SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Teach me about sofas and velvet!

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So I am possibly in the market for a new sofa. I’m willing to spend $2000-3000. The room will have a scottish Lodge feel for lack of an exact design style name. I want a green velvet sofa.

So I currently have a Norwalk sofa I bought at least 10 years ago, maybe even 15. It is my favorite place to sit, just the right height and depth of seat, etc. The style is traditional tight back. I think it would look appropriate recovered in green velvet. Although not exactly the style I would buy now, it’s close enough.

I went to a well known fabric place in Atlanta yesterday and found some beautiful velvets. A pure cotton at $100 per yard and a cotton polyester blend at $45 a yard. I will need about 18 yards. One guy said the blend would probably be sturdier, the other guy said the blend would be better.

I could also just start from scratch and buy a brand new sofa but I’m not excited about driving all over Atlanta sitting on sofas! But I will if that’s a better option. I can take the old sofa and recover it in something less expensive and use it in the guest house. But I was really thinking a sleeper sofa would be more useful there.

The guy at the fabric store said if you have a sofa you love then you should stick with it, but of course I’d be buying fabric from him so there is that.

Here is the look I’m going for, although not quite this busy.

Here is a couch that I love,

Here is the couch I could have recovered

I realize I’m not saving money by recoverin, but I can be confident that it will be comfy.

Comments (2)