SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annesjunkmail

How Do You Make this Family Room Functional and Inviting??

Annie Loue Sue R
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Moved into home a year ago. Contemplated and kicked around various ideas for family room.

Am looking to furnish and design comfy and rustic (think reclaimed wood) family room.

Have 2 teenagers and a dog. We love to veg out and watch movies here.

I'd like to create a cozy reading corner by one of the windows but don't know how.

We'd like to entertain more but the family room is so uninviting and not welcoming yet. See photos.

All the oak in this room matches color (oak built in cabinet, oak fireplace mantle, oak storage under hearth) and is too dated for my taste. They're beautiful but the color is dated.

Room dimensions: 14'2" x 15'11"

Focal point: hearth-to-ceiling stone fireplace. Large windows on both sides; lots of natural light in afternoon but gets extremely warm. Oak mantle that I'm not crazy about. Would like a distressed wood look.

Ceiling: 10' pitched ceiling; tongue & groove wood planks, dark brown beams

TV: right corner

Floor: beige tile

Left side: french door flanked by 2 picture windows. All trim is white.

Right side: massive (approx 12' long) honey-colored oak built in cabinets. We don't need all this storage. Might have it removed in few years but for now, it will serve its purpose as computer station and storage. Would like to paint in lighter color to make the room seems less heavy and dense but the professional cost estimate was quite expensive. I'm a DIYer. This would take me considerable time (need to muster up the interest and motivation. I could paint it, especially if I knew what color would help the room). Cabinet is my biggest design dilemma I feel like I have to work around and have no creative way how.

All furniture here is temporary.

- inexpensive and small Ikea coffee table given by friend when she moved to Australia

- the leather sofa is an old, but free item I got in the interim. Plan to get rid of it and buy a new 85" dark leather sofa (prefer tan or almond color but the darker color I think would conceal dirt better. Found a great price for the new leather sofa, fits my budget, but only comes in dark brown).

- the matching cream leather chair-and-half are crazy comfortable and are wonderful pieces but they are just too large (58"x40") to incorporate into the space. They are recliners, and I'd like to keep them if I could make them work. Just don't know how to best arrangement them. One for seating next to couch, the other for the reading corner? Don't know!

- fabric chair in left corner is also temporary. Is a napping place for dog but I don't want to keep this temporary chair (dog has other napping locations). This corner space is hardly used and I wonder if this can be the cozy reading corner

-behind family room (opposite fireplace) is a functional bar (also with dark oak which I'd like to lighten or change; separate project).

Lighting: only major source is dated ceiling fan. Need a fan in room, but the lighting is inadequate and yellowish.

Need help, suggestions, inspiration for this room.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz