SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Area rug size advice?

Ivy Lou
5 years ago

I need advice for an area rug size for my family room. I tried to draw the layout and measured the available space (blue lines are windows and the purple thing is our TV sitting on the media cabinet). My fireplace has a hearth that sticks out a bit which takes some of the usable floor space (you can see my measurements in the drawing). My current sofa is a sectional and is about 9 feet wide and 6 feet deep (approximately). I've been looking at replacing it, so it's not necessarily something that has to fit into this area rug recommendation. I thought I would ask for some advice on what size and shape of area rug would work for this room and if it would help to change out the furniture layout because I'm kinda stumped. Obviously, the fireplace was meant to be the focal point of this room, but I am not a fan of putting TV's above the fireplace and it also would be way too high to view comfortably. So yeah, I'm just not sure if it would look better with a rug that just fits the sofa size or if it should be centered to the fireplace or what. Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments (2)