CHURCH PEW DILEMMA

kjoy1

Hi guys:) I got my hands on a church pew from the church I went to as a child and was married in. The ideal location I would like to put it is in this bay window near my kitchen table. Pros...it is a perfect spot to sit and watch my kiddos in the backyard and watch the sunset. Cons...I feel like it might be too long for that area and possibly an oak overload with my oak hardwood floors and oak table. Looking forward to your opinions...

Love it
Hate it
SaveComment4.1KLike4 299
Comments (4.1K)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Flo Mangan

Hey, where did my basket of hydrangeas go! Lol. I love stealing from other pics. So much easier.

Save    
niccidhg

Your vignette does look so nice. I hope you’ll really do that in the end, Kjoy ;)). —- I wanted to say that another thing that allows “the rule “ to really be relaxed is that this space not only has the tall ceiling, but also is OPEN to larger spaces on two sides. I think that makes a big difference.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Ooh I just found this one. It is 40.5 wide, but I have bought many similar ones for clients and I would bet you can swing those arms to an oval shape. Good price and you might be able to find coupon too. I think this mimics the PB one at much lower price. 🥳

Save    
kjoy1

Say it ain’t so @Julie Zygmontowicz. Poop. You are crushing my go big or go home chandelier dreams. Haha. Here is a mock of LR view of that 40ish“. Still have 18-20 inches space until side wall. Obviously it would also hang over the banister on the landing side 20 inches. If it is hung high doesn’t seem like it would be a problem but if it was hung lower it would impede that area

Save    
kjoy1

I am going to check those out Flo. Thanks!

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

What does it measure from top railing to ceiling?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Hi @Julie Zygmontowicz top railing to ceiling is 6 ft :)

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

I wound not hang it any lower than your mud room lighting because when standing and looking at the staircase you don’t want to be looking directly at that light...42” would be huge in the small area..I had a 42” chandelier in my big family room 22x20...and it looked huge in there...I just can’t imagine a 42” chandelier in the little stairway....what is the diameter of your mud room drum lights?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

More this look..still has a great impact but fits the area perfectly...

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz my mudroom drum light are 18 inches

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy you can hang whatever size you want..just suggesting what I would do...no worries

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I know @Julie Zygmontowicz 🙂 I appreciate that and respect your opinion. What smaller chandelier would you suggest then? Can I still get away with smaller chandelier and no art?

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I really like that square glass one on the bottom right that HIWE posted. Maybe something like that would have enough presence in a smaller size?

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Kjoy, maybe add on to your broomstick whatever you hung on the existing light to mimic an oversized light. And then attach something smaller to compare the looks. Flo always suggests balloons or such. :)

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I’m just one voice but I love the contemporary look of the Luca type chandelier. I found this one which is chunky but 26”. It seems the smaller they get the more $$. I like the lantern type generally but I think it’s a bit too staid looking for your young vibe.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Sorry for the radio silence. I worked today and just got home 🏡. Thanks Pool. I like the bottom right as well. @Julie Zygmontowicz do you have a source for that or was it just for inspiration? I will do more mock-ups or broom-ups tomorrow 😉 Catching up on other threads. HIWE is it your birthday today or tomorrow...either way HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂🎈🎁. My sons birthday is Sunday. Sweet 16. How time flies. Pool yours will be that age before you know it. Write everything down. You forget so quickly. Seajay you are just one voice but you are mighty! Luca type is also my first choice. I have noticed too that prices increased with a smaller size. What is up with that!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Hi Kjoy

Birthday is tomorrow the 18th..Thank You!

those are just inspiration images..but here is one from Shadesoflight.com very similar didnt Check the size?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

I found this and it is simply beautiful!

very nice simple lines and very pretty from the side Good size 29” wide....but not huge!

Love the round shape flows nice with your drum mudroom lights....

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Seajay I like both chandeliers you posted but the chunky one is too much 💰 💵 💰. Do you remember how big this one is?

Save    
kjoy1

This one is pretty but too much 💵

Save    
Molly

Wayfair has a gold and black long arm at 36”

Save    
kjoy1

That is a pretty chandelier @Julie Zygmontowicz is it spendy? Happy Birthday officially! Hope you have a wonderful day:) The question I have is will the smaller chandelier be enough or would I need art too?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Thanks Kjoy..just relaxing....my hubby bought me beautiful floral and had a red velvet birthday cake delivered today!! Ordering take out from Perry steak house..

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

29” width will be great really and if you ever decide on hanging a surfboard it will still work...The chandelier is $230....what measurement did you come up with for length max on chandelier for that stairwell?

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I know I’m going against the tide but if you have 35” to hang a chandy, this would be awesome and provide a lot of interest on that wall. Just popped up on my feed.

2 Likes Save    
ladma

Happy birthday, HIWE. my granddaughter shares the day. She's 3 today.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Happy birthday to your granddaughter ladma, such a fun age! Pool party?

2 Likes Save    
ladma

My CT daughter, hubs, and 2 1/2 year old were here all week. we had lots of swimming and playgrounds, and ice cream and cake. it was fun to see the cousins play.

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Hi guys! We had a party weekend around here as well. My son turned 16 and we celebrated my twins son graduation because his ceremony was cancelled. It was so nice to see my immediate family and celebrate something. @Julie Zygmontowicz how to I determine my max height of chandelier...I am assuming I have to decide on how high the chandelier should hang. My current lightbulb chandelier hangs down 31 inches.

2 Likes Save    
mary44

Hi Kjoy :) Beautiful family picture...Happy 16th birthday to your son! Did he get his drivers license?? I'm not sure what your driving laws are in North Dakota...:)

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Another thing I could do...even though it would drive my hubby crazy...because I am always “messing” with things 🤔🧐🤪 I could put the chandelier that I have over my table in the stairwell and put a different one over the table 🤷‍♀️ Silly idea? Here is a pic of my DR chandelier. Lighting is super bright this morning

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Hi Mary! Yep he has his driver’s license. Please pray for me. Haha 😬

1 Like Save    
mary44

Oh I know scary at first....I remember when my son got his license but after a while it was nice that he could help with errands and his sister while I was at work.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy I think switching out the chandelier in dining would be great..it is a nice size and love the rustic wood element...nice if you decide on surfboard or wall decor....than you can look at more linear lighting for kitchen dining and you can go pretty big in there!

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Kjoy. So nice to hear y’all had a fun weekend. Sleeping for an entire weekend would be my idea of fun😉. Yeah, I guess you can switch the chandelier but I think the one over your table might be small in the stairwell. I really like the idea of a dark metal to play nicely with drum lights in mud room.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

???

