SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

I want to make my own pillow

For sleeping at night. Has anyone done this? Any experience making a really firm, stable pillow?

After buying umpteen various pillows from the stores, including several that were advertised as being made for neck pain, I don't see how else I can get just what I seem to need.

Most commercial foam, down alternative, and feather pillows are too soft (even those labeled "firm") and allow my head to sink into a bad angle. Or, they are either too thick or too thin which produces the same problem. Neck or collar pillows don't support the head so not the answer either.

I currently have a pillow from Ikea which is/was the exact right thickness for me, and although it is memory foam, when new it was very firm and really didn't soften up and sink right away (most reviewers complain that it is too hard). although by early morning it did. But now, after a few months of use, it is softening and not as supportive.

I am thinking of layering towels with some batting (so there is just a little "give") and sewing them snugly into a pillow case.

I'd love to hear any ideas about materials and methods.

Comments (17)