SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Non-slip bathroom rugs

Lars/J. Robert Scott
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am now on medication that makes me dizzy and unstable in the evening, and two days ago I slipped on my bathroom rug, fell into the tub, hit my head on the wall, and bruised my back. I have a rug with no rubber on the bottom, as it is easier to clean, but now I think it is dangerous.

The rug between the toilet and bathtub (the one I slipped on) is 24"W x 40"L, but it could be a couple of inches shorter, but I do like the 24" width. I have another smaller one in front of the vanity, and it does not have to be large at all, and it would be nice if they would match.

Can I add rubber stickers to the backs of my rugs to make them save? I already have some of these that I ordered for the bathtub, but the bathtubs really don't need them

Where is the best place to look for a safe bathroom rug?

I have a tile floor, and I am wondering if I should put a rubber mat under the rug. I don't know if that would be enough.

Comments (16)

• pandtkendall
    5 years ago

Check out Amazon online. They have a large selection of non-slip bathroom rugs in all sizes and colors. Mine are Wamsutta brand, but they have many brands. More than you'd find in a store.

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked pandtkendall
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

There are also several products that are called nonslip rug pads that you can put under the rugs. Some are simply the padding that goes under regular carpet. All of the ones I used as they aged would mark the floors. They also tended to curl at the edges as they aged. The rugs with the nonslip backing will breakdown the backing if washed frequently.

One thing about rugs is that some will have an edge that is bound and it is easy to catch your foot on these and go flying. Better one is to have an edge that is tapered to lessen this chance.

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked maifleur01
  • Related Discussions

Non-slip rug on vinyl

Q

Comments (4)
    Why are you worried about a latex-backed rug? It won't stain vinyl or anything else. I've had sets of latex-backed runners in my kitchen for decades on both sheet vinyl and solid vinyl tile, with no issues at all. They don't harm my hardwood floors, either. We always use padding underneath our handmade Orientals. You might be thinking of the old-style foam padding, which used to deteriorate and stick to flooring. The newer stuff, especially closed-cell latex, works great.
    ...See More

Where can I get a NON-solid color rug for bathroom?

Q

Comments (3)
    Most rugs sold as bath rugs are less than 50 or 60 inches long. In my bathroom I ended up using 2 shorter rugs (one in front of each sink). Target has a few options in just gray and white and a couple that are gray, white and another color. You might need to have the bottom of your door trimmed up a bit to deal with clearance issues with rug depths. Here's a some from Targets Website And a couple with added color
    ...See More

The 1949 bathroom...need contour rug & rectangular rug

Q

Comments (3)
    JC penny is also a good source for the type of bath rugs you are looking for. Bathroom rectangular and contour rugs
    ...See More

Rug pad for Comfort AND Non-slip....

Q

Comments (2)
    There is NO rug pad for me except for Tbaud. Only Tbaud has actually given me totally non-slip rugs, whether they were on hardwood floors or rug-on-carpet. They have a slightly sticky surface, but it does not leave any residue. The only downside I've found is that if I have to take the rugs up to wash or send them out for professional cleaning, the Tbaud pads don't stick as well the second time.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The ones on Amazon are really smaller (or much larger) than I want, but this one is exactly the right size. However it is meant for outdoor use. I might have to get it anyway.

Another requirement is that I have to be able to move my bathtub rug fairly easily so that I can move my scale to a place on the floor where it will function. It does not work on carpet, and it barely works on tile and does a worse job on wood floors. I have to stand very still in order for it to record my weight.

In my business, I generally look for things that will make furniture slide or glide rather than stay still.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

We have the very cheapest from Walmart and it slips less than a more expensive one from Walmart.

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • chisue
    5 years ago

I hope you have been examined by an MD after hitting your head. You could have started a bleed between your brain and your skull. Serious stuff!

I'd buy new rugs with rubber backing. Yes, they will disintegrate after about the third trip through the washing machine, but they will stay put until that time, and these are not expensive items.

I have owned all-cotton rugs that have 'some' traction on one side. There is a (banned in California) spray that can renew the 'stickum'. Too much 'fuss'.

Get a new scale that you don't have to monkey with. Is there some pressing medical need for you to weigh yourself frequently?

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked chisue
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just had bariatric surgery four weeks ago, and so I am supposed to keep track of how much weight I am losing. In four weeks I've lost 25 pounds, and my goal is to lose about 40 more pounds.

I did buy this pair of rugs from Amazon, which I have already received, and they are definitely non-slip! The previous bathroom rugs I had slid if you barely touched them, and so I am shocked at the difference. I do feel a bit safer now, but after my surgery, my urologist put me on a high dose of Flomax, which still makes me dizzy and unstable, but not nearly as bad now as it did the first 2-3 days. I did see my primary doctor after hitting my head, but it turned out not to be all that bad - just a bump and no bleeding.

I also ordered the doormat rug, but I haven't received it yet. I think it would look terrible in my bathroom, partly because of the color, and so I will try to get my brother to use it, since he does not have a non-slip rug in his bathroom either, and he is recuperating from surgery for colon cancer. I bought him a teak stool for his bathtub so that he can sit down to take showers, but he only takes sponge baths. I had to wait four weeks after surgery before I could take a bath instead of a shower, and I do feel a lot better after having the grab bars installed. I think I'm doing okay, but I still feel a bit weak and unstable, either from the diet or from the weight I've lost. I expect that feeling to go away in a few months, or maybe when I am taken off Flomax.

The thing I do not like about the pair of rugs I got from Amazon is that they really do not go with my Aquaman shower curtain, but they do coordinate with my towels. I think I'll get used to them with the shower curtain in a fairly short time. They have a kind of sand/beachy look to them, but the shower curtain is mostly black. I could possibly switch to this Thor Shower Curtain, but I am a bigger fan of Aquaman, although I think he should be blond in the shower curtain the way he is in the comics.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

I bought a bathroom rug from Kohls and it has a rubber backing and works good on my ceramic tile floor....pretty shaggy aqua and got the towels to match...Sonoma Brand. Your fall sounds bad it can happen so fast. My husband fell in the kitchen due to a slippery rug. Didn't hurt himself, but no more rugs in the kitchen.

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked erinsean
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Sorry to preach, but an *internal bleed* often results from a blow to the head. This can cause balance problems and even become fatal. Football players often develop this condition, but its a risk to anyone. Glad you were checked out.

Good luck with your recovery from surgery. Can you put your scale in a permanent location where you can steady yourself as you use it?

Do you have -- and use -- grab bars at your tub or shower?

The rugs you linked have a backing that will wear off as you wash them. There is an aerosol spray product you can use to restore the tackiness -- but it's not eco-friendly.

Lars/J. Robert Scott thanked chisue
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did buy a commercial duty welcome mat for my brother's bathroom, and it seems to work pretty well - plus it does with his decor and not mine.

My urologist did warn me that falls are common for men on Flomax, and I am on a double dose right now. My blood pressure has definitely gone down (I keep track of it), and it is especially low at night. I do try to drink a fair amount of water in the evening. I'm supposed to drink 64 oz. per day on my diet, but it cannot be within an hour of a meal.

I did get grab bars for both my brother's and my bathrooms. I had them installed while he was in the hospital having surgery for colon cancer. I was afraid he would not want them, and I think he appreciates them now - I know I appreciate mine!

Don't really have another place for my scale, and if I wobble while standing on it, it will not read at all. It does not even like wooden floors.

• User
    5 years ago

What about using a glue gun on the back of your existing rugs?

I'm so sorry you fell...bathrooms are a bit deadly :-/

• bossyvossy
    5 years ago

Lars, sorry about your accident. I have slipped on those non rubber rugs. I went with rubberbacked cheapies from BBB and if I need to show off, I take out my nice rugs for a day.

Besides safety, cheapies allow me to change color schemes more often b/c I don’t feel guilty about expense.

• salonva
    5 years ago

Lars- no suggestion for rugs but hope you feel better and take care of yourself!

• User
    5 years ago

I have taken several falls over the past few years. They are scary when one lives alone. I have ended up using bamboo mats, both in bathrooms and in my kitchen. I really really like them.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

omg. feel better soon please

looks like you've found rugs already

(I was about to suggest real wool thing, you can't thow them in the wash of course but they also don't get nasty easily. and they're heavier, they stay in place better. But it's probably less matching your style, and you already found good solution)

couple (maybe unhelpful) tips from somebody who's having balance problems, dizziness, etc.

might sound strange -but keep towel next to you, so you reach it easily, and wipe your feet first. after taking a bath/shower. I always make sure my feet are reasonably dry. less chance to slip. everything else comes after.

also, I usually bathe/shower twice a day. Yet. If I'm having a very bad day. If everything tells me I should skip this routine right now.. I skip it. I don't like it, I feel less refreshed and all, but I would like broken hip or something even less.

ah. how often you use your scales?

I can't do scales. anymore.

you obviously can-but when you feel especially dizzy, skip scale. Requires balance. Easy-peasy, it should be-under normal conditions. But right now, take extra precautions. You don't want to wobble on it-not only because it won't read results, but because you don't want to wobble now, like, at all. Use it in the mornings when you feel less dizzy, more stable.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

The recommendation for people with any fall risk is to take up the mats. So Lars, can you either bend over and pull up your existing rugs and hang them from the shower curtain or lay them on the rim of the tub when you are done showering/bathing or keep a reacher/grabber in the bathroom so that you can pick them up every day after you have gotten dressed and ready for the day? Rugs really are a danger and need to be removed, as you unfortunately learned.

Adding the no-slip pads can stop them from slipping, but for us unsteady people, the rug itself is the problem. Sometimes it is just the change in the texture or slipperiness of the flooring that makes someone fall. That is why no rugs at all is the best solution.