SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

Grapes falling off b4 ripe, 2nd year. bugs? cut to stump?

barplants123 barplants123
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

new jersey zone 6 maybe 6.5 or 7.

plant gets full sun

will add pics if needed to show what the dead greapes look like.

I have a purple concord grape tree 7 years old. Always produced good fruit no problems at all.

Last year summer 2017 I noticed some grapes shriveling up, turning dark purple while others were premature and green still. Then the shriveled grapes fall off. About half the grapes did this. I was told it's probably some boring insect that gets into the branches and causes this.

I water it somewhat regularly. Probably more now than when it was younger and had no problems but I don't over water too much, but my neighbor forgets his garden sprinkler on sometimes it floods almost near the grape tree. I only ever gave it milorganite organic fertilizer, not too much but milo can't really even be applied too much the plant will only take what it needs basically but I don't add more than a few handfulls every coupel months.

No white dusty stuff on leaves, leaves look perfect. Plant grows along fence and spread well.

It grows off to the left and right of truck along fence. Last year it seemed one half was way worse than the other so end of Fall I cut off that whole 10 foot side. This year it's growing back quick but not really grapes on it yet. The other side I left intact last year is now bad with the dying grapes.

I don't want to spray and fungicides or pesticides on it. So should I just chop it down to a stump at Fall and hope next year it grows back without bugs in the wood?

thank you

Comments (10)