SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockdale

What is the best time to move shrubs?

Rockdale (RI Z6)
5 years ago

I need to move two thrubs one is Hydrangea paniculata 'Lime Light' . It is at the south end of the bed and blocking sun for most of other plants. It is pretty big. I want to move it to north end of the bed and prune it shorter. If fall a good time or I should wait to spring 2019.

Another is Lilac miss kim, I want to move and also saw the root ball to get two plants - is that doable? It is at a location that I need to trim but after trim I find I do not get flower at all. Again, should I do the move and saw the root ball this fall or next spring when it dormant?

Thanks a lot

-rockdale

Comments (21)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don’t know if the species of lilacs that includes Miss Kim, Syringa pubescens subsp. patula, suckers like common lilac, so I am not sure if this is a shrub that can be whacked in two and survive.

i would likely wait until the end of September in your zone, not long before the leaves are likely to drop, though you could move it sooner if you want to do a bit more care. After moving, mulch well and keep an eye on soil moisture, not soggy, but not dry. If you move it earlier, you may want to rig a temporary shade during the hottest part of the day. Be aware that it is tough to maintain a smaller size by pruning a large sized panicled hydrangea since they regrow quickly, within a season. If you prune after the buds start swelling in spring, you may lose flowers, so you want it where it can grow to near its full size.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

i would do it when its dormant ... even better after the leaves fall off ... avoid all the stress of trying to maintain them ... when the plant should be shutting down ..

see this link.. section one on timing ...

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

leaves are food making machines.. you are in a catch 22 wanting to severely cut back a large plant ... removing all of next years leaf potential ... but on the other hand.. how much easier the job will be ...in other words.. it might not be best to transplant.. and cut back ... two different projects ...

without a pic.. its hard to opine.. but i might reduce it by half... and give it another year or two.. after the move ... before i begin hardcore rejuvenation pruning ....

btw.. plz clarify ... its too big where it is.. so you want to move it.. but then.. it sounds like it will be too big in the new spot hence the idea to whack at it .. perhaps its time to just get rid of it ... and plant something better sized to your wishes ...

lilac is not a perennial.. in the sense that you can divide it ... propagating lilac is usually along the lines of harvesting suckers off the sides ... if kim is that type ... what babs said ... the key with suckers.. is that they usually have some root on them.. and that little root is enough for the little plant ....

i would be concerned cutting off half a large plant.. and hoping there would be enough root mass to support it ...

in my MI .. i would do it in late September .. basically when the trees are starting to color or drop leaves ... thats a very good indication that everything is going into dormancy .... for your RI .... that should be about the same ...

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Lilac+miss+kim+propagation&t=ffcm&ia=web

• Related Discussions

Best time to move shrubs

Q

Comments (4)
    in z 5 and 6 ... april and october are the BEST times ... for trees.. shrubs.. conifer.. perennials.. frankly everything ... you can push that envelop with PROPER TLC ... but i increased my success rate to near 95% ... when i started HOLDING POTTED STOCK UNTIL PROPER PLANTING TIME .... rather than planting a few weeks before the severe heat of summer hits ... put the pots where the sun wont hit the pots... spend the summer perfecting the bed design .. and making a plan.. and do it at the right time.. IMHO ken
    ...See More

moving

Q

Comments (3)
    shrubs or conifers??? and where are you.. zone???? and more specifically.. what plants.. by name .... what soil type??? and how committed will you be to aftercare? ken
    ...See More

When is the best time to move a Hydrangea?

Q

Comments (2)
    The experts' rule-of-thumb is during dormant period, in the Fall or early Spring before they wake up. Before I knew any better, I've moved a few beauties around (at less than ideal times) as long as I get the entire root ball & with a lot of TLC ... moved 2 ESs 3x, F&E 2x, 2 Serratas in late Spring... they were young & it was easy to dig up the entire ball as if I was just moving a huge pot from 1 spot to a better one (I was blest!) ... DON'T follow my ignorant lead, unless you won't mind losing you beauty. I have an old Nikko I'm thinking to move, but fear the risk of losing 2 stems, on ground-layering status since 1st of June. If I toughen my chicken nature, I might still ... around mid-Nov ... & cross fingers/talking to Hydrangea gods all Winter!!! LOL A very old shrub would be difficult to move w/out some damage to roots! Experts will be responding soon! Good Luck!
    ...See More

When's the best time to move a Pink Velvet Banana

Q

Comments (1)
    xxxx
    ...See More
  • Rockdale (RI Z6)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the photos of the two shrubs.

Thanks ken and bab so the consensus is to do it this fall? My thought was do it just before it starts waking up (next spring like march?) - the time period between moving and they wake up is shorter the less chance it will go wrong?

