SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Medical question....leukemia

eld6161
5 years ago

SIL's BF is 83 and has a type of leukemia. He has been treated for quite a while, and he just went in for an appointment a few days ago. Right now he is getting blood transfusion every two weeks or sooner if it looks like his count is low.

This is what SIL told us the doctor said: BF should keep doing what he is doing and go on with his life. Even go traveling he asked about a cruise, which was a no, but doctor was fine with other travel.

And, that there are people (and she brought up the example of those with sickle cell anemia) that live long lives having blood transfusions every week!

I tried to google but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. Does this make sense? Weekly blood transfusion for a cancer patient? Evidently the doctor also said that something else will be available in February and he could go on to that treatment.

Anyone with experience with this?

Comments (18)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Crl, thanks. I just read the link. They did not mention weekly transfusion as an option though.

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

I just did a bit of googling and it sounds like this is common for people with leukemia in some stages. Because the leukemia adversely affects blood cell production, the transfusions are given however frequently they are needed to help the person feel good. It sounds like people get tired or rundown in the days leading up to the next transfusion.

eld6161 thanked 3katz4me
  • robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

Honestly before he restricted himself from going on a cruise I would check the medical facilities available on the ship, they might (or might not) be able to accommodate him.

An oft repeated anecdote: was once on a cruise heading from Vietnam to Singapore when a crewmember began to hemorrhage. They put out a general call for whatever type blood from the passengers and were transfusing her constantly until a medical copter from s’pore could reach us. It was amazing. She thankfully survived (personally I’m happy she could be treated in Singapore which seems to have excellent hospitals).

eld6161 thanked robo (z6a)
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

It did not say weekly, but it did mention periodic. Weekly would be periodic (as would monthly, etc).

Are you concerned that he isn’t getting appropriate medical care?

eld6161 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm thinking this all doesn't make sense and that possibly SIL is not telling us everything.

Robo, the doctor felt a cruise would have more germs.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

My mom had leukemia and had weekly transfusions ONLY when medication became ineffective. Something is missing here.

eld6161 thanked nannygoat18
  • Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

lukkiirish, that’s what I was thinking. My Dh gets pissy if I mention that he has a cold to my parents. He thinks his health is none of anyone’s business.

eld6161 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

His age might also be a factor. A blood transfusion might be an easier treatment for someone who is 83.

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nannygoat, the doctor made it sound that SIL's BF could go for years doing weekly transfusions. shat was your mother's experience?

I think initially what happened was he wanted to avoid chemo. He did wind up going on a pill, and I am not sure if he ever had chemo intravenously. Now, he is just going to do transfusions and wait for a something new that is coming out in February.

Lukki, I agree with you and Nanny. I think SIL filters things to suit her. But, that's a whole other issue.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There could be more to the story (type of leukemia, stage, other treatments tried, health of the patient etc.) but regular transfusions are not uncommon with a leukemia patient.

As for a cruise I would avoid it if there's a chance he might need a transfusion. There are too many complications that could arise from someone in his condition. And at his age I imagine he's on Medicare which only provides coverage in the US, there is some coverage provided when on a cruise but only within a very short distance of the US.

eld6161 thanked maire_cate
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree with you, Maire. I think he was thinking cruise because it would be a relaxing way to get away. But, I agree with the doctor about germs, some ships are better than others at sanitizing. Too many stories about outbreaks.

• roarah
    5 years ago

I think at 83 his doctor is correct. Something else may kill him before his leukemia might. His stage may very well be incurable but he is still very treatable with transfusion. He now has a chronic illness but not necessarily a terminal one. Hope he heeds his doctor's advise and enjoys a full life between his treatments.

eld6161 thanked roarah
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Roarah. This makes sense. I think part of the problem is SIL. She can be a drama queen at times. Never know what exactly to believe sometimes.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Eld, my mom was 81 when she was diagnosed with CCL. She was on various chemo treatments for two years until it ceased working. She started regular blood transfusions but it was like trying to bail out a fast-filling leaky boat so her doctor suggested radiation. At that point, she decided she'd suffered enough, refused further treatment and died three weeks later.

Leukemia patients are usually immune-suppressed--however my mom's doctor never put any restrictions on her activities.

Without having access to his records, it's really impossible to know what's going on.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. I just can't see how someone can be on transfusions for years and years, which is what this doctor is insinuating.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

• nannygoat18
    5 years ago

Generally transfusion-dependent patients are in more serious condition, and therefore more likely to be recognized as needing palliative care. Usually there's not a cruise involved.