SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamindecor

What size of TV and media console do I need for this wall?

dreamindecor
5 years ago

I am in the process of redecorating my family room. I’ve repainted, replaced the window coverings, the rug, sofa/love seat, lighting. Now I need to replace the large entertainment center. The goal is to continue to create a lighter, more updated feel.

The TV wall is about 13 feet long. Room depth is 15.5 feet. Ceiling height is 8.5 feet. Current TV is 52”.

We plan on hanging a new, larger, TV on the wall and replacing the entertainment center with a media console. I know that the console should be a few inches longer than the TV. We were thinking of getting a 65” TV, making the console around 70” – 72”. And that would leave a little over 3 feet on either side of the media console. Does that sound about right?

How big a TV and media console should I get?

Also, if you have any suggestions for a media console I'd love to see them. I've looked at Wayfair, Etsy, Overstock, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel etc. But nothing has jumped out at me. Would like something with legs (to make it look more airy), but not critical.

What the room used to look like:

What it looks like now:

Looking to replace this with a lighter look:

Sitting on the sofa, looking right at the TV. Entertainment center is 9.5 feet wide. There's about 20" of wall space on either side of the unit.

Comments (52)

• mtvhike
    5 years ago

I think consoles restrict you too much. I would hang your new 65" - 75" TV on the wall, and have a low cabinet underneath for the associated equipment.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Check out Besta from Ikea I love how the pieces can be configured just as if it was custom.

• Related Discussions

New TV and Media Console

Q

Comments (4)
    Related to my earlier post, do you have a music system? Are you going to get any additional electronics (e.g. CD/DVD/BluRay player, Cable box, etc.)? You need to accommodate those as well. All your examples involve the TV being mounted on the wall, which I like. You now understand the problem of getting a large console for your "home entertainment system" - electronic devices change and you don't want to have to change your furniture also!
    ...See More

HELP!! What size media console for this wall?

Q

Comments (8)
    My first question always with a ton of wall storage/ display is what do you have that is really special to display/ I find most of these display areas are full of clutter and knick knacks that are not worth being on display and then you come back to ask how to decorate the shelves. IMO get s impler combo like Besta from Ikea where you can choose how to arrange it to suit your life and space . Usually a low cabinet to have the tV at the proper viewing height( center of screen at eye level when you are seated) some storage and a bit of display area.. You decide how to put it together and can look almost custom.These are just a sample of how to customize for your space
    ...See More

Is this media console going to be too small for TV?

Q

Comments (16)
    @Salina its unfortunately a very small wall, that’s why we are painting the wall and ceiling the same color, per our color consultant. Ive been looking around but having trouble finding real wood without veneer, made in the USA, over 70 inches but also small enough to be able to fit a small piano to the left side, with doors and shelving, and 3k or under. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! At this point though, I can get a 55” TV instead of the 65” that’s taped up. Its just for the kids and their video games, not for big movie viewing. So hard to find quality furniture nowadays that doesn’t break the bank. 😬 Edit: Everything I read online says 25% larger for console table or 3 inches of overhang on each side. So I was thinking a 74” console would be okay with the 65” TV because the width is actually 57.2” not 65”. My blue tape may be off haha.
    ...See More

media console or no media console

Q

Comments (8)
    I also recently got a new, larger television and the old stand was too small. I personally like having something underneath so I did buy a new, larger console that has four doors and a shelf for the cable box. However, it's your house, so if you're OK with it this way, don't worry about it. :-) If it's the cost that's concerning, save up and buy something later, or look in thrift shops.
    ...See More
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

So, when we purchased our new tv we were advised to measure the distance (in inches) between where you plan to mount the TV and where you plan to sit. Divide the distance (in inches) by 2 and you get your screen size.

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Function first. What exactly is in the console? Your new TV will only need about 4" of depth, meaning a potential extra foot at least in that space. That's a lot to give up. There is no need for associated equipment to be placed directly under the screen either, so that gives even more possibilities to open up that space to a more contemporary feel.

The debate rages on about the correct height for a screen - I'm in the camp that says mid-screen at seated eye-level - but the newest screens offer displays that are functional decoration when not being used for entertainment, so that calculation may change.

dreamindecor thanked Chalk Hill LLC
  • dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sammie J - with those measurements - the room is about 15.5'. If I'm sitting on the sofa, about 1 foot away from the wall and let's say the TV is max 6" from the wall that leaves a distance of 14 feet = 168" Divided by 2 = 84". That would make the TV 84"! I think the max we would go is 70", and that sounds big to me.

We are meeting with an audio guy in a few days who will also have some thoughts.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chalk Hill - you ask "what exactly is in the console?" That's what we'll be asking the audio guy we're going to meet with. What exactly do we HAVE to have today (e.g. do we really need a sub-woofer???)

Right now I'm thinking cable box, modem, DVD player?, separate audio box? Not really sure what we'll need. I know that the newer TVs don't need the equipment near the TV, but I don't have another place for it, so that's why I'm thinking of a media console/floating cabinet.

• Steve J
    5 years ago

i would go minimum of 65” with that space. The larger tv’s look big for a couple days, and then its normal and you’ll never look back. And with the smaller bezels, they’re smaller than ever before.

• mtvhike
    5 years ago

I actually disagree with the size-distance recommendations. I am currently using a 55" TV as a computer monitor. It's about 24" from me. If I want to watch a video, I might push my chair back to 3 or 4 feet. Also, if I'm in 4k mode, then these distances decrease. At home, my 52" wall-mounted tv is about 10 feet from my head and I wish it were a lot larger. The D/2 calculation says it should be a 5' (60"), but if I could go larger, I would.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

I wonder if getting lost in the Television screen is almost a key to future mental illness. Doesn't anyone recall the days of 'don't sit toooo close'. These screens are so big they are all encompassing. I wonder how much radiation is coming off those size screens? There is not any way to escape that screen.. Seems a bit crazy. I don't think there is 3 hours of television worth watching on any given day. It just seems alot like a waste of electricity, and mental capacity, and talk about a mood pill. If having a screen that large is in a home, I hope there are 1. no children growing up in that home and 2. some sort of physical exercise equipment available so one can ride or stroll or glide thru all that viewing screen. There would be no other need for decor in that room. Just a place to lay, sit, run, stand and meditate??? in front of that cave of a black screen. It's a bit nuts. But than, so is watching a movie on your 2 inch by 3 inch cell phone screen? LOL Technology gone haywire... I wonder if lead lined vests wouldn't be an appropriate accessory for screens that are so big in a small living room...maybe the local dentist has a source for such? Oh well, each to his own... someday this too, shall pass?

• Steve J
    5 years ago

@redsilver, thanks for criticizing all of us, and telling us how to run our lives based on your views, all without helping the OP in any way with her questions.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I met with a so-called media expert today. He said my room/wall was large enough to handle a 65" - 75" TV. I'm wondering if 75" would be too massive and really just take over the room, although in reality it is only 66" wide x 38" (the 75" is the diagonal measurement). PLUS, when I get rid of the massive, heavy brown entertainment center I'll have all that nice light wall to cover up. (and that will be a separate post!)

And as @Steve J said "The larger tv’s look big for a couple days, and then its normal and you’ll never look back."

A 65" TV is actually only 57" wide, so a media cabinet/console of 68" would work - but is that too small for a 13 foot wall space?

Trying to find a 72" - 80" media cabinet to hang on the wall that doesn't LOOK like a media cabinet or a console that's long enough that fits my decor.

• Steve J
    5 years ago

Once you get rid of that massive entertainment center, take some cardboard and cut it the size of the 75” tv plus a bit for a bezel and tape ot to your wall where the tv will be to get a sense of its size. Then trim it down to the 65” size to get a feel for that size. Its not the same as the real thing, but it’ll give you a good idea of wall space and what it will cover.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Steve J - I sorta did that on paper - see below. And some inspiration photos. I'm leaning more towards a floating cabinet rather than a console.

This is the Crate and Barrel 80" floating cabinet. $1200

Excelsior- Siesta Key beach condo · More Info

Pelican Bay- Cinnabar Design · More Info

I like this, but the largest is 68". (Pottery Barn = $1300)

The TV audio experts sells this nice 85" floating cabinet, but at $2800, it's more than I want to spend.

I think the room could handle a 75" TV, but then I think I'd need an 85" floating cabinet. With the 65" TV, I think an 80" floating cabinet works better than a 72".

• redsilver
    5 years ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/smarter-living/how-to-stop-your-smart-tv-from-tracking-what-you-watch.html      The bigger the screen, the wider angle view of your home they get? I do like the floating cabinets!