Yes, The hydrangea will outgrow the location it moved to. I wanted to try to see if I can dig it out at all. If it is too hard. I probably just give up and prune it instead. :)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

we've moved 3 lime lights..they weren't full but were 6 ft tall..we don't have enough sun to grow beautiful specimens but they give us some screening below our towering trees..decided not to keep them in front and I thought rather than "shovel pruning" why not move them and fill gaps..they were tall and free!..all were moved in the summer..I remember one was moved on the 4th of July..that was before we retired and we had the day off..so far all are alive and well..I was faithful about watering after the move..

here's one..not beautiful but I'm glad we moved it..might prune it when I'm caught up with everything else lol..

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

I have divided a few shrubs successfully. They include bombshell hydrangea, two itea little Henry’s, and sunjoy pillar barberry. I used a saw, and paid special attention to watering...

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

I never move or plant anything in the fall. I like spring planting because then the plant has the whole spring and summer to grow roots and settle in. Planting in fall, I lose plants from the freeze/thaw/heave/freeze cycles. You'd have to do a lot of winter protection to keep that from happening.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I think when is best for transplanting may depend some on your soil. I have sandy loam soil and have never had a shrub have issues with not surviving a fall planting if it was fully hardy for me. Even perennials almost never heave. The sum total of my winter protection is mulch over the roots and keeping an eye on water until freeze or snow. In autumn, the soil is warm but the air is cool and days short so there is little stress on the plants. Even perennials rarely heave or have any problems with fall planting. I have lost about 1/4 of my spring-planted plants because the days are long and often hot while the soil is still cold, so the plant has leaves being pushed out, but not much if any root growth until the soil starts warming, so the plant comes under a lot of stress. If you have clay soil that is more likely to cause winter heaving, the situation may be different.

Garden Ho’s examples are all suckering shrubs, so that is the key as to whether you can divide it. Is there a single main stem on your Miss Kim with side branches off the main stem or are there many stems coming from the ground, ie suckers?

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

That may have helped my success, but I actually cut the rootball in half, with the exception of one of the Iteas as it had suckers off to the sides.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Fall is actually a recommended time for transplanting any woody plants as that is when the root system is in its most active period of growth. And this is really not location dependent. Woody plants - trees and shrubs - establish faster when planted in fall as the soil stays warm, temperatures are cool, roots continue to grow and elongate and there is usually plentiful rainfall.

I would also caution about trying to divide shrubs. They are not herbaceous perennials, never require dividing and unless you know what you are doing, you are more likely to kill the plant than successfully split it in two. I would take this approach even with caning or suckering shrubs (which the barberry is not, btw), although these may lend themslves to this practice easier than other shrub types.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

when I moved my lime lights I moved the entire shrub in one large rootball..so heavy we put it in a yard wagon..husband pulled the wagon and I walked alongside to keep the shrub upright..they were replanted in shade (that's all I have!) which probably gave them less stress..just giving some info about the move since it was a success..

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

Well, it must be my particular part of the country that has fall planting trouble because nurseries aren't even selling plants, just putting the ones they still have on sale.

We have a lot of freeze thaw here, with no snow cover during much of the time when this is happening. Plants almost always heave out of the ground. Zone 5 NY is a really iffy zone with very variable temps and snow cover. I've lost too many fall planted plants so I stick with spring and don't mind a little extra care till they "take."

I also have problems winter sowing in containers due to too much variability in climate. They all die. So it's under lights or in/on the ground for me.

Different strokes for different folks. Best to ask someone local to you for advice.

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was planning to move them this weekend. But they have not start dropping leaves yet. Should I wait for the leaves are gone? Or does not matter? Thanks again!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I would do it now.

• Rockdale (RI Z6)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Bab.

I dug it out this morning. Cut the root ball to 2 parts with a electric chainsaw. (Did make sure there is no rocks in there before I use the chainsaw) I forgot to take pictures after the cut, now they are planted in my veg garden. Will report back in spring if they survive.

Prob will move the hydrangea next couple weeks when I get time.

Thanks

• User
    5 years ago

Winter, for dormant deciduous shrubs (bare-root quite often) and summer for evergreens.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I need to move a large Salvia melissodora. I think I will do it before deciduousness because I need to be worried about root rot. I think October in the slow wind down but still some good growth left in the season. It is rated as a Z 9 salvia being grown in a Z8 area. It has lived for a long time but it has lost its sun due to a tree that had the gall too grow. It has not bloomed worth a darn lately.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Camps, Rockdale is somewhere in New England, where one cannot dig in winter. :>\

So now, not long before leaf drop, with ample rain, shorter days, warm soil, and cool air temperatures is usually a very good time.

• User
    5 years ago

Cheers Babs - tend to forget stuff like snow and ice. But yep, in that case, I concur - do it now (this is my frantic busy season).

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

Its that rock hard frozen ground that hampers digging. One needs a blow torch to get through that stuff. I have not experienced it lately but it was a feature of my youth.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

Two optimal times: In the early spring while they're dormant, or in the fall about a month or two before the ground freezes.