SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric3649

TV Niche above the fireplace.

eric3649
5 years ago

We have a house that was built in around the year 2000 - it has a niche above the fireplace that was designed for a CRT TV. So it is pretty deep, and the power/cable/cat5 are all in the back. At some point a few years back, I had the little shelf built, and painted the interior black so it wouldn't be quite so ugly.

Currently I have a 38" flat screen in there, but we can't go any larger as the sides of the niche get in the way. My wife would like larger - she suggested just covering it over, but that would cover over the outlet that would be needed along with the cable/cat5, and for that matter covering over an outlet like that would be against code. And it would create a new problem in that we need a new place to put the TiVo box.

The cheap/easy way out of this is to just create a wood frame over the mouth of the niche and mount a larger flatscreen on that. But it would look kind of funny when we go to sell.

The next thing we could do is just demo the niche completely - cut it off above the fireplace. That gets a little more complex - at the moment I don't think there is any wiring in the sides, and the back of the niche is flush with the walls outside of the niche (so the outlet would not need to be moved as long as the wires don't run through there). We would need some sort of thing to cover it over - maybe a slab of granite, or some such. Thus the job would probably just involve trimming off the framing timbers for the sides of the niche, and doing a bit of drywall, and putting something over it that made it look finished. But I am not quite sure where to cut it off so that it doesn't look funny as there is already a fireplace mantel

The last thing we could do is remove both the niche and the fireplace. The fireplace is nothing special - it is a gas fireplace that vents the exhaust into the room. It looks OK, but we never use the thing - the exhaust gas bothers my wife. That would involve even more work - gas, electrical, flooring, drywall. I don't want to go down that road unless there is a very good reason for it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions