SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keith_finkelstein59

Concrete block on second story dilemma

Keith Finkelstein
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, my wife and I are in the process of designing a two-story home in South Florida. We have decided to do concrete block all the way up. In doing so, our architect has designed the home so that the blocks stack quite nicely nearly everywhere on the floor plan. We have one area that it does not and it is because we are already at our budget on square footage. Please see photos below. I tried to align them the best I could but they are slightly off.

Our architect mentioned that they can put a beam across the floor system to support the concrete blocks that begin on second story. My question is will this be more costly (or perhaps close to the same cost) than just having the second story mirror whats below and adding that square footage for a huge walk in closet? It is about 100 sq foot. We were being quoted $150 / sq ft for second story by a contractor to build. I'd rather just have the additional square footage if the cost is even close. The counterpoint is don't contractors mainly give a bid based on total square footage? I know they consider many other factors but would this beam cost likely hit the radar?

Additionally, would the integrity of the wall be better off if we just forewent the beam, added the sq footage, and had block all the way up on top of one another...or would it be a negligible difference?

Thanks very much.

Comments (13)