SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jake_zack

Crossroads- seeking professional advice

J Z
5 years ago

Ok I have a fairly deep first post. Not even sure if this is the right place.

I've been working in horticulture since high school, I'm almost 29 now. I've had a handful of various jobs in the field but have spent the brunt of my time with a local nursery/landscaping company. I'm also in my first year receiving an associates in horticulture and landscape design. I love what I do and feel very grateful to have found something I enjoy professionally.

I've been in discussion with current company as to a succession plan and buying the landscape contracting side of business; I've even written up a business plan as to my vision. Focusing on a few niche services I don't see offered a lot as well as the regular services everyone offers.

My dilemma is do I want to follow through with this (nothing set in stone yet) or do I want to take my associates and get what I perceive as being a cushy job in design and work much less (6 day week with current job) and eventually dabble in something on this side; like nursery growing.

I guess I'm looking to see what other people's experiences are in the design vs contractor fields. I don't have anyone in this field to turn to for advice, and don't want them to think I'm getting cold feet (just yet).

Is there good opportunity for a designer with an associates + a lot of experience? I see plenty of job listings, but not sure if they prefer candidates with four year degrees or architecture degrees (these two distinctions have always been somewhat confusing to me)

Comments (11)

Sponsored