Save    
kjoy1

LR view

Save    
kjoy1

This one is too expensive and I did a very lazy mock up but I have always imagined something more French Country over my table...

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Oh yeah, I 💗 that chandelier over your table. The ball looks good in the stairs but I’d probably want to add some art.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

You can do either. I would want art on that stair wall no matter what. Just polished off that space. You have high ceiling over table so you could do this one. It is bigger than you initially think so have to measure. Brb with photo. Have to hunt a bit.

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Look at this cutie pie I love and just found.

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Here close up

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Sorry meant to post these

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Found it! I put a pair of these in the entry areas of my previous home and they looked great! Subtle look, which is your style, but lovely lines. Beads instead of crystals which might appeal more to you. The darker parts are kind of bronze chains. (top draping down) the finish is a kind of washed gray.

Feiss 6-Light Chandelier · More Info

Save    
kjoy1

I adore that look Seajay...French Country...rustic yet pretty at the same time. Love. What I don’t like is the price. Is a budget of $200 unrealistic?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Same with yours Flo. Adore the look...hate the price $520 😳

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I was shocked at price. I bought them about 2 years ago on sale at Houzz for $222 each! Sorry. We can find french at lower price for sure. Just takes a little hunting.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Phew. Ok Flo!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Here are a few. I didn’t check sizes. But from your pictures I think they would work.

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks Flo! I don’t like those as well as the expensive ones yesterday. Lol. Image that. Hehe. I am going to take a closer look at them though. Thanks again!

Save    
kjoy1

Ok @Flo Mangan and @Julie Zygmontowicz what would be the appropriate size of chandelier I should be looking for...for above my table. Table is 78 inches x 42 inches. Ceiling in that vaulted area is 10+ feet. Pretty please 🙏😇

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy go big over your table get your black chandelier it will just pop against all the light walls!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

28-30” round x 28-30 high.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy what other lighting is in the kitchen? Pendants?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

World market great price! I like the black on it...so you want a french country look?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Higher price but I just love this look!

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

$259

all rustic white finish? Crystals?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

One more...32” wide!

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

$319

32” wide

one of my favorite chandeliers...would look amazing over your table.

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

This is the one you really liked but with shades...$219

very big! 37” wide...

Save    
kjoy1

Flo. Thank you for giving me size direction:)

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz I have two pot lights over my island, a lightbulb chandelier over the sink 😬(close your eyes Seajay), and a fan in the kitchen. I have the same fan in my LR which is very close by because this is a small open concept home. looking at all the chandeliers you posted now. Thank you! Here is some pics of other lighting in the area...

Save    
kjoy1

Yes HIWE. I am drawn to French country...thought it would look nice with tv stand and coffee table. Reminder

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy those fans😳🤣

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

you Know you can buy replacement fan blades....

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Yep the French lights will look pretty..I forgot that room is next to kitchen..so pretty!!

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Haha. I know. Husband is from California and insists on them. I hate the things.

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Save    
kjoy1

I did not. Will definitely look into that!

Save    
kjoy1

Love these 3

Save    
kjoy1

This one is probably my favorite and of course it is the most expensive

Save    
kjoy1

Still love this look. Probably the most cost effective route while still achieving cottage/french country look I like

2 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Do you have a favorite HIWE?

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

What!? You bought TWO of those light bulb chandeliers. LMAO.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I ran across this one. I see your home as more “transitional” than French and with all the light colors some contrast will be very nice. This is perfect size, casual but elegant. Price is very nice!

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Seajay I think it was a 2 pack 🤪😅🤣

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I do like the contrast of black over here. I think all of us suggested this one in one form/size for the stairwell. Here it is with/without shades.

2 Likes Save    
Theresa Janssen

is that a cute piggie on your table...love it

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Haha. Theresa. Yes. It is a paper towel pig. The kids have named it Wilbur from Charlottes Web. We have fun with it :)

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

so, it's a paper towel holder?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Yep :)

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

How cute!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy....I the black over the table.... it looks nice...Try a mock up of this one..it is my all time fav..it just seems to work in so my different room styles...and the shades are cream instead of bright white..

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy all your landscaping looks beautiful!!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy what did you think of the Bolton Empire chandelier? Did it post I can’t find my post..I have been loosing them? Anyone else

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Yes. I posted a couple times and they haven’t shown up. Annoying.

1 Like Save    
RedRyder

The black chandelier looks good with and without the shades.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz can you tell me the name of this one so I can find some clean photos to do a mock-up:)

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz thank you! I love how my landscaping turned out. Enjoying it everyday! My hydrangeas just keep blooming and blooming. At the very end of their bloom they turn the lightest shade of pink. So pretty.

2 Likes Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz I adore the Bolton Empire chandelier! It is my favorite. I love the black on it...the white beads are so pretty and would look great with my white tv dresser and white woven wood shades. What I don’t like is the price. If it was $200 I would have bought it like yesterday 😉

Save    
kjoy1

Flo I am having trouble posting pics as well. Takes forever or doesn’t go through at all. Ugh.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for the vote RedRyder!

Save    
kjoy1

Here is yours Flo. It is very pretty! I wish it was black instead of bronze to tie into the black hardware on tv dresser, curtain rod, pig, and so on...

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Kjoy. Here’s similar one to Bolton for a little less. Might find coupon. Etc.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Kjoy I read a tip on IG that if you cut your hydrangea for a vase and they start to wilt, put them in hot water and they will perk up.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I like the Laluz. You could easily darken metal. At under $200 you can buy a tube of black rub n buff and in 30 min change it. From a few feet away even without the black it will read dark. But up to you.

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I know it's not quite the same but I have some black curtain rods and most of my other hardware is ORB and you can't tell the difference. But agree a little black R&B could fix anything.

Have you looked on Wayfair? When I was browsing DR lights on there I got a call from their lighting specialist or whoever and they seemed eager to work with me on a deal. Just saying if you find something you like on there but not the price, I would give them a call. Or even call and see if they have something similar to one you find elsewhere.

Save    
kjoy1

Flo thanks for finding the Bolton for less. I will look for coupons 😘

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for the hydrangea tip Molly!

Save    
kjoy1

Valid point about the laluz Flo. I will keep that in mind. I agree that it is pretty :)

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I love how hydrangea blossoms change color over time! So pretty. I need to go check mine! My hibiscus are glorious right now too.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Morning Glory!

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Beautiful Flo!!!

