SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Show your Agaves

Let's see all the Agaves we have out there.

Comments (134)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

Aloebot, 'Creme Brulee' gets about 4x4, but it takes a good while. It offsets freely (too freely--becomes a jumbled mess quickly here). I prefer the plain species which gets larger and is much less of an offsetter, few to none.

There's a selection called 'Moto Sierra' which has lovely black marginal teeth, even better.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Agave shawii.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked aloebot
  • Related Discussions

Share Your Agave Pix With Us :)

Q

Comments (34)
    Josh's s neighborhood plant is a great example of what happens after recycling everything into making the inflorescence. Nothing is left afterwards except seeds (hopefully), pups in the ground, and maybe bulbils (clones of the plant) on the inflorescence in some species. A 10 meter high branched infloresence is spectacular. Grace, your Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' is looking terrific. Definitely NOT a houseplant. It has a terrible disposition, being sharp, mean, and vicious. It is one of the original Maguey encountered by Spanish explorers in the sixteenth century. Brad
    ...See More

I'll Show your Mine if you Show me Yours

Q

Comments (7)
    Some of our too-many horses. For a long time we've had a young chestnut mare and an ancient, long-since-retired pasture-buddy mare. However about a month ago my wife decided to move the young horse to a nearby riding facility so she could train and ride it more regularly. That left the old mare alone and lonely, so she asked around, and we got the above two for pasture board. Then a friend moved back to town, and needed somewhere to keep her one of her horses, and just after that the young chestnut mare got a cold, and the barn owner asked us to move it home so the other horses didn't get sick. It was sort-of working with two horses in the front pasture, two in the new back pasture, and the sick horse isolated in the paddock in between, but then one of the horses above figured out how to get out of the back pasture making things even more of a problem.
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Sun May 29

Q

Comments (12)
    Squirrels are cute, but ugh. The eastern red squirrels, that were released in parts of CA, finally expanded their range to reach our house this past year. Going from none here, (the ground squirrels don't venture this far into the residential area at this house), to having a pair. There goes the birdseed! That hummingbird looks freaky huge, nicole. I'm thankful while they zip so fast past my face, that they are life size, rather than that size. Can you imagine? Cute caption murraysmom. Rocket does not look please about whatever happened. BTW I saw it late, but loved your painted dog photo from the other day. I have long been fascinated by their unique, and beautiful, coloration.
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - W 4/24

Q

Comments (11)
    Placeholders until the year round residents appear again.
    ...See More
  • cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This morning's work

'Is that a stolon on your nose or are you glad to see me?'

All my secrets for free, well...at least some of them

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Secret skull, huh? I don't have any of those.

5 years ago

Jeff, when they told me to head them off at the pass, it was the best I could do.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looks more like the hip bone of a cow? Nice accent.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

@ Cactusmcharris, I don't know about the stollen on the nose, But I am glad to see you!!! Great garden accent. I like the nicely placed shovel too.

5 years ago

Stush, that's a skull. Mara, and nice to see you, too! That was just for show, but that shovel there is a right useful one, and it's faithfully rubbed with boiled linseed oil yearly or so.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • aloebot
    5 years ago

Jeff is that a regular A. americana? I don't know if you drove by El Camino High much, but they have a median that features A. americana. There are 2 out of about 6 good sized clumps that show distinct banding. It is much more pronounced than in your specimen. I really like it and wonder if it is just a sport or is another species. What say you?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I always thought that the banding was more apparent in A. proto-american than A. americana. A . americana is more needy of water. I would have thought that it would not be a good median plant for Arizona. I need to irrigate it here or it stays tiny. True, i am growing it in caliche, and no topsoil to speak of.. The Photo-americana that is growing in clay needs no irrigation. Your agave looks a bit like one of the two A. deserti.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

Aloebot, that A. shawii is a gorgeous and exotic agave for me.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff, good to see you post. I would hate to see what that skull came from.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Wan, I am actually in S.D. County California. There is not a lot of rain, but the air is not as dry and windy as AZ. The A. shawii is a native to Baja California and possibly a very few above the border. I hope you looked at the close-up mode on your viewer. I got a sun glow through the plant from the camera angle.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Wan, thank you, I will have to check out A. proto-americana. I doubt very much I would be fortunate enough to be driving by the median when the city crew is freshening it up, Ha.

Original Author
    5 years ago

J said:

Does anybody have a Victoria reginae, white rhino to post? I purchased one last Monday but Ive come to the conclusion I was duped. The seller sent me ...

Got on my email for Houzz. Not showing up here???

Do you have a photo? Yellow variegation is more common and goes for about $10 plus shipping.

