SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Input on rules for facetime/texting by a tween/teen.

lyfia
5 years ago

We need to come up with some rules of usage beyond normal etiquette and the normal things such as selfies, monitoring, not in her bedroom at night etc. Like what are reasonable ways to limit the time spent and how to balance etiquette such as prompt responding with not being glued to the text waiting on a response.

Any particular rules you'd want your kid to have as well.

We are planning on doing a contract with the rules and clearly spelled out consequences.

My tween daughter uses an ipod and have been using facetime to keep contact with her oldest friend who lives an hour away. This has been like a weekly call or biweekly, but now her local friend who she doesn't see very much has an ipod too and they want to facetime all day long when they can't see each other. We've limited it, but had an incident the other day where my daughter took the ipod with her into the bathroom ( we have a rule that she can't) and then tried to hide it from us after being told she needed to stop texting her friend. (She lost her ipod for 3 days as there were 3 infractions (not stopping when told, being sneaky, and taking it into the bathroom). So we decided we need to come up with a comprehensive rules and since we are just starting this we would love input from others on what to include so we can make sure we cover it all the way to the teen years, but also teach her good etiquette as part of it.

I have googled and what I find seems to more covering larger issues. I'd want the small one too.

We will have a time limit and no use until homework etc. is done, but what is a good time limit and I'm thinking it needs to change with age. Also maybe a total limit whether she spends it on one friend or multiple friends vs. a limit of time for each "call".

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!