Save    
kjoy1

White. Sloppy mock up.

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Morning Kjoy☕️

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Waldorf by Foundry

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

I like the chandeliers that have curved lines rather than straight, since your chairs have curved backs. I still like the original black wide arm fixture you had initially mocked up in your foyer stairwell , which would leave your current dining fixture in place.

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

This one is what I meant for in foyer. Have you excluded this for there ? I really thought it looked so pretty and went great with your mudroom/ foyer theme.

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Gosh I love that mock-up too Nicci! What I like is that it was large and I felt like it completed the space and I didn’t need to add art. If I move the chandelier that is over my table to the stairwell I feel like it won’t look complete and I will still have to find some sort of art to complete the look. Did that make sense? I guess I could buy 37ish black chandelier and if it is too big for the stairwell then I still have the option of putting it over the table 🤷‍♀️

Save    
Theresa Janssen

correct me if I am wrong, the large black arm chandelier is quite wide and will go past your stairwell and that's why you added the cute table and flowers to help stop someone from possibly hitting the chandelier. IMO I dont think I would like the chandelier going past the stairwell, would look odd to me. it seemed like you really want that chandelier and so I think you should put it in your dining room and put the current one from the dining in the stairwell, see how you like it for a while to determine if you dont need art for the walls.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz here is the Waldorf :) Shades always look super white in mockups but doubt they would be that white.

Save    
kjoy1

You are correct Theresa:) It would extend past the stairwell but also could be hung high enough to walk under. I just like the look of it hung lower...like it was a piece of art :) I think if I want something large there it will have to be linear. Thank you for your thoughts and vote it really helps me a lot :)

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy I just love that Waldorf..it reminds a bit of the Johnathon Adler chandelier very classic...can’t go wrong..size is perfect.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy have you thought about just printing a black and white surfboard image and framing it for stairwell?

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz I don’t dislike the Waldorf but it is more modern than I usually choose. I will let it marinate for awhile. Surfboard art with this chandelier?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Yep

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Have you done a mock up of the Bolton?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz I haven’t yet. Because it is perfect👌 but too expensive 😩

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

What about this one and you could just dab on some black paint? $259......27.6” wide

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I actually think the Bolton is too formal for your table and chairs. The other one on left looks more in keeping with your dining furniture and the overall space. More “transitional” feeling. Not too heavy.

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I’m with Nicci on this point. The curvy arms look best to my eye as well.

Save    
kjoy1

Thank you for your thoughts Flo!

Save    
kjoy1

Seajay. Curvy arms is best for over table or stairwell or both? 😉

Save    
kjoy1

Just had a town hall zoom meeting about sending our children back to school. Such a hard decision. Makes my stomach hurt. Pool have you decided what you are doing with your kids and school yet?

Save    
kjoy1

with this option do we like shades or no shades?

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Both stairs and table. No shades for me but if you like the look I think it’s fine. Your style says to me that you like simple clean lines. So I think this works well. If budget wasn’t an issue I’d really be pushing the chandelier I posted earlier with the soft crystals in the French country style. But alas not to be.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

With the style of the kitchen chairs I really liking the simple shaded chandelier..the Bolton is beautiful but may be a bit busy in your setting??

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I saw this place has a sale right now. Maybe you’ll find something.

https://www.1800lighting.com

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I agree no shades for me

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I know Seajay...budgets are a total buzz kill!

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz are you voting for this simple chandelier you suggested?

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks Pool I will check out that site. Thanks for the vote! Did you see my school question?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

vote is for Waldorf..you need height with the tall celing..

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

But the other chandelier fits in your budget I totally get it! both look nice but when you have nice high ceiling I love to fill the air space a bit more.

Save    
Molly

I’m not sure what you think of this, but I think the size and price are right.

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Oh yes, Kjoy sorry! My phone is on its way out and sometimes decides it needs a break 🙄

Our district announced last week we will have a delayed start on September 8 and do the first 6-weeks online until mid-Oct. assuming it’s safe. After that parents can choose for kids to return to campus or continue distance learning. It was unclear if you choose distance if that’s for the whole year or just remainder of fall semester. But once you pick that you can’t return until at least next semester.
Supposedly there will be a lot more video teacher led instructions and better assignments. Parents will also have to participate in some kind of info sessions on the lesson structure or such.

The daycare my youngest goes to still is working on some kind of classroom for students to attend for additional education support. They haven’t worked it all out yet. But if possible, I may send my oldest a few times a week just to get some in-person instruction, even if just kindergarten skills.

What are people saying and wanting in your area?

It is hard bc everyone comes from a different perspective. Two of my mom friends don’t think twice about going back. But me and another have reservations, even though our kids are all in the same summer camp. But there it is groups of the same 5-7 kids. You can’t really do that in a school classroom.

Even my teacher friends & family members have different opinions. But again they also have different lives. Some with no kids, some with young ones, and some with teens. My step-sisters school said she has to teach her video classes from her classroom, but her own kids will need some parent help with online school work but they aren’t allowed in her school building. So what is she supposed to do?

On the other hand my childless teacher friend wants to be at her school bc she’s tech illiterate and also needs the structure.
I’m just trying to go with the flow and be thankful my job is allowing for the flexibility. It’s hard on everyone, but worse on some. And I feel those are the people who need to be part of the decisions more than me.

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Sorry for the novel! 😂

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

It is so hard isn’t it. My youngest grandson has been back in daycare for several weeks. No problems and my son and his wife are happy. They both work from home and we’re getting nothing done with active year old boy who is walking now. Or should I say running! He is a very happy little guy. They are both in the medical field and are used to delving into scientific journals etc. They discovered several countries who did not shelter in place and kept schools open or closed and opened late April. 99.96% of kids under 15-16 have not gotten the virus. The average age for teachers in Texas is 41. Also a low risk group. And there is more but I would want my kids in school for many reasons. It will be overall healthier for them and all. If there are teachers who are older say over 60 they can take a leave. In our specific area, 90% of the teachers are under 35. So I think it is a emotional time but once we move forward we will be ok. Still being careful of course. Washing hands, distancing and masks. Good luck with your young ones. You have such a positive attitude I think that is half the battle. We will not kill this virus so we have to be aware and take precautions. Personally, I think kids in grocery store are more of a risk. I don’t envy your position Pool but I do know you love your girls. All good vibes to you and your family.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Sorry for long pep talk! 💗🤗

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

this Is so pretty...28” wide! Love the graceful curves has a bit of a French style

Save    
Theresa Janssen

I really like those two HIWE just posted, unique shapes, delicate feeling, simple looking but substantial in size and love the curves. I like the idea of curves vs straight lines in a fixture for above the dining table.

Save    
kjoy1

Thank you Pool and Flo for giving me your thoughts on school reopening. Basically we were given 3 options 1. Face to Face at school working through 3 phases of restrictions every 2 weeks based on Covid numbers 2. Distance Learning but not through the school. It would be through a different platform with different teachers, curriculum, and schedule. If you choose this option you are also not allowed to play sports. 3. Your own choice of homeschooling. Ugh. There is advantages and disadvantages for all the options but none are perfect. With option 1 potentially the kids could be starting and stopping school every 2 weeks all year long. And masks will be mandatory. Which I am in favor of but the thought of sending my 6 year old to school to wear a mask all day breaks my heart. I hate that option 2 is not through our school and curriculum and my 16 year old said he would die if he couldn’t play football. I am not interested in option 3 as I would want guidance. Pool it is also a mixed bag of feeling here as well. Some parents have no problem sending their child to school. They have full time jobs and need their children at school. Others like me are very hesitant. Since I don’t work full time I have more lei-way to keep my kids at home to teach and protect them more. I honestly don’t know what to do. Anyways thanks for letting me vent. This will all work out but is heavy on my heart right now.

3 Likes Save    
niccidhg

Good luck with your decision struggles, Kjoy. I feel for all of you parents ( as well as school system employees and kids) in these precarious times !

Save    
kjoy1

Thank you Nicci! Yes this also has to be a hard decision for teachers and staff as well. I keep asking my mom what she would do and for the first time in my life she has no opinion or clue. Haha. Sometimes it feels like a dream that this is all happening. Surreal for sure.

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for more options HIWE. I will check them out and do some mockups.

Save    
kjoy1

Molly yours just popped up too. I will check it out. I like that price!

Save    
kjoy1

Molly’s

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz you were up posting late! Everything ok? Still feeling tough from sinus infection?

Save    
kjoy1

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

kjoy, I totally get being sad thinking about our littles having to wear masks to school. I thought about it the other day too. I try to remember though that in their whole scheme of life, this will (hopefully) just be one year they will look back on and say "remember that one crazy year we had to masks. that was nuts". you know? And at least they aren't having to practice bomb drills and hide under desks.

My girls each have a few masks with flamingos and mermaids on them, and honestly they don't mind wearing them if it means they get to get out into the world or see their friends.

I just bought each one of these face shields. Maybe something like this would at least have your kids not hate it?

https://www.miabellebaby.com/collections/face-masks/products/kids-character-and-animal-face-shields-adjustable

or these charachter ones

https://www.miabellebaby.com/collections/face-masks/products/kids-characters-reusable-washable-face-masks-with-filter

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

This one just popped up in my mailbox. Great price.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Easy to add some black if you wanted it on arms.

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Looking back over the lights, I think Flos' Laluz is my favorite so far. It has the wooden beads you like and a nice flow to it. Was there a reason it doesn't work?

Molly's is a little too stark with that much black to me. The all whites disappear to much into your walls, etc.

I think a more rustic black or some black with white/cream combo looks best to me.

I think with the price range, it may be best to focus on the shape and overall look and then SIY gussy up the color easy enough if that's not perfect as-is.

Save    
kjoy1

I hear you Pool! My little guy hasn’t had to wear one very often but when he has he wasn’t able to handle it very long. After about 20 minutes he was complaining that it hurt...it was hot...he couldn’t breathe well. You know how kids can complain! In the meeting they made it sound like they had to wear masks when 6 ft distancing couldn’t be maintained. So maybe in the classroom...if they were far enough apart...they wouldn’t need to wear it all day. Thanks for the mask links. I have ordered a few because I know they will sell out fast. This one is a 5 pack. One for every day of the week. With a mesh bag to wash them in. I haven't received them yet to give you a review:) https://schoolmaskpack.com/collections/kids-mask-packs?utm_campaign=New%20Customer%3A%20Welcome%20to%20SchoolMaskPack&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Post-Purchase%20Followup%20-%20Order%20Count%20Split&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJvbHNlbi5ram95QGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIlJxRGNRZSJ9

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

what size are we looking for? I forget

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

love those masks thanks!

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Morning Kjoy

yep Up late seems to be my thing as of late...up until 2-3:00 am it’s fine I sleep until 10:00! Have my coffee and good to go☕️🤗☀️

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

HIWE, I have been staying up until 11-12, which is really late for me. But I think DH may be starting to get annoyed bc I'm not waking until 8:30 and he's been up working out and getting the girls breakfast and dressed and in the car already. oops! lol I guess I'l have to start setting my alarm again :) or go to bed earlier ;

Save    
kjoy1

Pool as far as I can figure you are suppose to get a size that is 1/2 - 3/4 the width of your table. Since my table width is 42 inches wide...I think I am looking for a chandelier that is 21-32in wide. Pros correct me if I am wrong. Has anybody found a simple black one like this in a 32?

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Because of your higher pitched ceiling you can hang it a bit higher than the normal 32” Above table you have a lot of air space over your table..so I think you could push the size up to 36” And do a more layered style....lengthwise....and if you go with light color wood. It can have even more detail....that last one seems so ordinary🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

What about the black basket style I love and posted for stairwell?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Try a mock up of this one too

Save    
Molly

Kjoy I liked your original light over the table and was imagining the one I suggested for the stairs. No worries if you don’t like it there.

Save    
kjoy1

Hehe. Yes. Ordinary but cheap 🤑 Could dress it up with shades and magnetic beads and crystals 🤷‍♀️ I will do a mock-up if the other one.

Save    
kjoy1

Ok Molly. I can try it in the stairwell. Thanks!

