SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Time capsule with sympathetic updates

palimpsest
5 years ago

This...exuberant...house in Dallas is an interesting combination of original and new on the interior, and it's hard to tell where one leaves off and the other begins, so it is successful on that level. It's a combination of good and so-bad-it's-good I guess, but it is never boring

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/7507-baxtershire-drive--2

Comments (50)

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

This house reminds me of a funeral home on the outside and what I would expect for a Hugh Hefner home to look like on the inside. I think it could be a kind of fun place to live but how would you put your decorating stamp on that????? $1.7M. Yikes!

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Wow, now that house has character. It's a shame that someone will probably come in with buckets and buckets of white paint and destroy the wood and stone elements that make the home special.

• Related Discussions

Vernacular Modern Time Capsule

Q

Comments (29)
    Not understanding the issue with the definition: 1 a : using a language or dialect native to a region or country rather than a literary, cultured, or foreign language b : of, relating to, or being a nonstandard language or dialect of a place, region, or country c : of, relating to, or being the normal spoken form of a language 2: applied to a plant or animal in the common native speech as distinguished from the Latin nomenclature of scientific classification 3: of, relating to, or characteristic of a period, place, or group; especially : of, relating to, or being the common building style of a period or place Am I missing something? Here is a link that might be useful: Definition of vernacular
    ...See More

1940s time capsule home in Minneapolis

Q

Comments (13)
    The built-ins are lovely; she had excellent taste in wall coverings. The Chinoiserie paper in the dining room staged with the Chippendale faux bamboo chairs look "fresh" and "up to date" with today. We occasionally get similar time capsules in my neighborhood (built in the late 1920s to 1940s, mostly), halfway across the country. However, it is getting more and more rare to find a time capsule -- or its one of a mid 1970s update.
    ...See More

Another 'Time capsule' house

Q

Comments (4)
    That moonstone thing fascinates me! The virtual tour has a close-up on one of them--it appears to be some type of mercury- or Favrile glass. Tiffany was producing Favrile in the late 1890's, so it would have been the height of home decoration. Or, it could be an abalone shell--Hattiesburg is fairly close to the Gulf, maybe had special meaning to the owners. re: the kitchen--yes, it's a shame that the update was not more in keeping with the style of the house.
    ...See More

Formal time capsule

Q

Comments (44)
    One of my neighbors growing up had a formal (and seemingly completely unused) formal living room with a rug that color and and mirrored wall (the whole wall). It was a disturbing room, more from the mirrors and formality than the blue.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

The sound of fingernails on a black board...! :-)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's not a house for someone who wishes to collect art or have conventional furniture.

The bedspread on the round bed looks like it might be vintage Missoni, which usually appears vibrant but looks kind of wan and limp in this setting.

In that regard this is similar to a FLW house in that it was conceived as a complete work by the architect and any deviation from that or personal effects of the client (and sometimes even the furniture) looks superfluous and like it's diminishing the intent.

Not an easy house to live in for a number of reasons, even though it's interesting as a design concept.

• User
    5 years ago

Hmm...they sure did like round things didn’t they.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Head for the roundhouse, Nellie...they can't corner you there...! :-)

• H202
    5 years ago

I love it. I think some of it is a little over the top -- maybe the rock walls, and the textured wood walls. Also, the kitchens and baths -- presumably newer updates -- were a little much for me. I think the textured wood walls may have been updates as well. Not sure about the rock walls. Otherwise, i think this is a pretty great house.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I believe the bath I show is all original and the one with the modern freestanding tub is updated with some original elements.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I think you would need to live a very unconventional life to be able to live in that house. Square peg in a round hole comes to mind.

• selcier
    5 years ago

I love it!! That living room fireplace is spectacular!! There is so much contrast and texture. And the glimpse to the lush outside!! :) :) (I could do without the mirrors in the bedroom though.)

• just_janni
    5 years ago

Love that ceiling in the office. Feel REALLY bad for the poor sucker on the lowest shelf bunk bed...

• Jennifer K
    5 years ago

I bet there is a turntable under that bed...

• Amy79
    5 years ago

The living room reminds me of The Big Lebowski.