• tatts
    5 years ago

Redsilver: The "radiation" from old TVs was a myth based on the cathode ray gun shooting electrons at the phosphors on the front of the glass screen.

Everybody (except, apparently, you) know that TVs don't work like that any more. There are no cathode ray guns in TVs. The only thing coming from the TV is light, ordinary light, from LED light bulbs.

What a silly, trivial, uninformed, anti-science post.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

A 65" TV is actually only 57" wide, so a media cabinet/console of 68"
    would work - but is that too small for a 13 foot wall space?

Yes, that is absolutely too small for the wall AND for the TV. Which of these console lengths in relation to the TV look better to you, the longer or the shorter?

Somerset - Transitional Living and Family Rooms · More Info

Amoroso Design · More Info

Lovell Residence · More Info
    Get the longest console you can find.

dreamindecor thanked groveraxle
  • dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@groveraxle - I like the bottom two photos best. And from my crude efforts to see how the different sizes work in my room, I'm thinking I like the 65" TV with either the 80" or 85" wall cabinet.

This is a pic of how the 65" TV would size up with an 80" cabinet (which I would hang on the wall). Just look at the measuring tape length.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Dream, I'm glad to see you take the time to mock these up. So many people don't bother and then they wonder why everything looks off when they get it in the room. Now go one step further and put your TV and console templates on a 13' wall. If that piece of paper you have them on represents 13', you're golden. Otherwise, make a piece of paper to scale (you said the wall was 13 x 8.5') and put your templates on it.

If you can't find the console you like at the size you want, look into having one built by a local cabinet maker. You might find it less expensive than you think. Also take a gander at https://www.woodwaves.com/; they have a lot of floating consoles that are pretty long.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle - yes, in fact my little mock-ups are all to scale, so we do have an idea of what it would look like on the wall.

But this is an expensive transition, so the reality is that we just need to take all the stuff out of the entertainment center, move it to the side and tape up the size options of the 65" and 75" TVs and the 80" and 85" floating cabinets. Or maybe just bite the bullet and donate it NOW and put the TV on a card table until we get the new things in. Decisions, decisions....

i realize the importance of a true mock up on the wall - I'd hate to get the 65" TV and regret that we didn't go bigger with the 75".

• redsilver
    5 years ago

<https://emfacademy.com/do-tvs-emit-radiation-complete-guide/>; and <http://www.lessemf.com/computer.html>       Of course there is no x ray, they say, radiation danger in the new style televisions, but there is other types of current, EMF is one, and if you have children and they love to play on a laptop, on their lap, or hold your cellphone, or use any kind of portable electronic device for many hours of any day, it is up to the adults who care about them to help them understand or help them be protected from exposure, just like you use DEET if they go outside and sunscreen too. It is the radio frequency or wifi waves also to think about if you have a Smart TV or even a Smart Home?..., as you can read the ethernet style connection, will decrease their exposure greatly for your television and computer connections.....and than there are the items for sale that can reduce your exposure to many of the above mentioned items we really don't think about....like modems, and desktop, laptop, routers, etc. It's silent, but it does accumulate over the lifetime-- for a child especially. "The bottom line is, children, especially babies, are significantly more vulnerable to exposure to EMF radiation."

TV Radiation With Babies and Children

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

dreamindecor thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Placing a darker decorative wall panel behind a wall-hanging screen reduces the "black hole" effect and provides a means of hiding cables.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Chalk Hill - I see that you're hailing from Cottonwood, just North of me in Phoenix! We enjoyed a fun weekend up there Fall 2017!

Yes, I have some of these wall panel pics in my TV Wall ideabook. They look good in many areas. However, since I'm looking to lighten the look of the room by replacing our big heavy entertainment center, I'm looking forward to exposing the lighter wall behind it. I know the TV can be a big "black hole," but when I'm ready to accessorize my TV wall I will again call upon Houzzers for ideas to help soften that look!

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Samsung's Art Mode seems like a great alternative to the "void on the wall".

dreamindecor thanked Chalk Hill LLC
  • dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chalk Hill - yes, that's a great look! I'm also liking that cabinet! Any idea where I can find it?

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think we have decided on this 85" floating cabinet:

The question we have now is do we go with the 65" TV or the 75" TV? Below are to-scale layouts. What do you think? Which size is a better fit for the wall? I'm worried that the 75" TV will just be overkill for the room.

