SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffc44

A bit of a dilema/ problem with tiling shower niche

Ed
5 years ago

Ok, so my contractor just got done tiling around the shower niche. It's a preformed niche that has an upper and lower compartment and two inches of space in between the two compartments. It's also slightly wider than 12 inches wide (it's about 12 1/2") which is a bit of an issue since I'm using 3x6 subway tiles.

So if he had planned better maybe this part could have been avoided but the middle section fell in between two tiles so had to cut the corner pieces so they look like a combo between the state of Utah and Idaho with 1" high arms that wrap the corners if that makes sense.

I can take a picture if that's hard to follow but will have to do it in the a.m. as i don't have electricity in my bathroom.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to do (re-do) this? Here are my ideas but I'm no expert:

1. Just get rid of the tile currently covering this space and replace with one 6" tile in the middle and then two 3 1/4" tiles on the side
  2. Use 2 x 4 subway tiles. the height is pretty close to 2" but may not be exact
  3. I'm using a grayish glass tile for inside of niche, i could maybe use this for this space
  4. Other tile design
  5. Other ideas??
  6. Leave as is.

Thanks in advance

Comments (16)