SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_korpan

Creative ideas for furnishing and decorating my dining area!

Sarah Korpan
5 years ago

Recently I moved into a rental apartment and am struggling to decide on what to do with my dining area. The flooring style is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's cute. I'm just struggling to decide what colours would best complement the colour of the tile. I would like to keep the space bright, but white furniture may be too much with the white walls? Perhaps a darker stained wood?

Here are some other considerations:

- The metal shelving unit needs to stay somewhere in that area but can be shuffled around.

- I have little counter space in the kitchen, so creating more versatility in the dining area with more counter space is something I've thought of. Possibly a kitchen cart or other creative solution. Also, the kitchen counters are currently an ugly speckled grey laminate but I would like to cover them with contact paper (easiest and cheapest solution for a rental), possibly in a matte black.

- Actual dining space can be small; a dining area for two people would be adequate.

- I've also considered eliminating the idea of a dining space and expanding the kitchen into that spot (more counter space and kitchen storage), then setting the dining area into the living room, where the hardwood begins, along the same wall with the window. The living room is a long space with plenty of room for it, but I don't know if that would look choppy with the dining area resting on the hardwood?

- The space is approximately 6 feet deep (measurement based on the side with the window) and 7'8" wide.

Any sort of creative ideas to get my mind going are appreciated!

Comments (5)