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Back to size for chandelier. What I do is combine both specific measurements and visual assessments so things like volume of space get factored into the size envelope. I tend to max out widths to 2/3+ width of table. You want to avoid people hitting their heads when getting up from chair. I tried scrolling back to find your table size. Couldn’t find. I know I posted some measurements but I don’t see them. At any rate, I think you said your table is 42” wide x 72” long? So with 2/3 rule for round you can do 28-30” round. You have enough ceiling height to go up to 30” high. That is beginning point. But heck, when I find one I love, and it will physically work and price is right, Katie bar the door! Shape of chandy factors in too.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I sure feel for all making school decisions. I think the only way we will reduce fears is to open schools, use common sense and closely observe then adjust if needed. Will some get ill? Probably Worse than flu season? Probably not. All the data I have researched says children under 15 are about as safe as can be. And if child contracts it, it is mild or asymptotic. Each family has to do what they feel best about. As someone once said “you don’t know, what you don’t know”. Experience is going to tell the tale. God Bless you all.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Sorry Pool. I didn’t see all the options you sent. Nice!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

My daughter in law is a teacher and is really scared to go back..she said it was hard enough to get them to wash hands! A good pointe she made was if the kids get It even if it is a mild case they need to be quarantined from the family...sure stick a second grader alone in a room..mom and dad still need to care for them depending on the severity..than what about the parents they are going to be exposed no matter how you look at it...just the ride home from school with mom or dad is enough to get them infected..it is a horrible situation but better than going to war we have it made and we can have control.....if everyone would just chill and stay home..the future is remote everything so I guess it is going to happen sooner than we thought! The kids will be just fine it is the adults that are causing all the trouble😬 just one infected child will cause a domino effect in a school...this is going to be interesting🤔

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

There is no scientific evidence that staying home stops spread. We cannot eliminate this virus. We can only mitigate against it. Numerous countries did not lock down, did not close schools and no spreading resulted. Denmark, Austria, Finland, Sweden to name a few. Harvard School of Public Health recently released a study with the following results: closing schools least effective at preventing spread; social distancing most effective when in public; mixed evidence with regard to masks because not enough students were wearing masks when study was conducted in April/May timeframe. Protecting seniors best practice since most deaths are in people over 70. Just sharing some good factual info. All I know is deaths are way down like half from April peak. An increase in hospitalizations, but less severity, quicker releases from hospitals, improved treatments, fewer people on ventilators and better hope for medical vaccine down the road. So I am hopeful. Taking precautions, following mask wearing even though I know they are only 4% useful but make others feel better. I am ok with that. So stay at home if you feel that is important to you, be safe when you go out and don’t over protect. Sometimes that can be counterproductive. One size fits all usually doesn’t work. Julie, you are on my sleep schedule now. I will have you to hang with between 10 and 3! Welcome to the Night Owl club!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Super cute French inspired..iron with wood beads

Save    
kjoy1

Yes. It will be a domino effect for sure.

Save    
kjoy1

I like the black basket one both in the stairwell and over the table. I think it looks substantial and delicate at the same time. I think it has a unique shape but still looks classic.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I like the basket more in entry than breakfast area. It seems to almost disappear against all the light.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

This one is pretty. Delicate and has that French country style I like

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Molly here is yours in stairwell:)

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I think this one from Pool can work in either stairs or table as well because of its size 30”

Save    
Molly

Thanks kjoy, it seems too formal to me there.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Keep in mind, your dining furniture is large, so too "delicate" might not work well. The French styles that have more "heft" would better. I prefer that last one because of this factor. Do you expect to keep the dining set? If so, I suggest going with stronger look for chandy in this location.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Pool also found a smaller 30” x18” simple black one that I like but it is out of stock at the moment. Hamza 6 - Light Candle Style Chandelier. Hamza 6 - Light Candle Style Chandelier

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

A couple more to mock up.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I posted the Wagon wheel one because it is on sale and lower than I have seen it lately. I prefer the Girard because it has beefier look and has both light and dark features.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Similar but right at your price point.

Save    
kjoy1

Thank you Flo for you thoughts on COVID and chandeliers! One thing I must point out about masks...the same mask I wear to Target is the same mask they hand me when I walk into the hospital to care for someone with COVID. We wear special N95 masks or hoods only when we are providing an airalyzed treatment like ventilation or nebs. So if those masks are not working I would think there would be more spread with nurses/doctors.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I understand your POV and experience and I value it and your service immensely. It is noble work you are doing. Thanks! Any thoughts on the chandeliers I found for you?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I like them :) Off to the park right now but will do some more mock-ups this afternoon. BTW I am planning on keeping my table. It is real oak. I must admit at one time I disliked it greatly but have grown to like it again. The light oak color seems to be getting popular again. Isn’t that how design works. You wait long enough and your things will come back in style 😉

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

what I will say quickly about COVID is that we should be listening to medical professionals. Dr. fauchi is a 40+ year expert in infectious diseases, an expert in AIDS, and if he suggests it's not safe to go back to school because we dont know everything about the disease yet, then I believe him. simple as that. this is not a political discussion, it is a medical and health discussion. again, simple as that. I am not an expert in his field and so I will look to him for expertise in his field. I wouldnt look to him for expertise in fixing breaks on my car, I would look to a mechanic.

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

All the data I referenced was from respected scientific studies such as the Harvard School of Public Health so each person has to make their own decision based on their circumstances which is why I like the choices being given parents here by our district. It is all local.

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

What I do for me can impact what happens to my neighbor and then to my neighbors family and so on and so on. we dont live in individual bubbles where my actions only impact me. to me, there is no such thing as local when it comes to a pandemic.

3 Likes Save    
Theresa Janssen

my new favorite for above the dining table is this one, simple but gives a nod to French country and has a unique shape for the room

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Theresa, I meant the decision-making of school districts. Please don’t take me wrong. We are wearing masks to prevent spreading. I am curious as to why countries who have not done these things are apparently having good outcomes. Science is a process of continually asking the “why” question to develop better answers to perplexing problems. More information and experience will benefit everyone.

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

All I ask is no wagon wheels and surf boards. 😉😔

2 Likes Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz I like the height of this one but feel it is maybe too ornate?

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Flo, it first appeared Sweden was having success even though they didn’t close anything down. Not so much anymore it turns out. To my knowledge most other countries are using masks and have been to help control the spread. The US couldn’t do that bc we didn’t have any to spare.

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I agree Kjoy, a little too much muchness

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Oh I love it the beads are wood so that would give it a casual feel..and the light metal also would let it blend more and not be too bold...and with your big French coffee table I think it is perfect...

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Here is the wagon wheel. Haha

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Love the Nadia too my second choice!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I am loosing track here. Nadia? Could you repost that one?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

This is Nadia Flo

Save    
kjoy1

Seajay do you have $425 that I can borrow 💵💰🤑 That French Country chandelier is really pretty. I like the gold and white combo. I think I am drawn to it because I have gold and white hardware

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Love it. So perfect.

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I love this last one too. Is it the The one that’s $425?
Maybe we can find something similar and you can R&B the finish

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Well, if you name it Seajay and love it, I’ll see what I can do! It is perfectly perfect I must admit.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Here are a couple more. One might be too big.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Yes Pool the last one I posted is $425. Seajay found it very early on but I quickly dismissed it because it was so much money. I am giving her a hard time but I do think it is very pretty.