• J
    5 years ago

No I do not. But I’m curious to look at pictures of them from different growers. I’ve seen the white rhino grow with long leaves and I’ve also seen pictures of it with shorter chubbier leaves. The overall plant seems to be tighter and better looking in my opinion with the shorter leaves. Does anybody have experience growing it that could say if they’re just different plants or if it’s the environmental conditions in which they’re grown that cause the difference in shape?

• J
    5 years ago

I pulled these from the internet. The one with the black background would be what I refer to as the long skinny leaves whereas the one in the landscape has a more pleasing look with the shorter, wider leaves

• J
    5 years ago

Also, Lgteacher posted a photo above of a neighbors yard, can anyone identify the agave in the back right? It’s the light green one without the yellow variegation. I have one similar to it and I have not been able to properly identify it. Thanks in advance.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Agave victoria reginae weather all green, yellow or white variegation should all be the same plant. I would say it's growing conditions that describes what your seeing. I have the regular and yellow variegation. Also when very young they almost look like another species.

There are two basic types; one pups a lot and smaller growing and the other doesn't. The variegations are from the first type that's smaller growing and pups.

These were sold as variegated but doubful they may. Showing how they pup a lot.

Thank you Rockdale for your kindness.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

J -

I have had the same question about my Agave victoria reginae. My pups looked very much like those that Stush has posted. As the plants grew, the leaves looked thinner and straighter than I was expecting. Picture in 2015.

But with age the leaves are looking chunkier. I was advised to use a larger pot to allow for faster growth, so I tried it with this plant. Picture this morning.

And this Agave A-R is showing the leaves just starting to curve.

So I don't know if this is a different cultivar, or if my growing conditions made the leaves look odd when young. And maybe that's all normal. The plants are healthy, so I can't complain.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

Here's a spectacular 'White Rhino' which I saw in the Huntington greenhouses. I think it was a donation from a well-known botanist, though I don't know for sure. I think they were re-rooting it after removal from a container, or the botanist's garden.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Eryn Falas zone8
    5 years ago
    is a spider plant an agave?
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

Spider plant is Chlorophytum comosum, which is not an Agave. They are in the Asparagaceae family.

• Eryn Falas zone8
    5 years ago
    cool thanks!
  • J
    5 years ago

Those are all gorgeous Victorias. Thank you for your help. It makes me feel more at ease with the ones I have. I bought two pups last year and wasn’t too sure they were actually Victorias based off their shape. Now i shall anxiously wait to see them in four years. Lol.

• J
    5 years ago

This isn’t my picture, but it’s defintely one I I have saved as inspiration. I’ve been collecting dwarf agave since I saw it. I’ve attached a link to the website in which I found it.

http://www.marriedtoplants.com/succulents/putting-agaves-in-pots-make-stand-landscape/

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked J
  • Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    5 years ago

Agave montana seedling loving the winter moist and cold :)

And a few unidentified ones from a mixed seed package some time ago. ID suggestions welcome :)

The 2 above look alike, maybe same species?

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alain, love that last picture of Blue Agave. Can't help with ID's.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

It was suggested to me a long time ago that A.v-r has two growth patterns. One grows like an artichoke and the other is more open looking. I like the artichoke form. I have only seen in person the open looking white variegated form. I prefer the yellow variegation to the white form. I would like to grow the white form also, but it has limited availability and is pricey. One drawback to any form of this Agave is that just when it gets nice and round and has a little size it starts to flower. I have a larger one I will probably put in a show this year because next year it may flower. I waited too long on my last large one. Unfortunately it didn't produce any seed or any plantlets.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked aloebot
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Aloebot, As for the two patterns, The artichoke doesn't pup or hardly. While the other is a pup magnet. I was told they flower if conditions are right in about 10 years. I have one artichoke one and seems every time it grows a leaf, it loosed one. I have been keeping them now on the dry side. It was while outside with too much rain that it almost died for me several times. These guys like it very dry it seems. I have a few yellow type that are doing well for me now. I don't plan to put out side until my green house is built.

I think I posted their pictures above.

• J
    5 years ago

Can you tell the difference in patterns early on or do you have to wait a few years to see? I’ve never seen an artichoke pattern on all the rooted pups at nurseries and such.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Can't say for sure. Only way I know is I had it for 15 years and it never pupped also almost the same size as when I purchased it due to a few bad years growing it. Lucky it is still alive. If i could pig it and living in a warmer climate, I'm sure it would be a nice size by now and possibly bloomed by now.

There is another one in the group called King something. Have to look it up. It is more stout and darker green and more 'artichoke like'.

• J
    5 years ago

I’m sure that earlier on I saw an agave on here named “shadow dancer”. I haven’t stopped thinking about it. For some reason I must be scrolling too fast but I can’t find it on this thread anymore. Whoever owned it, would you mind suggesting where I could purchase one? I’ve searched eBay and Etsy with no luck. Did online search for a few nurseries and they’re out of stock.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    5 years ago

J, Plant Delights usually has 'Shadow Dancer' in stock. If it is currently out they will probably have it back in stock soon.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Agave ×romanii 'Shadow Dancer', a hybrid between Agave filifera and Agave mitis var. albidior.

