SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaymeylyn

Are these tiles DIY fixable?

Jamie
5 years ago

About a month ago, the tiles on our shower door-step started to crack and fall apart. This whole shower/bathroom needs a pro remodel, but we were hoping to hold off for another few years on that. We already have some new tile that we could use to replace these temporarily, but I'm worried about whatever this junk is underneath the tiles.

Does it look like it's possible for us to DIY it and remove this row of disgusting tiles, clean up whatever is going on underneath, and put the leftover tiles on top? It wouldn't need to be permanent or look very nice as long as it's functional, since we'll be replacing the whole thing in a few years. I just want to be able to prevent any further water damage or mold during that time, if we can. (We have stopped using this shower until we can figure out what we can do about these tiles.)

If we can DIY it, does anyone have advice on how to remove whatever is going on underneath these tiles? Would this be a mortar bed? Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything I see online when I search things like "how to replace broken shower surround tiles". I'm happy to do more research on this, but would love for someone who's seen something like this before to point me in the right direction.

Comments (5)