SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_383299620

new privacy fence: selling point or loss?

5 years ago

Would a new, wood, privacy fence on one side only (all 3 bedrooms) necessarily be a selling point by which I could recoup the fence investment, or would it instead be a turn off and potentially lose me prospective buyers? I've been receiving tons of mail from as-is investors, so I wonder would they offer more, less or no different with the new fence in place? They will likely turn it into a rental, as most are around here now, and therefore won't care one way or the other about the fence, but I wonder whether bumping my price up to cover the fence cost would lose those potential buyers.

For those curious, the reason for the single-side fencing is the rental property next door on that side. I've lived in this house for over 50 years, the owner of that rental property has owned it for decades, and the renters get worse with each turnover. The other neighbors don't intentionally cause me trouble, so I don't feel the need for more than the existing chain-link fencing on those sides. The last tenants were neighbor-from-hell, drunk & drugged out, criminal trespassers who habitually abused my property during all-night parties with numerous friends and relatives. They only escalated their terrorism after I called the cops on them. They were finally evicted after a number of years.

These houses are very close together, and I don't want a repeat of that experience for the remainder of my stay here, no matter how short it may be. I've ordered new security lights and will get those up, hopefully before new people move in, and will likely install cameras as well (perhaps not if I put the fence up). I could have put security measures in place during the previous renters' stay, but I've no doubt they would have made good on their threats to stab me in the back, etc. (their relatives threatened to stab each other during one fight). At the very least, I'm sure they would have sabotaged my fence posts during the night while the concrete was curing.

I'm not going to bother discussing a "joint" fence with the rental property owner, for a number of reasons – one being that my new fence would extend well beyond the existing chain link fence border, to cover the entire side of my house and well into my front yard, up to the allowed street setback point, and there's no way he would agree to share in that additional cost. So, I'm going to almost certainly have to build on my side of the existing chain link fence. Yes, a new $urvey would be performed first.

I just need to know whether I'd be taking a big loss with the new fence. My peace of mind is worth something, but I'd like to put those multiple thousands of dollars into my new place instead of this old house that I'll be leaving behind in the not-too-distant future, especially since I won't be fixing it up. If I can be reasonably sure I'll recoup the investment with a higher selling price, I'll put up the fence.

TIA,

Gus

Comment

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH