SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrc21

Need help deciding what to do with empty space in large kitchen

LR Cosby
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi folks - I'd LOVE to get some ideas on what I should do with the open space between the island and the kitchen table. So, we are towards the end of a kitchen remodel. We took down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and moved the main part of the kitchen to where the old dining room was. Now we have a lot of extra space, which is nice, but I don't want it to look weird. Some things to consider: the window on the unfinished wall is going to be replaced with a large picture window, approx 4' x 4'....he said it will either be flush with the counter top or slightly below. I am thinking of putting a built in bench seat under the window and having a pretty rug with two soft chairs facing the bench with an ottoman in between....a "keeping room area." So should I do that or should I move the kitchen table to the open area, which may mean getting a new kitchen table (mine is dated anyway)...I just feel like the logical place for the kitchen table is in front of the current bay window....although it is a little bit of a walk from the main kitchen to the table. We have a nice little lake out back so I want to take advantage of the picture windows as much as possible. FYI, hood is not finished...he's adding corbels and still has to do work to the top to make it pretty. He hasn't put up the moulding yet either. Also, what pendants/chandeliers would you recommend for over the island and the kitchen table? And yes, a lot of the lights will have to be moved to different positions in the room. Also, I have boring 8' ceilings.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio