SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

September, moving or dividing, after heavy rains?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I filled a new sloping bed with dormant sale hostas over the last 3 years. Some have done well, some have limped along; with the result that I’d like to tweak the layout. The really outstanding ones will go to a prime viewing bed. Some I think were mismarked and have proven to be too short for where they are, as well (Brim Cup vs. Wide Brim, for example)

I will have more time than usual this fall, starting in 2 weeks. I want to do some rearranging, plus a little division of some larger cultivars to add to a different bed.

I also have some minis, new plus divisions I potted up, that have yet to get into the ground. Those I would tackle right away, the moving around of in-ground ones would come later.

We have had torrential rain, though. 5 inches just yesterday. On top of several inches in the days before. Under such conditions, is it a GOOD time to move, or a bad time? I am wondering if the ground will be too waterlogged.

If it’s an especially good or bad time to move or plant, I’ll make a note of it. Thanks!

Comments (5)