SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
14dee

Can't make a decision on interior paint colors

5 years ago

Hi

I am a chicken regarding color choices for paint. I know grey is currently trendy but I have a golden brown Ethan Allen couch that is a large part of my living room. The area rug has brown, beige, tealish, and a rusty red which compliments my couch and brown chairs. I have a fairly open main floor with an open staircase going up to the second floor. The house is a paired home so I have no windows on the north side but lots of windows on the other three sides. When we bought the house it was painted white throughout. We have distressed hickory wood floors with variegated tones of brown (not too dark).

I recently put in white shutters on all my windows and my trim is also white. I want to choose a contrasting paint for my walls without losing the lightness and complimenting my brown toned furniture. I also want to accent with teal. I have begun with pillows on my couch and a few accessories. My dining room is somewhat sectioned off from the rest of the area so I am interested in painting a couple walls in teal (not too dark). I considered all four walls but my space is not that big and I think it would be too powerful. I'm leaning toward accenting the two walls with windows.

I tested Sherwin Williams Irish Cream for the main walls but it is too close to the color of my couch. I'm going to test two more colors: Natural Linen and Antique White. They are quite different from each other. Any ideas?

I am looking at two teal colors from Sherwin Williams - Reflecting Pool and Drizzle. The Drizzle color has a bit more green in it but does not reflect as much light (which may not make a difference if I only paint two walls. Are people accenting with one or two walls these days?

As you can see in the first picture from my entry there is an arch and when you look through the arch there is a small niche area, I am thinking about painting the inside of the archway and the niche with another accent color in the brown tones, Sherwin Williams Latte. I am hoping that will draw the eye through to the niche where I can put some artwork. I cannot paint the wall of the arch as the space is too narrow and it would feel like a piece of furniture is the middle of the room.

Okay so I have a lot of ideas and no confidence to finalize a decision. I would appreciate any thoughts or tips !

Enclosed are some pictures of my house.

Comments (9)