SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaveratir

Tight space in laundry closet

kaveratir
5 years ago

We are renovating a 1980's condo. The hall laundry closet is functionally 30 inches deep (bad), 8 foot tall, and I believe 6 feet wide. The water spigots are inset into the wall (good). We would like a stacking W/D so that we can use the space to fit a small upright freezer (that would go into another tangent that I am not going to pursue). The dryer vent is on the right facing side of the closet.

I am short, and cannot reach the dryer controls on most stacking front loading W/D. Yes, I could use a step stool, but this is my "aging in place" condo and while I am not old now, do intend to grow old in this unit and so that is not a long-term solution. Sears has a dryer with a "flip" feature that allows you to put the controls on the bottom, but the depth of the unit is 29.75 inches. I don't think there would be enough depth to allow for hoses in the back, and I don't want to buy a unit and then find out that it won't fit.

So, I need a unit that will fit depth-wise, and allow me to reach the controls. Other than a $2700 Speed Queen stacked all-in-one unit, does anyone else know of a stacking W/D that has good ratings could fit? We are considering modifying the folding door and track to allow even one or two more inches, but I would need to work that modification in to the price factor as well. We really don't have room on either side of the closet for a barn-door type, any sliding door would need to be mounted over the closet opening and then one the doors slide over the other -- which could be an option.

Any suggestions or someone else who has dealt with this?

Comments (13)