SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_townsend

Grading question

Mary Townsend
5 years ago

We are in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We have an older house (built in 1966). Over the decades, I believe the yard has slowly built itself up because the grass clippings were never removed. In some places the grass is at or above the foundation and we have problems in a heavy rain because there isn't enough of a clear drainage path. In another spot the yard slopes away from the house too steeply and we want to put in a retaining wall (1 or 2 courses of blocks high) to level things out and prevent erosion.

We believe we will need to replace the irrigation at the same time. Right now it is spray heads and we want to remove the grass and put plant beds and/or steppables, etc given that I have some allergies to grass.

However, we are finding that the contractors we are talking to say they only install the irrigation when we ask for grading. Are we asking for the wrong thing? If so, what words should we use when getting a quote?

I'm attaching the top view of the house. We want to add a retaining wall on the left side and get better drainage in the side and back courtyard areas.

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)