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

"exuberant" *snort laugh*

I'd love to walk through that house! I love the rollup counter cabinets in the kitchen, and I'm intrigued by the tree-like fireplace (but I think I'd feel weird lighting a fire under a tree...) I think the Chinese symbols on the round bed platform stand for "impossible to buy sheets that fit."

Check out the satellite view on the map. It's a very different shape; cool but goes right to the edge of the lot line.

• Lindsey B
    5 years ago
    Damn. I’m already in escrow on another place in Dallas!!

It’s definitely unique. No clue how to decorate it... but if I had the cash it may be fun to live there for a while!
  • functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I would buy it in a minute if I was looking for a large house in Dallas.

• worthy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Great find!

Inspired by the John Frank House of Bruce Goff, an architect with an idiosyncratic vision, and executed with a wonderful exuberant consistency, as palimpset notes. The inspiration house, like others by Goff, is on the US National Register of Historic Places.

I expect to see Frank, Dean and Sammy, Peter and Joey and a host of babes coming over any moment now!

More Goff homes:

Durst House, Houston
    Ford House, 1949. Aurora, Ill.

List of Goff buildings.

Youngstram House, 1968. Lake Quivira, Kansas

More on Goff.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Weeeellll, words do fail me on this one. I'm getting old and stodgy, that must be it.

• User
    5 years ago

I love it and it's not like anything I usually would like. I can't even put into words exactly why it appeals to me. It just does.

However, I'm not sure I'd want to live there full time. But wow I'd love to stay there as an Airbnb or something.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

It is very interesting. I'd never think to combine so many textures-but they did it mostly successsfully

I can't picture myself living in it-yet I can see very well how it can a be a great museum for example..for exhibitions like sculptures and archeological finds and collections like that. Less gallery type museum, more three dimensional objects one.

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

hi worthy!

a really interesting place and more livable than you'd think on first glance. I love that fireplace and the outdoor living spaces. It brings to mind how differently comfortable living is defined in cold vs warm climates: up here that house would feel unbearably cold and dark. But against the Dallas heat and humidity it probably feels refreshing.

I love the wacky sofa in the basement (looks cool and comfortable), the pecky cypress living area/screen, and the tilework in that bathroom.

• Suru
    5 years ago

Love it! There is a lot of over-the-topness, but it still seems understated. I could definitely live there.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think the important thing about this house is that there are clearly parts of the house that post date 1962 and some that are as recent as the past few years, but the historic fabric was always taken into account when renovations were done.

This is so rarely done, and when it isn't done, it tends to diminish the building as a whole.

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I really like the kitchen and the basement level. I agree it would be fun as a rental.

• User
    5 years ago

Is that a copper fireplace?! I love it!!! And it looks like the metal was hammered by hand. Wish I had made that...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

You see, there were these drugs . . . .

• jakabedy
    5 years ago

I kind of love it a little bit. In the way I loved that boy in high school who seemed full of promise but who I knew in my heart was very bad for me.

That deSede Non-Stop sofa in the living room is magnificent. And I love the intact master bath with the sunken tub. That is a party pad deluxe. I’m thinking the racks are for when the go-go dancers get tired and need to nap.

• tyest1989
    5 years ago
    That couch has definitely seen an orgy or 2.
  • zmith
    5 years ago

I'm with Ingrid. This house is too over the top for me. Definitely has the "party pad" vibe.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

What stays with that home, what goes? So much of the decor and furniture is just right for that home without them a new person would pay a fortune trying to retro fit it. Many larger elements are built-ins, it appears, which really makes taking others away impossible to match up. I have never seen so many sectionals or to use the back in the day vernacular "couch pits" in one place. They remind me of why they wen't out of favor and stymie me as to their return. What's in the cage island inside the kitchen?

• Sarah
    5 years ago
    What a beautiful, brilliant concept and implementation. That exterior with the million pieces of tiny cut glass is breathtaking.

Being a minimalist, the overwhelming visual stimulation of that building feels oppressive to me but I can still feel awe at the mind that dreamed it and the craftsmen that built it.
  • palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The cage like item in the kitchen is a table and chairs.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

It's what Bruce Goff typically did. You like it or you don't...