Save    
kjoy1

Pool I am really liking this one you found too. I like that it looks good both in the stairwell and over the table. I could try it in stairwell. If it looks to big I always have the option of swapping it for the chandelier at the table

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Very pretty Molly. I think the 39” one is too big. I will check out other one. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Found the Seajay for less!

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

What do you guys think of this one?

$219

29.5 x 30.7

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I think it gives a similar look and feel to Seajay’s find. The white is a little brighter and the metal a little darker. But for the price, if you are willing, you could easily match the inspo light with a little R&B to gold it up and some dark wax or such to age the wood part.

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Or keep it as is if that works for you!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I like it over the dining table but not in the entry. But nice fixture and meets your needs including price. Heck, I thought I would at least get a smile for finding the "Seajay" for a lot less money! Oh well, dodging Hurricane Hanna here. No getting anything here at least so far. Might get some of the far outer bands. Got one downfall sometime overnight, but not bad enough to do much that I can see. We needed water and I don't have to water courtyard today! Yea!! Hanna coming inland south of Corpus Christi, which is a 6 hour drive from where we are, so we dodged that one! Where it is coming in is largely ranch land so hopefully not much damage or disruption. Being close to the Mexico border, there is a lot of virus trouble down there so they have prepared and already moved folks to venues with ability to space folks apart. I think that probably won't be necessary, since by the time it moves that far over land, it will be a rain problem mainly. Hope so, because the healthcare providers are done with this!

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Here’s Flo’s and mine. I think with a little finesse either could look okay. The one Kjoy found is too white to keep as is as Pool suggested. I agree about not liking the white one over the stairs.

Save    
kjoy1

Thank you for your thoughts Pool!

Save    
kjoy1

I agree Flo. I like it over the table better than stairwell. You get a huge smile for finding Seajay for cheaper 😁 But unfortunately even $349 is far over budget 😢. What is the saying...so close but so far away. Haha. Gosh. I have been avoiding the news so I didn’t even realize there was a hurricane. Thinking of you and that community. Stay safe.

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for your thoughts Seajay. I thought the white coordinated well with my tv chest and bead board island. Whites seem to super white in mock-ups so it is hard to say how white it is. Here is some pics from reviews to get a better idea

3 Likes Save    
Molly

I like it a lot kjoy. Price is right! Can it be returned if you don’t like the color in real life?

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Well that’s a whole tother color altogether. I like it in the review pics. I would try it. I do like this style for your room. It works. Fingers crossed it’s a nice white.

Hope you don’t have to get those waders on Flo.

2 Likes Save    
shwshw

Here's an interesting shape for over the stairway. The shape is long and narrow.

F3000/6DWZ/WO Hartsville 6-Light Chandelier, Dark Weathered Zinc/Weathered Oak · More Info

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Great find Kjoy love the size and the height..oh and the price 😁

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

But still my first choice is the French Chateau with the wooden drops shaped like crystals..it is just so pretty.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Shwshw I adore that shape! Seems perfect for the stairwell. Especially the view from the front door. Having a hard time imagining how it would look from the LR view. Only hang up is the price. Maybe hubby would consider spending more if he didn’t have to move chandelier over the table. 🤷‍♀️ I will run it by him. Thanks for thinking of me 😘 Hope all is well...

1 Like Save    
shwshw

Just tell him you need 2 new chandeliers, lol

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

My chandelier from over my table and shwshws coordinate well. Do we prefer one in the stairwell better than another?

Save    
Theresa Janssen

same colors, but curvy

Save    
Theresa Janssen

looks like the pic didnt post

Save    
Theresa Janssen

ok, let's try something different.
$279 on houzz

Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Maybe start with ShwShws light over the stairs for now since that was your current priority. You have a light in the kitchen that works for now.

How much is it? Could you sell your current kitchen light to recoup some of your money?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Kjoy that sphere light is very appropriate for that stairwell I really like there...I think having a new beautiful light over your table will be enjoyed much more than the stairwell light..just my 2cents...I have seen that black candle light so much now on your thread it is staring to look like a black spider..sorry😬

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I have updated DH about the debauchery that has been ensuing here. Here are his favorites.

He likes this because it accomplishes my original goal of a substantial piece that wows as you enter the front door, no need for art if I don’t want it, and he doesn’t have to move table chandelier. Drawback is price.

He likes the unique shape of this one. He likes the versatile size and it could work either in stairwell or table.

He says he only likes this one because it is my favorite. He says it is too girly for him but can appreciate that it looks nice with my tv dresser and coffee table. His concern is that he buys this one...moves the table chandelier to stairwell...and then I decide that the sphere is not enough for the stairwell and I will want to buy art next week😬

Save    
kjoy1

Between those 3...what do you guys vote?

Save    
Molly

I like #1 best followed by #2 if price is the driving factor in the long run.

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Debauchery is fun! Voting for #2 for all the reasons Stated.

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I like #3 but I worry about how white it looks. The globe will be okay over the stairs. Hey, anything will be an improvement over the lightbulb. Teasing you back! If you need art, it can appear whenever you find the perfect piece. With all due respect to my dear friend Shwshw, I think that chandelier looks a little rough.

1 Like Save    
mary44

I vote for #2 being that it is more versatile and you can still add art if you choose.

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I pick #2 for its versatility.

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

I vote #3 because that's your favorite and your hubby wants you to be happy🙂 you deserve to treat yourself for all you do during COVID. you will always want to change things around so the art thing in the stairwell is a non issue to me.

2 Likes Save    
shwshw

No vote from me. I like them all

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

#2 - it is good compromise but still works great.

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for the votes! It really helps me a lot 🙏 Flo how are you doing...how is the hurricane treating you?

Save    
kjoy1

Sphere

Save    
kjoy1

Proposed chandelier

Save    
Molly

Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion. Go with the one you like best. 🙂

1 Like Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I like the stair chandelier/ entry drum light combo better than the sphere/drum light combo. But agree with Molly both look good.

What if you did a dry brush or white wash over the sphere wood to get that antiquey white look on it that you liked in that other light option?

