SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
9re990

Optimal faucet/drain height/depth for undermount bathroom sink?

Greg
5 years ago

What are best practices for positioning a faucet in relation to an undermount sink drain to minimize splash-back? I'm interested more in fore/aft of the aerator in relation to the drain than up/down. I'm finding this is a common topic for vessel sinks. Is it less of a concern for undermounts?

The specifics:

Sink:

Kohler Katherine K-2297 undermount sink (approx 21" x 13")

This is a fairly wide and deep rectangular sink with a relatively flat bottom. The drain is in the center.

Faucet:

California Faucets Tamalpais wall-mount faucet (8-1/2" from wall to center of center of aerator)

I currently have the sink spec'd out so that the aerator is 4" above the countertop, which works out to 8-7/8" above the drain, and the center of the aerator is approximately 2" behind the center of the drain.

The faucet design appears to be a 90° bend, so the projection is going to be straight down.

In this configuration, the stream from the aerator will hit just behind the pop-up stopper and slope down to the drain.

I can easily have the sink positioned so the aerator is aligned directly over the center of the drain, which means the stream will project right onto the convex top of the pop-up stopper. It seems to me there would be more splashing this way than if the stream projects just behind the drain, as pictured above.

Would it make a difference either way? Am I overlooking anything. Am I overthinking this?

Comment (1)