SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadya_n

Tiny green caterpillars eating my tea roses - TELL ME HOW TO KILL

Nadya
5 years ago

Hi all,

I have a couple (well..more than a couple) of hybrid tea roses that I've just figured out how to make grow in my zone 7 (Northern Virginia) front yard. Nothing exotic - Dreams Come True, Perfume Delight, Cherry Parfait etc. They are nice and vigorous, and new buds appear all the time.

Except.

There is a creature (or maybe more creatures) snacking on the leaves and helping themselves to young buds right as they form. I get left with skeletal leaves and clearly eaten-out young buds that either don't unfurl, or unfurl and look chopped off from the side, or are eaten off. It looks like tiny tiny green worms or caterpillars.

I've sprayed with the best Home Depot has to offer. I've tried baby powder. Nothing really helps. We've been having a lot of rain so maybe it gets washed right off. What should I do? I have no conviction against spraying, I'm ready to use bubonic plague powder if it helps. I'm not really the kind of gardener who will pick them off one by one, or turn on the spray every morning to shake them off. I need ground zero intervention. Kill and kill forever. What do you recommend please?

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville