SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_969489869

Removing load bearing wall - looking for some input

HU-969489869
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, I am hoping to get some opinions on my remodel ideas. I am going to try to give as much info about the project to eliminate any questions about the space.

Included are pictures I of the roof structure in the attic, and the floor plan. If any other information is needed I will get it posted ASAP.

The goal of my remodel is to open up the main level living space of my tri level house. The area being discussed is under roof (ie. no living space above, just attic) and sits over top of a basement. All exterior walls of the room I plan to open up sit on poured concrete walls that make up the basement.

The roof joists span ~ 23 feet (front to back of house. 2"x6" construction). There are two 16' boards that meet on the center, existing wall that seperates the kitchen from the front living room.

Roof framing is the same 2"x6" construction

The big question here is whether or not there is a way (within reason) to remove the walls & open up the space.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Also- I would obviously consult a structural engineer etc. before attempting to do any such work. I would just rather not pay for a report to say that it cant be done.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler