SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaflorrick

Tile selections for master bath, seeking advice

aliciaflorrick
5 years ago

We are planning a bathroom refresh. After numerous consultations and consideration, we have decided to replace our 36 x 36 in. alcove fiberglass shower, with: 36 x 36 in. shower pan, 3 tiled walls and a frameless glass door. I know many people will suggest enlarging the shower and trust me, we have beaten this one to death, but in the end, this is the best solution for us. We want to keep the 3 walls light and bright and will have a shower light installed.

Vanity: Simply White by Benjamin Moore

Countertop: Silestone Eternal Statuario

The floor tile we are considering is: 12 x 24 in, non-rectified in a pale greige/white.

Considering BM Grey Owl or similar for walls.

We want white tiles for the shower and tub surround.

Originally we wanted white shiny, but now think white matte (smooth) will go better with the floor tiles. We really don’t like the idea of a lot of grout, I don’t want to be a slave to cleaning the shower.

Question: What size tile will work best?

I have drawn out patterns with 4 x 16 in., 6 x 24 in., and 12 x 24 in.

I like subway, but am really worried about all the grout in the 4 x 16 in. tiles.

I think 6 x 24 in. looks good on paper, but again lots of grout.

The 12 x 24 in. look large for the size of the shower, but does it look better to keep the size the same as the floor tiles?

There are rectified and non-rectified white tiles available. I preferred rectified due to less grout, but the floor tiles we like are not rectified. Does that matter? I have another rectified floor tile in mind, but it’s quite a bit pricier.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Tub is a must, we are replacing jetted with drop in soaker, with tile surround.

The bulkhead covers structural elements of the roof trusses and must remain. If we were to take out the shower wall, we still need the dropped ceiling and would just end up with a "window", not a "wall" of glass. Also privacy issues. Also would need to change plumbing $$. Also ceiling would need to be refinished $$. DH prefers 36 x 36 choice over 2 glass walls which must be squeegeed daily.

The Floor tile under consideration, Silestone Eternal Statuario, Simply White on wood sample.

Shower tiles under consideration, 4 x 16, 6 x 24. Matte. Glossy (top). Grey Owl (or similar)

Floor tile #1 (not rectified). 12 x 24.

Floor tile #2 (rectified). The small white sample, the large one is really dark and mannish for my taste.

I will bring in colour through artwork and accessories.

Thanks!

Comments (2)