SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

Recent blooms in my N. Calif garden

Ann9BNCalif
5 years ago

Temperatures have been retreating and my first Japanese anemone bloomed last week. These changes signal an early fall is coming but so far my roses seem to like the weather and keep on blooming. Here are some recent blooms from the last couple of weeks.

Munstead Wood looking velvety and regal!

Tahitian Sunset glows in early fall sunlight.

The Endeavour Rose

Not sure if this is going to post!

Ann

Comments (43)

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok - looks like it posted so I'm add more!

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Koko Loco

Charles de Gaulle

A new rose for me is Spiced Coffee which has a sweet fragrance.

The first bloom of another new rose, Rachel Bowes Lyon

Mitsouko

Hope you enjoyed!

Ann

• Related Discussions

My Recent blooms

Q

Comments (3)
    These are all very pretty. I can't even pick a favorite because I like them all. I was just entering my workplace this morning here in southern Indiana and noticed that the Stella's at the entrance have a few scapes on them. That means mine can't be far behind. OH JOY!!
    ...See More

hostas coming back in N. Calif.

Q

Comments (2)
    Welcome GardenLynne! I'm down in Sunnyvale, next to San Jose. I do all mine in pots and they all come back. (Well maybe I lose one once in awhile). You probably get colder than I do, and much hotter too, so they might just do fine in the ground, as long as you don't mind staring at bare dirt all Winter and can diligently fight off the snails/slugs/mites. If they don't come up in Spring, dig them up to see if something killed the roots (critters or rot). Blue Mouse Ears and First Frost should've returned. GE can sometimes be a problem child for people no matter where they live. -Babka
    ...See More

Recently blooming in my garden

Q

Comments (10)
    I look forward to all your photos. They are all so beautiful. I also love your Red Eden. I had debated about getting that one but read somewhere that it gets blackspot and wasn't a good bloomer.. Yours is to die for. How does it do for you on repeat blooming and do you spray in your garden? ~sjn
    ...See More

Best rose standards for N. Calif 9b climate

Q

Comments (11)
    I am certainly outside of your area, and I am not sure what kind of availability you have there. Your selections may be somewhat limited to what you can find locally. But I have greatly appreciated my Austin standards more than some of the HTs, because they are bushier, and the shape is more gentle. This varies of course. If you have a chance to look at the bush forms before selecting, I would suggest doings so before choosing. One of my HT standards has very straight, stiff branches, which sometimes looks severe, instead of a gentle round shape. Iceberg for example makes a brilliant standard rose. My favorite standard is Winchester Cathedral, but it is not among the most fragrant of the Austins. There is little scent. No matter, it is a lovely shape and the blooms are often a surprise, occasionally streaked with pink. I rescued it from a bargain bin at the end of the sale season, and it has certainly repaid me handsomely.
    ...See More
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Glad to hear TS is working out for you! Hope to see some photos!

Ann

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Wow, Ann. The photos even went into your original post!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Sheila! I’m surprised too that the first three photos were part of the original post.

Ann

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    5 years ago

Beautiful! Your roses always have such lovely, saturated colors - a bit of a strange question, but do you happen to know what pH your soil is? Also, what do you feed them with (if anything)?

Ann9BNCalif thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you cyndita! I don't know anything about my soil other than that it's heavy clay. I give my roses some fish emulsion several times during the growing season coinciding with the holidays starting with Easter through Labor Day.

Ann

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Beautiful, Ann. I'm not familiar with Mitsouko or Charles de Gaulle, but they're gorgeous from your pics. I'm impatient for Koko's fall flush - I so love the chocolate/lavender blooms.

Ann9BNCalif thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Karen! You have a lovely collection of roses. I think we may have started rose growing about the same time. I started in 2011 and have been enjoying them from day one.

Mitsouko was introduced in 1970 so it's an oldie from Delbard (France). I got it from Palatine in Canada but I just noticed they aren't selling it this year. It handles heat well and is almost always in bloom. It's quite variable in color.

I also got Charles de Gaulle from Palatine as well. It appears on their website as available beginning this fall. CdG is a small rose that would be great for a pot but I've got in the ground. This rose is very strongly fragrant and consistently so. I live where it's very windy and sometimes that affects fragrance but not for CdG.

Ann

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

All lovely Ann. I'm particularly glad to see Rachel Bowes Lyon. I've had her for at least 15 years but never hear much about her. Local bees love to roll around in her blooms.

Ann9BNCalif thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Mary! Could you share how big yours is and a photo if you have one? I was just looking at Rachel this morning and she’s got a nice bloom cluster coming in a lovely peachy shade with pretty golden stamens that I’m sure bees will love. Does yours have any fragrance? So far, mine has none.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

Your roses are so lovely. I forget just how velvety beautiful Munstead Wood could be until I see a photo such as yours.

Ann9BNCalif thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Wow Ann :) your roses are magnificent. Keep posting. How do you like your Alexandra of Kent? Love the rich deep color of Mustead wood.

Ann9BNCalif thanked dianela7analabama
  • maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

I'll have to measure it tomorrow Anne. And alas, nothing currently for taking pictures.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Geez - first they kept dropping my zone, now they have doubled it. I'll let it stay that way until, hopefully, they make up their minds.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patty - MW gets a lot more velvety as the weather cools. Here he is from last fall.

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

dianela - Princess Alexandra of Kent has been a very reliable bloomer, fragrant, and a good cut flower. She can be a bit large and sprawling but I prune her back a lot after the first flush. She can be a bit thorny but not as thorny as Munstead Wood. In my garden, she's a keeper. Here's a collage from last year.

Hope that helps!

Ann

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow Ann what a beauty. I have some small ones growing in too much shade and definitely my bloom don’t look like these at all yet. I was concerned the Rose wasn’t a great performer, but it must be my shade. I will get some more and put them in full sun, because I love yours. Thank you very much for sharing.

Ann9BNCalif thanked dianela7analabama
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You're welcome dianela! The Princess definitely needs to be in full sun.

Good luck!

Ann

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    5 years ago

Beautiful roses Ann!

Ann9BNCalif thanked Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
  • hugogurll
    5 years ago

Make sure you give PAK plenty of space. It grows sideways.

Ann9BNCalif thanked hugogurll
  • KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    5 years ago

Ann, your roses are making me jealous. my Munstead Wood is dying and I couldn't figure out why. And Princess Alexandra of Kent only gives me one or two blooms at a time. I use Dr. Earth rose food every 2 months. I am gonna add some fish emulsion to see how it works.

I bought Paradise Found from Regan today. They are having a 50% sale in September. Hope I can enjoy beautiful blooms like yours!

Ann9BNCalif thanked KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
  • maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

My Rachel Bowes Lyon is about 6 feet from top of potting soil and relatively skinny. I don't know that mine is a good standard to go by -- here is her tale.

I got her I think about 20 years ago, own root from Vintage. All I remember from the first few years is no/minimal rebloom. I changed her location and things got better. She has been in the same pot for at least 10 years, maybe 15. Soil has never been totally replaced, just more put on top during annual feeding with compost/mulch on top to fill back up as the original potting mix receded. She is in a regular 15 gal. pot so it's taller but narrower than my usual, which could account for her narrow growth pattern. All the pots in that area have extra drilled holes on the bottom and are sitting in rocky dirt so I know those anchor roots are way down in the ground.

She stands up to neglect really well - the last several years she hasn't got much attention but just keeps on blooming. Never got fed this year and during the prior 2 years of drought & high temps was watered every 3rd week and did fine. In fact he majority of my older roses were fine with that. I think the advantage was the anchor roots going down through the pot.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to clarify that her treatment here is probably a great deal different from in your yard but she certainly hangs in there. Now that I'm paying more attention it will be interesting to see the difference.

PS - I've never been able to detect a fragrance

5 years ago

Ann - thank you for responding to my question above, & sorry for the delay in getting back to it - work interfered. That's a good idea to time the fish emulsion to the holidays, thanks for the tip!

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

K&J - I feel for you and here's some watering and feeding advice based on my garden. After trying some different watering schemes, I've settled on watering for 20 minutes using drip irrigation every two days or about 3x a week. My emitters seem to be water stingy or set up for an established plant, meaning about 3 years in the ground. So for plants that are in year one or two, I give each one some extra water - at least one or two extra gallons a week. Since your climate is about 10 degrees hotter than mine -- 95 vs. 85 for me, you might need to water more. You could test this out with your new Paradise Found rose and see if it makes a difference. Consistently hot weather will stress roses and they need to conserve their energies to survive so blooming may not be priority in the height of summer. I noticed that Cori Ann said recently that in her typically 100+ degree summers, her roses were only really blooming well in spring and fall.