Mangaves and other goodies at UC Davis Arboretum fall plant sale

Wow wow wow. How cheap. Too far for me to go.

Another one I wanted!!!

And last is your pick.

We could never have anything like this in my area.

copied from search for Agave Shadow Dance.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

I thought I'd check on my A. lopantha 'quadricolor' today. I had thinned them out about 6 weeks ago. This guy has a different - and probably unstable - stripe pattern.

And here's one showing some nice winter stress.

This guy has had it rough - got stepped on a couple of time. But he is really showing some nice color.

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope that stays unstable. Might be a winner.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

I wish this was mine. A street in town has about 3 of these in the landscaping. Have any of you seen this listed for sale anywhere?

• J
    5 years ago

What is that called? I love agaves but I can’t tell the difference on some of these varieties.

This is one I purchased and has been in the ground for about a year. No pups. It was labeled cream brulee which I’m almost positive is not the actual name. It looks similar to the “kissho khan” but i honestly wouldn’t know. I would say the one you posted was similar as well but that one has more of an artichoke shape, almost reminds me of a Victoria agave.

• J
    5 years ago

I really want one now too...

• J
    5 years ago

Aloebot, I would knock on their door, compliment their landscape and kindly ask to purchase a Pup. Most homeowners fall into two categories: the plants were there when they purchased so they could care less and will probably let you take as many pups as you’d like for free OR they’re very devoted gardeners who will feel elated that you would stop by to compliment and would probably send you home with pups for free as well. Either way, worst thing is they say no (which I doubt) or it costs you a few dollars for a pup. I know my mom is the type that it only takes a single compliment before she takes you around on a mini tour and sends you home with a shoebox full of pups and cuttings. I tend to give guests anything they may ask for if I should have pups or send anyone that shows interest home with string of bananas or some rooted agave parryi pups (they give me so many babies I don’t mind sharing those.)

• aloebot
    5 years ago

J, I wish is was so. The 3 plants are in front of businesses. It would be hard to find someone 'in charge' to make the decision. I also think that since they are similar size and age they may be part of a city 'beautification' project from the past. The last strike against is that they grow so compactly that they aren't likely to make anyone think they should trim them back for safety.

• J
    5 years ago

That’s unfortunate. Do you know what it’s called? I think mine might be agave parryi cream But I still can’t determine the difference between cream spike and kissho khan

• aloebot
    5 years ago

I think this is A. potatorum kichijokan variegated or kissho kan. I know I had one of these in 4" size in the past and had no idea it could turn into this. I'm going to scour the yard tomorrow to see if it is hiding somewhere. Cream spike I think is a variegated form of A. parryi as you suggest. I would like to find it as well if the terminal spine is really purple as in pictures I have seen.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Aloebot, i think your correct. Variegated form of potatorum. I have Cream Spike and potatorum variegata. Purchased on line at The Succulent Source. Also Mountain Crest has some nice agaves offered. Their small but cheap. Shipping not bad as well.

I never seen one so old and overgrown as that one.

Most people who have gardens like that have some one else do it for them and they don't have a clue what's going on. Same with businesses, no clue and don't care to help anyone. Rare to find a gardener who is also like us who does care and gives freely.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Stush, these are crazy cool, right? I will check the sources you listed. I found my A. kissho kan this morning. I am going to read up on Agave culture in terms of increasing growth rate. It is still only in a 5 to 6 inch pot. I think it is time to put it in full sun anyway. All the plants in town are in a south facing exposure.

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Here are some more in town.

The last 2 are in a planting that used to have a very large green Agave as well. I believe it was flowering the last time I saw it. It was at least 6' X 6'. The Agaves in the 1st photo will surely outgrow their current location.

• J
    5 years ago

I really don’t like the look of overgrown agaves, but these are so pretty. The clusters look neat and tidy. The last picture could probably use some depupping but I’m really enjoying the look. Reminds me of those tissue paper pompoms people use to decorate with.

Original Author
    5 years ago

That last picture sure is an impressive A. lophantha quadricolor. Never seen on that big and even the pups are huge. I head the more you de-pup them the less pups they produce. Don't know if it's true.

If I was going to get a 'kissho kan', I would get the Desert Diamond. It has more white edges then variegata. Shows up so much more. But that little bit more makes it cost triple. So in time like everything else, it will come down in price.

Did you see the goodies at UC Davis Arboretum fall plant sale I posted above? Don't know where and would love some one near by to purchase them for me and ship them. Those were some cheap and well grown plants. Those are the deals to look for.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Need to update this tread.