SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therhythmman

Repair Dog Pee Spots on New(ish) St. Augustine Sod

Ryan Farrell
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My 80 lb Yellow Lab has been peeing in the same spots since we put-in the St. Augustine a few months ago. I'm loving the heartiness of St. Augustine.

I'm aware that the best fix for dog pee bombs is probably to start with prevention. But my dog is 14 years old - I doubt I will have much luck training him to whiz in new specific areas. I also try and stay on-top of hosing down the spots after he pees - but I can only do so much.

I have also been sprinkling handfuls of sugar on the spots. This seems to be more effective on the smaller spots at preventing them from getting larger. However it does not seem to have much affect on the larger, already established dead/dry spots (as shown in pics).

Do any of the Grass Gurus here have advice on how to repair the larger spots? For example should I dig-out the dead grass in the larger spots, to allow the St. Augustine to sprigs to fill-in? Or maybe even put some plugs in to those spots? Or should I just continue with the Sugar Treatment, and eventually they will fill-in?

Edit: Not sure why photos are showing up. Here is the link to Imgur photos.

Comment (1)