“I didn’t look at it as new news. I mean, anyone who’s had any
dealings over there knows that this is the reality that we’re living in.
So I think a lot's been made out of nothing. I think the
biggest issue they’re going to have is figuring out who wouldn’t have
written a letter like that."

7 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

8 Likes Save    
d_gw

"The claim that everything will turn out okay because there are people inside the White House who secretly aren't following the President's orders, that is not a check," Obama said. "I'm being serious here. That's not how our democracy's supposed to work. These people aren't elected. They're not accountable."

He added, "They're not doing us a service by actively promoting 90% of the crazy stuff that's coming out of this white house, and then saying, 'Don't worry, we're preventing the other 10%.' That's not how things are supposed to work. This is not normal. These are extraordinary times. And they're dangerous times."

Obama speech 9/7/18

8 Likes Save    
jillinnj

This is not normal.

Thank you, President Obama

How many times have we said that over the last 1.5 years?

THIS.IS.NOT.NORMAL

Who is going to save us? Only we can. VOTE, dammit!

7 Likes Save    
leona_2008

^^^The voice of sanity.

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

d_gw. Yep agree wholeheartedly with those statements. They are propping up the presidency and are running agenda with no accountability. So who then is "in charge". We are just supposed to trust unnamed people they are doing the right thing, what's best. They need to get themselves all together and go before Congress in the light of day in public and tell the truth. This has gone on long enough, time to end the charades.

Added: If they are really seriously concerned about the safety of OUR country then they need to do more than an anonymous leak. Come on guys and gals get on with it.

3 Likes Save    
Linda(8)

"Hi! I'm an anonymous person who claims to be a senior advisor in Cheetomouth's administration. See, he's crazy, so I'm trying to keep him in office so the rich can get richer while the orange moron runs amuck and tries to drive every sane person left in the USA nuts also. I have no real power and couldn't really stop him if he wanted to blow the world up, but don't you feel SO better that I'm trying to keep him from losing power? Even if I were really what some idiots might hope I am, I might be fired at any moment, so oh well, watch out!"

Ah well, isn't that such good news!

8 Likes Save    
Kathy

Omarosa was on Hardball and she thinks it was Nick Ayers. She said it sounded like his notes and writings. I wouldn’t be surprised since he is Pences CoS and has aspirations in the GOP.

Bannon has always said Trump would be eliminated with the 25th Amendment so he could have arranged the whole thing with Mercer’s and KAC.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

This is sounding like a conspiracy to me. If, if Nick Ayers, then would be supportive of Pence. Bannon saying Trump would eventually getting 25th Amendment (ed) out of there. Basically toppling Trump (they figuring Trump would screw it up somehow) for Pence who probably had a snowflakes chance in that very warm place and viola (lurch) Pence is President.

With the chaos Presidency anything is possible.

Save    
Kathy

Izzy, Bannon is working hard in other countries and in US behind the scenes.

........“According to emails reported by Buzzfeed on Tuesday, Bannon said of Pence’s nomination: “This is the price we pay for cruzbots and #nevertrump movement. An unfortunate necessity … very.”

In the Republican primary Pence had endorsed, albeit weakly, the Texas senator Ted Cruz. His selection by Trump was viewed at the time as an attempt to reach out to social conservatives skeptical of the thrice-married New York real estate developer.

The pick was widely reported to be the result of efforts by the then campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, to push Trump to unite a party bitterly divided by Trump’s rise to defeat a crowded primary field.

Pence has since become a vital Trump ally, with loyalists like Marc Short and Nick Ayres occupying key roles in the administration. The vice-president has become an ardent surrogate for Trump in controversies ranging from the infamous Access Hollywood tape about groping women to recent criticism from the Tennessee senator Bob Corker about the president’s unpredictable behavior.”.........

1 Like Save    
lily316

My daughter and I think it's Kellyanne because she's a savvy journalist and it has a feminine style to the writing. (Daughter has her masters in Journalism). Deep throat's lawyer says it's John Huntsman.

By the way, Deep Throat denied for three or four decades he was the one. So there's that.

1 Like Save    
purrmich _6

Corker is right. It would be harder to find someone who wouldn't like to have done this, than find who did.

Of course others are doing trump's work. He does not put in a full workday, much less the late hours Obama did. He's lazy. You would think the hard working people of trump's base would resent his laziness.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

He told Kasich he would be able to run the gov while he did rallies. But he lies, so who knows, it might just have been enticement to get him as VP.

His associates are probably happy to have him out of the WH so they can do their thing. He has mostly just dismantled policies, no real work of solving anything.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I wonder if this trump watchdog is still in the White House? It's time for another Op-Ed.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Whether they are still there or not, it’s time.

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

This very editorial has been on my mind. I think another will drop prior to the next election from former members of this administration admonishing voters to NOT vote for dt. They will send a clear warning as to why.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I’m not sure anyone is steering the ship. Trump acts on his own without advisors and the safety nets seem to be gone. KAC May be a source because she and George are kept on—-why? I can’t figure them out!

Save    
maddie260

^^^^I've expressed this before. I heard a pundit opine that it's a good cop/bad cop scenario. They want jobs when this is over, so this is all a game to them. One says the good stuff, one the bad stuff. I always keep that in mind when I hear his tweets, hear her trash talk.

Save    
leona_2008

It's past time that all those who've left trump's administration grow a backbone and speak the truth. It's also past time that Republicans grow a backbone and remember they are supposed to be representing our citizens, not trump, not the NRA.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Leopards don't often change their spots.

In fact, I would argue they almost never do.

IOW, crooks going in = crooks going out. The best we can expect from some of those folks is retaliatory truth telling.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Salvage Houzz Tour: Wild Ideas in the Windy City
When bold art meets great architecture and interior design, something wonderful happens
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are a company that cares about our clients and the craftsmanship of the work we provide. Honesty, hard work,... Read More