SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennyb2erau

Windmill palm dying or just paranoid?

Brad K
5 years ago
This windmill palm was bought in July and planted immediately. It’s lived through multiple days in the upper 90s but just recently I noticed one of the fronds seems to have shriveled up and just about died overnight. What could cause this? All the history of the palm is as follows: It’s planted in soil that is heavy in clay but I used miracle grow palm soil mixed with sand to give it good drainage. I’ve noticed some rot so I treated trunk with hydrogen peroxide spray, that seemed to help the center spears not rot when growing out, already lost one new spear. I feared that with the bark mulch around the tree it could increase the rot so a few days ago I pulled the bark out from around the immediate base of the tree. It gets watered about once every other day. However we recently had a water softener put in, it says it won’t harm plants but could the small amount of sodium that’s now in the water hurt it? I’m leaning towards lack of nutrition, but I’m by no means knowledge to this topic. Any advice would be great

Comments (7)