SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbrass86

Have a "Shell" Built Inexpensively and go from there?

cbrass86
5 years ago

I live in Amish country and there are a lot of handy builders that can build things well, inexpensively, and quickly. I've got prices from multiple builders and I'm looking at $250,000 (turnkey) for a 2,300 sq ft house including excavating, septic, well, etc.

I've found a couple local places that could put up the shell (including siding, cheap windows, and shingles) of a 28x32 house for around $35,000. Add another $19,000 for superior wall basement and I have 3 levels of 896 sq ft - a 2688 sq ft house for roughly $54,000. Add in the excavating, permits, sand mound, and well and I'm around $85,000. That gives me $165,000 to play around with (or save). I'm pretty handy, have a flexible job, and have friends in almost every aspect of construction (HVAC, drywall, plumbing, electric, cabinets, excavating, etc) that I would feel comfortable hiring.

I know it'll probably take a lot longer than if I would just hire a company and tell them to go at it - but I think this could be fun. Am I nuts for thinking I can do this?

Comments (16)