SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franklycheryl

How do I flush mount my direct vent gas fireplace?

Cheryl Lombardi
5 years ago
I recently purchased a Mendota Direct Vent (FV41) gas fireplace. We would like to install w/o using tile or brick; want a clean (painted) wall with only the fireplace & the appropriate mantel above. The contractor installed regular drywall over the unit. After I looked through the manual I realized this was not good. I had them cut the drywall off the fireplace’s non-combustible zone. After reading further, we must have a total R-value of 1 or more in the non-combustible zone. Since the drywall is 1/2”, I was looking for the same in one of the recommended ceramic boards by Mendota. I finally found a supplier that can ship one of those recommended backer boards to me. It’s 1/2” with a little over the required R-value. Now I’ve discovered we must install 1” thick over the non-combustible zone. This will throw that smooth finish off. I am unable to get an answer from the Mendota people, they said to contact the dealer that sold me the fireplace. The dealer said talk to the contractor. I can’t trust him - I’d still have drywall on the non-combustible zone (not safe). Hope you can help!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!