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's the same frame around the Ford house. He developed this idea from working on Quonset huts during the war (and trying to make some things not look like Quonset huts).

The other thing you have to realize is that this is not even the work of our parents' generation, this is the work of someone from our Grandparents' generation.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I love it! A beautiful place! A piece of rare art! I ‘d line up with a 6’x100’ straight line fountain and a lot of rose trees and roses in the front......fragrant climbing roses MAC on the stone walls......but the lot is too small for a 5,814 sq ft house.

• zmith
    5 years ago

Interesting. Now I'm very curious to know who commissioned this house.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The client was Eddie Parker. The house was designed by Goff (and Parker, I guess) in 1957, but they had a falling out before the house was built, and it was built by Parker in 1961-2.

• zmith
    5 years ago

Ok, for some reason I was thinking Parker was just the designer working with Goff. Thanks!

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

I dunno about that bedroom. Looks like a funhouse, and not in a good way. Although I do have a knockoff version of that chair that I own. Waiting for the right time and person to recover it. It's currently cream vinyl with a few small tears.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Wow!

Thinking Elvis would've loved it...

• gthigpen
    5 years ago

I've probably driven by that house on Hill Haven a hundred times but never noticed it. I use that street as a cut though sometimes on my way to my daughter's school to avoid a traffic backups on the major roads. Now I'm going to look closer the next time I'm driving through there.

But what I really want to know is how does someone get to the middle or top bunk? I see no ladder or steps?!

• User
    5 years ago

Looks like ultimate party house.

Not a house I'd want to live in day to day

• worthy
    5 years ago

Here's an earlier shot of the central fireplace room with furnishings that reflect the original design.

vs. the later segmented caterpillars.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

This is an interesting article about learning how to live in the house,

https://prestonhollow.advocatemag.com/2003/03/01/the-round-house/

• mjlb
    5 years ago

Wow. Wow o Wow! I saved up looking at this house until I could look on a large monitor, and Wow - can't stop saying wow! I actually love it. And I'm glad palimpset noted what that chrome 'cage' in kitchen is -- I never would have guessed.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

I actually like it though I lean far more clean and simple generally. Not as a full time house; I would basically need another primary house with nothing but white walls and polished concrete floors - no trim or fussy details - as a palate refresher in between stays at the round house. I like art so I need another home where that could be displayed and not be overwhelmed or feel cluttered!

But after reading Thompson’s experience living in it I think I would prefer just to stay in it as an Airbnb. I am not someone who wants my house to be my hobby. I am super curious after reading that article though what “normal” house he and his wife moved into!

Note to self: $1.7 million can get you a much more interesting house in Dallas than where I live.

• amykath
    5 years ago

I think it is pretty amazing. I don't know if I could live in it. However, I still appreciate all of the interesting aspects and there are so many!! I can see having amazing parties in that house.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually think the DeSede sofa is an improvement on the original banquette and railing set-up.

I would have to have a full-time housekeeper or two and lots of ladders and vacuum cleaners with wands and such to live in a house like this.

I do think it's tedious when people dismiss something as "I can't imagine cleaning all that" --but in this case, I can imagine cleaning it and I don't think I could keep it as clean as I would want because of all the texture. I feel like I would have someone who vacuumed the walls and washed windows almost full-time.

(This is coming from someone whose ideal bathrooms and kitchen would be able to look normal, but could be hosed down and blasted dry like a car wash every day--and also has shifting piles of books accessories and papers everywhere).

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

@palimpest - you share similar ideas as my husband when it comes to ideal bathrooms and kitchens. He thinks solid surface everywhere plus a pressure washer would be ideal. The trick would be to lessen the kill room or public swimming pool change room vibe...

I thought the same when I saw those walls. My grandparents old rock fireplace (rock actually made up entire wall) was bad enough to keep clean so replicating that all over a house would, as you said, necessitate a full time employee to keep on top of it! Or at least someone needs to get on to developing a wall climbing Roomba (can they get on making a stair climbing one before that though?) I just want to live in my house peacefully with my husband, cat, and troop of cleaning robots...is that too much to ask? In a couple of decades someone will find this post and be stunned we ever had to steer our own vacuums or pick up a Swiffer at all ha ha.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!