SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

John Elgin Woolf, Classic Hollywood Regency For Sale-Trousdale Estates

palimpsest
5 years ago

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1806-loma-vista-drive--10

Surprised by the lack of formal enfilade in the front entry hall with the large opening to the LR on the right and the obviously secondary hall to the bedrooms on the left.

Utilitarian kitchen: glow ceiling, 4 Gaffers and Sattler ovens, ordinary but doubled appliances.

Comments (11)

• Fun2BHere
    5 years ago

You're right, the mismatched openings around the foyer aren't very pleasing. The dining room is too small. The whole house needs to be updated. My favorite features are the french doors off the bedrooms.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I could live in it almost as is except for the ceiling in the kitchen.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

To me the house is pleasing and comfortable. I do not like the kitchen for this house. It comes across sterile comparatively.

• Gooster
    5 years ago

I like the home as well. I'd just have to redo the kitchen eventually, reconfigure the entry and swap out some of the formal LR stuff.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I really like the outside, front and back, and the house overall seems rather nice (I like single-story houses), but I wouldn't be happy until I could inject some color and life into the unimaginative and relentlessly beige decor, and could also toss the rather bad art. Persian carpets, paintings I could love - it would be fun to decorate, although I agree that the empty and useless large foyer with the odd-sized openings is a drawback.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There is a lot to like in this house for me. I love the windows and the boxy feeling rooms. I could do without the scenic wallpaper in the dining room, though.

The kitchen is a great example of how a "white kitchen" may be classic, but things change enough that the age really shows.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

as long as i don't have to sleeep in the foyer.

• Denita
    5 years ago

Agree that there is a lot to like in this house. I like that scenic wallpaper in the dining room Rina and totally agree with your white kitchen assessment.

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1806-loma-vista-drive--10#gallery

• sableincal
    5 years ago

Not exactly my "style" but I'd love to learn to live in it. To me it's so filled with light that it's beautiful and serene. IMO the dining room is lovely!

Often when a kitchen is that large and has two sets of appliances it's a sign that the family is Orthodox Jewish and therefore keeps kosher, with one set of things for meat dishes and the other set for milk. Back in the day when I was living orthodox-ly I kept a kosher kitchen, but with just one appliance each, and no dishwasher. A bit complicated!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The asymmetrical openings in the front hall don't bother me so much because they indicate a hierarchical position: the LR is where you are supposed to go, not so much the hall to the bedrooms.

But I probably would have arched the living room opening to further differentiate it rather than just making the opening two different sizes. I don't think it would be out of place since the front door has an arched pediment.

I feel like this house has been partly cleaned out and that there is less artwork and a little less furniture than it would normally have.

I think the high ceilings in this house are much more balanced and in proportion than a lot of the high ceilings going into new construction.