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Sphere in stairwell for my vote if you had it over your table with that high ceiling just think how substantial it will look over stairwell...I think you need art there..just my humble opinion🤷🏼‍♀️ Than go big and exciting over kitchen table no regrets😉

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz Art?!? Waah!!! 😩 I have decided I am just bad at art. That is why I was hoping bigger lighting there would solve that dilemma. I just can’t find anything I like. Nothing seems right. I think it needs to be more cottage than coastal...in keeping with my mudroom

Save    
kjoy1

Molly I am thinking the same thing🤗

Save    
niccidhg

“ .... more cottage than coastal...” - YES . I like the swoop arm in the foyer and the sphere over the dining table, but agree either way will look nice.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

That wall needs art no worries we can find something perfect...simple Cottage farmhouse with black frame...could your hubby do shallow ledge to lean some art on?

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Pool I had the same thoughts as you at first but the more that I looked at my mock-ups the more I liked that the sphere highlighted the brown/black combo in mudroom with the brown console and black door. I do agree that my drum lights have a more formal look though. I was wondering if I could add a piece of brown or black leather to deformalize...is that a word🤷‍♀️...them a tad. Remember this chandelier from your thread?

something like this...

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

I like these together as well

5 Likes Save    
kjoy1

For sure @Julie Zygmontowicz. like the one he built for church pew? The stairwell is just to the left of this area.

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Yep.just like that...stagger art or family photos

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Coukd you paint the grey metal on the sphere light black? Would give great contrast and really flow nice from mud room..

Save    
kjoy1

HIWE. The sphere is black and brown. No grey on it.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Repeating the black in your entry with chandy is my vote. I think some art can be found. I don’t recommend repeating the shallow shelves on stair walls. Tendency for items to fall off because people running up and down stairs tend to cause movement. Ask me how I know. Lol.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

The art would need added stickum on backs should not be an issue...would look great!

must just be the image it looked like grey metal good it is black..Gosh seems it is meant to be used in that staircase...spend the budget on dining room chandy instead of two black metal candlestick lights?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

This image of color threw me off looks grey🤷🏼‍♀️ Happy to hear it is black😊

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Couldn’t resist!😉😊

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I’m not a fan of doing another photo shelf. Takes away from the special feeling of the one hubby does for your birthday.

4 Likes Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

I tend to agree Seajay, but I also noticed those shelves look full. Soooo, seems more may be in the future :)

But art can be added at a later date when it is found. Kjoy, you will know when you see it. The sphere by itself is still good!

Save    
kjoy1

I see your pic @Julie Zygmontowicz and raise you this pic 😉. Hehe

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

I agree Seajay. I think it would be a bit much as well. I have no idea what to put there but my instinct says large and simple or maybe just a wall treatment like board and batten wall grid 🤷‍♀️

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

I love that one too Kjoy! Much better!

kjoy have you ever considered painting your stair railings white like your trim?

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I’m calling both Kjoy and HIWE and raising you this one. Heehee

P.S. I think if HIWE thinks your chair railings would look nice painted white, she should get her painting clothes ready. 😂🤣😉

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Found this beautiful wood wall decor two stacked would look very cool on the big staircase wall..

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Haha Seajay! You know I absolutely adore that one! I am just waiting for my money in the mail 😉😅🤣

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz yes I have. Many times. Just never seems to pressing to do it though.

Save    
kjoy1

That is cute HIWE. Is it big?

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Check’s in the mail, Kjoy. 🙃

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

The wall panels are 20x32 thought you could stack 2

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz Even with 2 I don’t think it is large enough.

Save    
kjoy1

Continue with hydrangea theme?

4 Likes Save    
niccidhg

I really like the hydrangea theme with soft colors and the black frames. You’re so clever, Kjoy.

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

I was thinking either continuing farm theme, midwest or france...

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Look at this cute art at Hobby Lobby. To small though unless paired with something

Save    
kjoy1

Pool. Christmas art is back at HL. Wasn’t it you last year that had your eye on a piece?

6 Likes Save    
Lisa SW

Christmas in July.....Flo must be so proud!!!

4 Likes Save    
poollivingthedreamnow

Yes! I loved him last year but he was like $150! Even at 50% off I thought it was too pricey. I tried getting one after xmas when he would have been like $30 but they were "sold out" I guess they still had a few saved lol

I don't know where he would go now that I put the gallery wall up. But I bet I can find a place haha

2 Likes Save    
pat1250

So just throwing this out there kjoy.......perhaps a textile in lieu of a framed print? A quilt, a weaving, a tribal blanket???????

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

A couple of things caught my eye. Might be too rustic for you though.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Ya’all know me too well. We have been going through our storage units and sending stuff to our kids and grand kids. But NO Christmas stuff going out yet. Lol. I vote yes on large art on stair wall! Love that Santa. I got a bunch more solar fairy lights for the courtyard and patio and plan to install as soon as we shake the current weather pattern. I will look for something. Hohoho!!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Here is a “beachy” idea.

Save    
kjoy1

Seajay thanks for looking I like the window frame

Save    
kjoy1

Interesting idea pat I will ponder it 🤔 Thanks!

Save    
kjoy1

Your mock up looks great Flo. Just not convinced I want beachy there. You like the art in general tall and vertical rather then horizontal?

Save    
kjoy1

I have convinced DH to try sphere in stairwell. Hopefully he can get it done this weekend and then we can decide if art is needed and decide what chandelier looks best over table. Excited!!!

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Here are a couple of hydrangeas that pick up the runner and the downstairs colors.

1 Like Save    
Molly

What about some windows like this? 2 pair might do the trick.

Save    
kjoy1

Molly I adore that website! Enjoying most things there :) Will do some mockups tomorrow. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Exploring the antique farmhouse website. Very cool things there. Saw these bookends but I am imagining them turned upside down and used as very cool decorative corbels.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Hey Kjoy.....whatever you do on that staircase wall it should drop down below your railing...treat it like one big wall..not just the wall above the railing....think if it this way if you where looking up a staircase you would put art to cover the entire wall not just the area above the railing...I think three stacked Images would look great....love the potted flowers...maybe carry a theme like that and stack them down the wall.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Saw this while shopping amazon...great price..it is big

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Another Houzzer I am helping just ordered from this site..gorgeous gallery wall ideas...beautiful images..

3 Likes Save    
kjoy1

Seajay great minds think alike because I had the same thoughts about the corbels! In general I think I need a corbel in my life...somewhere. Is that to much for a girl to ask for. Hehe.

2 Likes Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz decorate below the stairwell 🤔 Do you have any example pics of that. I can’t picture it.

Save    
kjoy1

@Julie Zygmontowicz Umm...I love that chandelier!! Going to go look more closely at it now. Thanks for looking. Great price!

Save    
kjoy1

I will check out poster store site as well! Thanks again 🤗

Save    
Molly

I think Flo posted that chandelier earlier.