Another idea is to use the fish emulsion. Dr. Rose is a good product but works more indirectly on the plant by improving the soil. Most plants respond well to a liquid solution which acts quickly and directly on the roots. You could test out the fish emulsion on PF and see if it works. I try to give each rose about a gallon of the fish emulsion solution along with a good deep watering prior to pouring solution around the base of the plant. After watering normally for about 10 days, I give the rose another good watering. This typically produces a nice new flush of leaves. I know the importance of conserving water but if your MW is dying, you might try giving it more water to save it.

Due to mobility issues (I need a hip replacement), I've limited my fertilizing to brand new plants and any year two plants that might need an extra boost. MW and PAoK are planted next to each other and seem to bloom well without much more than water since they're well established after about five years. I wish I could do more for them but can only appreciate their resilience for now.

Hope that helps! Good luck with PF.

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Mary for that information on your Rachel Bowes Lyon! I got mine from Joy Creek in Oregon. I can see that RBL looks like she's going to be a tall and narrow rose. I might have to keep her in a pot as well so it's great to know that yours survived so well. I'm not that good with growing roses in pots but I'm learning.

Thanks again!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

cyndita - you're quite welcome! I forgot to add that after pruning back my roses in January or early February, I put alfalfa pellets at the base. I buy the pellets at a local feed store. I buy enough to give each rose about two handfuls. If you do a search on this rose forum, you can find advice on how to make a tea or solution with the pellets and water. I find it easier just to drop them on the ground. They are much softer than they look and disintegrate well, especially if it's still raining after you deposit them.

If you have a new bare root plant and put it in the ground before Easter, I would give it the fish emulsion a week or two after planting.

Ann

5 years ago

Thanks, Ann!

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    5 years ago

Ann, many many thanks! I will increase the amount of water for MW. Also the weather is getting cooling down, hope it can get recovered from the heat stress.

For the fish emulsion, I found one called Alaska Fish Emulsion in Homedepot. Is it the one you are using? And you mentioned you bought the Alfalfa pellets in a feed store. I wonder if it's like a pet supply store such as PetSmart?

I am a newbie to rose planting. There seems a lot for me to learn. Thanks again for your wonderful advice.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You're very welcome! I'm pretty conservative in my gardening methods so you may find that there are many other things you can do like applying rotted manure in the spring or using bloom booster products. I recommend trying things slowly so you can figure out what works and what doesn't for your particular niche.

The Alaska Fish Emulsion at Home Depot is fine. The feed store I go to is for both pets and farm animals. The alfalfa pellets are sold by the pound in bins with other types of food such as peanuts, wild bird seed, etc. If you google "alfalfa pellets for garden" you'll find some nicely packaged products that you can order if PetSmart doesn't have it. I wouldn't use it now but early in the spring right after pruning. Also, I don't think alfalfa pellets are especially good for dogs so be careful if you have one.

Ann

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    5 years ago

Thank you, Ann!

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Ann, your pictures are enough to make me want to pull up stakes and move across the country to be your next door neighbor!

Ann9BNCalif thanked jwusauk
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You just gave me a great big laugh! :)) I’m sure I’d enjoy having a rose buddy for a neighbor!

Ann

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Ann, I was going to say I’d like to move there to grow roses like yours, but I have no delusions that my roses would turn out like yours, even in the same climate! So, we’ll have to be neighbors:)

Ann9BNCalif thanked jwusauk
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I just picked up a 25 pound bag of alfalfa meal. Tonight. Everyone eats

Ann9BNCalif thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks jwusauk!

Kristine - I only apply the alfalfa in Jan/Feb right after the first spring pruning. My last feeding for the year of the fish emulsion already happened around Labor Day.

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I tried starting a new post but photos won't show up so I'm adding to this thread!

Tahitian Sunset is having a great third flush.

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Also, Spiced Coffee is an awesome and unusual rose! It starts out as a pinky gold and eventually darkens to a light red. In between, it's multi-colored. Fragrance is strong and sweet with a touch of spiciness. I hope all the photos post.

Day 1, AM/PM

More to come

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Day 2, AM

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Day 2, PM

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Day 2, PM late afternoon with stamens visible

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Day 3, early AM

• Ann9BNCalif
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Day 3, late PM

Enjoying SC a lot. I planted this rose only a few months ago so it may not go through as many variations in year two but for now it's fun!

Ann

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz