SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo142

looking for landscaping ideas for front of house in country

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We finished our build in May 2017. One week after moving in, my husband had an accident that resulted in a leg amputation. We didn't have the time or ability to focus on landscaping for a long time. Now, happily, my husband is doing well on a new prosthetic leg. We're ready to start working on our yard this fall.

We live on 140 acres in the country in SW Missouri. This is our "front yard" because you see it as you drive up to the house, but really we have land on all sides with doors leading out in all directions. Nobody can see our house and we don't have a lot of company, so the landscaping project is really just for us...to make it pretty as we drive up and give us joy!

I need to have the cedar around our front door restained (it had just a clear sealer on it and it did not hold up to the sun, so has lightened considerably). Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I'd welcome suggestions! Some parameters:

- The side you see faces south and gets a lot (I mean, a lot) of sun.

- I don't know if it's obvious from the pic, but the house is on a hill. There's a pretty decent slope.

- We didn't have topsoil brought in at the end of construction and we still have a lot of rock in the yard, so I'm thinking raised beds?

- Deer (and other critters) love our yard.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)