Save    
kjoy1

Yes. I think she posted one very similar but if I remember right it was over $300. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong one.

Save    
kjoy1

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Oh girl I am way ahead of you 😉🤣🤣🤣

had these images saved!

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

I think that is Flo’s chandelier. I think if you did a gallery wall totally different looking from your ledge gallery that would be awesomely. And I definitely agree a girl needs a couple corbels in her life.

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Awesomely. WHAT? I didn’t say that.

1 Like Save    
DD Deco

Love those beachy posters and bringing them down the wall! Great ideas Julie 😎 chandy looks awesomely (😂) too!!

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Gosh. You guys are amazing. For the stairway, the globe fixture is OK but kind of done? And your entry fixtures are more modern? So idk. I still prefer a large single piece of art there on staircase. It is more wow. Too many “littles” can start to look cluttered. So yes, big art that sits on that wall all the way lower than the stair railing would be my choice. I tried to depict that in my mock up letting bottom peak out on right because I could “see in room”. I was out most of the day so maybe I am too late and the train is moving. Bbl. dinner.

2 Likes Save    
niccidhg

Speaking of ..... “ a girl needs a couple of corbels in her life .” Instead of installing them , our daughter used her corbels at her former condo as decor pieces. They were giant size and she did not want them to be a permanent fixture in that home. Everyone always remarked about how interesting they were - full of character just lying on their sides. 🤗

5 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

That does look really cool. I just thought they were way too cool to be wasted on a couple of books as bookends.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

This fixture is over your budget, but if you want an orb, this look would work better with your entry fixtures. Have you ever considered painting your staircase? Big art makes a wow factor on a staircase.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

This is orb with more modern lines.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Sorry the photos posted in different order. The fixture I like is the black and gold orb.

1 Like Save    
pat1250

I’m in the one large piece of art camp. Does a “gallery” wall lend itself to being individually viewed in a stairwell? Who takes the time to appreciate each piece when going up or down the stairs?

1 Like Save    
DD Deco

Kjoy, just an idea if you go with a big art idea - you could hunt for a big canvas at second hand stores with frame and gesso over it and create an art piece with your family. Could be as simple as a big heart with your colors swirled in or sand to sea to sky ;) or a relief type and wash it with a faint color. Not as sophisticated but fun!

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Great idea DD!

2 Likes Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Bouncing off DD’s idea Kjoy, you could place a collage of family prints in the big framed art piece.

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for pics @Julie Zygmontowicz. That helps. But the only thing that I can imagine going above and below the railing is the surfboard but it still doesn’t feel right. Lots of empty space on the right but when I try to fill it in photoshop world it starts looking too busy

Save    
kjoy1

DD still not convinced on a gallery wall because I have this literally right next to this area 🤷‍♀️

Save    
kjoy1

Flo I tend to agree on one large statement piece but large = $$$

Save    
kjoy1

Thanks for your thoughts pat :)

Save    
kjoy1

DD I am giggling thinking of me making an art piece. I am not artsy like that at all. I have no drawing or painting skills...unless it is in photoshop 🤣

Save    
Molly

I’m with you kjoy, no artistic ability at all, not even photoshop. ☹️

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Nicci. I adore your daughters corbels And her huge 3 piece window/door statement piece! Wow! Where did she find that...a flea market?

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

Kjoy, that window/door is all one piece. It weighs a ton ! Allison found that at a furniture store that was going out of business. They were selling some of their room settings/props display pieces. She had four or five friends help her carry it into the house because it was so awkward and heavy, but it was a great bargain and fun find. I can’t remember from where she ordered the corbels . She had every intention to hang them , but when she got them it seemed like too much of a hassle to do that since this was not going to be her forever home and they were so heavy.

4 Likes Save    
niccidhg

Another idea for a large ,custom, any-size-you-want art piece : as handy as your husband is with woodworking, you could have him put together a frame with 2 x 4s. Find a piece of fabric you love and buy the appropriate size for your “frame” and a little extra to go around the backside of frame.. Cover frame with batting to sort of pad and soften the edges of the 2 x 4s ( optional ). Stretch and staple gun the fabric to the backside of the frame. — We did this above our master bedroom headboard to give the “ ta-dah illusion “ of a taller headboard. I used fabric that matches the window valances.

4 Likes Save    
DD Deco

Nicci, just saw that idea on Pinterest with a cool shower curtain 😁

Save    
DD Deco

Kjoy, not being artistic makes it more fun with the kids so you aren’t all bossy like me 😂 (these are for one big piece) some ideas from Pinterest:

Save    
DD Deco

Couple more:

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

Thoughts?

Save    
Molly

Is that as low as you can go? It’s probably done by now. 😂

Save    
kjoy1

No. It is just up for the moment. Lots of leeway to go higher or lower. @Julie Zygmontowicz suggested it be same height as mudroom lights...which would be way higher 🤷‍♀️

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

Higher...you don’t want to stare straight at it when standing close to stairs...it just isn’t the same as an open staircase in a foyer...

Save    
kjoy1

Should I just start where the lightbulb chandelier was?

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Just a tad higher.

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

If the lightbulb fixture (sorry, it’s not a chandelier 😉😊😘) didn’t shine in your eyes, then the orb should be ok in that same position.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

About like this.

Save    
kjoy1

here is DH (6’3”) for reference...@ 31 inches hubby can walk under it. Where Flo has it it would be eye level. It is about 41 inches from ceiling here...

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

A photo from further back so we can see view. Of course, heads need to clear!

Save    
PRO
Home Interiors with Ease

31” is good..nothing lower for sure....

Save    
Seajay Sparkles

Looks like 31” is good.

Save    
kjoy1

Ok. I will readjust to 31” and reassess. I guess my question is...if there was a small table or console or chest there could the light be lowered or does it still need to stay high? I think I know the answer...

Save    
kjoy1

Save    
mary44

Hi KJoy.... I like how it lines up with your drum
light. Do you like it?

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I would like the top visually below the arch. Is it?

Save    
kjoy1

Yes Flo it is

1 Like Save    
kjoy1

What is everyone thinking? Like it? Hate it? Put it back over table? Start over? Haha. All options open 🤪

Save    
kjoy1

What I do know for sure is that it is an improvement over lightbulb chandelier But at the higher height artwork will definitely still be needed. Poop.

Save    
Theresa Janssen

can you take a couple more pics to show how it relates to your living area? would like to see it in the foreground and background in relation to living area and any other area that shares a sight line.

1 Like Save