65" TV

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oops, here is the 75" TV:

And the existing entertainment center:

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Our current TV is a 52" TV.

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Both work. Though I would place the TV lower and closer to the other floating element. Run wires inside the wall if you can - makes a big difference to the final aesthetic.

• redsilver
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-chemists-blue.html     Check into UV/Blue Light filters or eye wear for your family members, and filters are available for computer and cell phone screens also. Large flat screen filters that snap on are mentioned, but they seem to not be as available in the size screens you are considering, so eyewear may be your best option. Macular Degeneration. It's not a cool thing.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Aesthetically, the smaller TV looks better over the console, but then I usually think the smaller TV looks better. Functionally, I can't tell you since I killed my TV over a year ago. ;-)

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@groveraxle - I think the 65" TV LOOKS better too with the
    85" cabinet. That said, I don't want to regret not getting a bigger
    TV.

THAT said, today, while sitting on the floor watching TV with my
    grandson about 4-5 feet away from our existing 52" TV, I noticed that it
    just seemed too close - kind of like sitting in the front row of a movie.
    That caused me to think that the 75" TV works IF you're sitting on the
    couch - 14' away. But what if you're sitting in one of the chairs closer
    to the TV? Or on the floor like I was? That, to me, would make the
    75" TV too big for *all* types of viewing.

The closest chair to the TV has about an 8' viewing distance. According to the diagram that decoenthusiaste posted, a 60" TV would be appropriate for those sitting in the chairs.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

babophz - I'm sorry, but your comment didn't post on this discussion. It started with "your newly decorated room looks very nice, and I love the floating cabinet you've picked. However, I can't help wondering why you'd want...." and that was it.

I'd love to know your question!

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Thumbs up - good job! I would hang the sound bar off the TV to keep the white space at the counter top, but that's just me.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

A big thumbs up from me! Looks great.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

One suggestion for better balance: move the three tall candlesticks to the right end of the console and lose the little one.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is the 65” TV. My son says I should’ve gone with the 75”. I could still change it out. Thoughts?
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

You have enough UV rays coming at you with that one. It will dominate the room when it is on. And it gives you a place to make it look like a home, not a commercial movie theatre. So if you see it and hear it, that is nice. Some people like to make like they are inside the screen when they watch television. It's whatever you can afford, or what makes your family happy. You can certainly accomodate the larger size however.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover - is this what you mean?

So nothing else is needed on the side with the tree? I have a polished driftwood bowl that could go there?

Also - could you take a peek at a separate thread about artwork in this room? I sure could use your photoshop skills!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-finishing-touches-artwork-sculpture-grover-flo-dsvw-vd~5478821

• kathleenandellis
    5 years ago
    I like the proportions just as you have it now. I wouldn’t size up.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Yes to the lower bowl on the left. I'll go look at your other thread now.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The 65" TV is actually 33" x 57" and the 75" TV is 38" x 66". So the 75" TV would be 9" wider. The cabinet is 85" wide. I currently have 14" on either side of the TV. A bigger TV would give me only about 9" on either side of the TV. I don't know if you can see the tape measure, but I've shown the size of the 75" TV - quite a bit wider.

• mickeee
    5 years ago
    @dreamindecor, I really like your tv console. Do you mind sharing the manufacturer and name or style number? Thanks!
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

I really like it, especially with your very 'airy' plant. All 3 objects give one the feeling of 'floating'. Like magic! It makes the oversized electronic, look like it's in a home setting. Very nicely done. Couldn't be any nicer. Now, look for all those with the giant 'entertainment with a bridge' armoires or wall shelving be putting them up on resale websites, so they can lighten the load in their tv rooms... LOL

• PRO
    G&F Home Service
    5 years ago
    Consoles are outdated. flat panel t.v.s killed them. Go with a wall mounted T.V. and some floating shelves for "boxes".
  • dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mickeee - The floating TV cabinet is from Salamander Designs - the Denver 247 model. Pretty pricey. But I looked at a TON of cabinets before deciding on this one. Best Buy had the best price.

• mickeee
    5 years ago
    @dreamindecor Thank You!
  • Adam Tessler
    5 years ago

Hey maybe consider checking out the evervue cinema TV. I got it a few weeks ago and everyone I know loves it!

Sponsored
More Discussions