SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathe_of_heaven

Quality workmanship and finishes

Ashley Rodriguez
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I’m having my house renovated/added on and a new kitchen, mud room, bedroom, and bathroom were built. I am not happy with several aspects of the finished or almost finished product. Below are categories and here’s a link to pictures:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/112230077/list/quality-issues

Tiling:
-Kitchen backsplash grout has some holes in it, inconsistent grout widths, tiles not cut with wet saw so there’s chipped edges, Tiling around hood vent
-Bathroom shower grout edges unfinished, very wide grout lines between wall and tile, no grouting in some areas, shower niche shelves not installed
-Mudroom floor has 12 x 24 marble tiles offset by 1/3, lippage several areas far over 1/16,” Space between end of tile and baseboard or visible, tile cut to wrong size and filled with grout, inconsistent grout between the tile and door threshold Space between end of tile and baseboard visible, tile cut to wrong size and filled with grout, inconsistent grout between tile and door threshold

Paint:
The cabinets/doors/trim were sprayed but also used a roller so you can see and feel the difference in the two finishes, Drawer edges rough and not completely painted, caulk drips in frame doors, door face not caulked so open same visible, pocket door interior trim not painted or sanded, exterior doors only primed or one coat of paint rolled so there’s a color difference

Hardwood floor (red oak on screeting)
Gap between door frame and hardwood, Brussels or sawdust in topcoat, quarter round not flush against floor, visible gap between hardwood and trim edges, knotholes rough even after putty and poly, squeaks and a feeling of hollowness in areas, stair tread seems not caulked, quarter round miter joints inconsistent

Cabinets (inset):
-Kitchen cabinets have large gap between inset drawer and frame, inconsistent gap on sides of doors/drawers, protrusion past the frame face, nails visible where the carpenter missed the wood, nail and staple holes not filled, hardware screws splintered not filled, nail/screw head pop outs, pull out pantry almost in operable
-Bathroom stained wood bathroom cabinets have splintered area filled with putty
-Mudroom washer and dryer boxes have gaps between the wall

Drywall seams visible
Nail/screw head pop outs
Countertop edges not caulked on top or underneath
Holes left in backyard from electrical and plumbing trenches dug not filled in completely
Weird electrical situation under kitchen sink
Drywall texture not well done (roll on)

Please let me know if I’m being persnickety about these things. If they are reasonable to be fixed, what’s he best way so I know what I’m talking about when I have professionals come in to bid.

Much thanks!

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville