Rattlesnake Plantain Orchid

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Has anyone grown this plant in the Goodyera genus? I was thinking about trying it out, and was wondering if anyone has had experience growing it. It is native to North America.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This was weird. The option to upload the photo never appeared. Oh, Houzz this photo buisiness is gettin reallll old!

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I've seen it in the woods, but I've never "grown" it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The woods down south?

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

The woods 'round here...yes.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't think it's range went that far south. I've never seen one before period.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Beautiful leaves.

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

They're actually pretty common here.

Jay, you gotta remember that the Ozark Plateau (where I am) is the highest point between the Appalachians and the Rockies, thus we have a different climate and plant ecology than you might expect. There's lots of hold overs from the last ice age, etc.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Dbarron, what is your elevation where you live?

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I'm (personally) in what used to be lowland swamps, at 1322 ft above sealevel. The surrounding hills/mountains are higher, with elevations like 2753 (Mount Magazine). I realize that doesn't seem so high, but it does make a difference in the plant communities. It also allows us to have waterfalls...which I loved to photograph.

A friend of mine (on the Geo survey team in the state), told me a story of finding a lost world down in a crevasse in the Ozark Highlands. It has a narrow opening at top (less than 16 inches I think), but a walkable streambed some 70 feet below at bottom, which is lined with a fern species known from glacial melts in the far North. It was left here when the last round of glaciers retreated...and it's so cool and moist down there, that they have remained, thousands of miles from their relatives.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That is really cool that you have so many ice age holdovers down there. That crevasse sounds awesome. I've driven though every state in the country except Vermont,Deleware,Rhode Island,Alaska, and Hawaii. I really love the Ozark area, wish I'd spent more time there. In Maine I saw Steven King in his front yard as I was driving past his house.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Sounds like your Geo survey guy was one lanky guy.

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

You can get into it from the bottom if you're willing to use ropes to get down there. He's not 16 inches wide ;)

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Oh Dbarron. , I knew from previous post that you lived in swamp land and I pictured you in that endless flat area in eastern Arkansas . I have driven through there and the swamp never ends. I didn't think of the lowlands in the mountains. So much more preferable.

dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I agree, who would want to live in mosquito-infested ricelands. There's a mono-culture for you.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Not me.

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Hi debarron. I joined the wild ones. Haven't had any assignments yet. I think one of the local members owns a native nursery in dwight. Another member in Wheaton, in a different chapter also owns a native nursery.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

We only have one native nursery in Native Plant Society, but sometimes I get things from the state geo group, which has some of our members in it (for free) (lol).

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

State geo group? Who are they, and what do they do?

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Part of them, does the state botanical survey and monitors plant populations of endangered species, etc.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That would be cool if I could meet some of those people. I talked with one who moniters animal species. We were at the forest preserve, and he was counting the bats that live in the pavillion. He was using a laser, very cool.

Save    
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Used to be a lot of it around here in SE PA, but the infestious deer have apparently devoured all of it as well as the other 7 or 8 orchid species I used to find. I now know of only 1 small clump ot Showy orchis which survives only because I have built a cage over it for protection.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, I'm thinking that the deer are eating the orchids because some other food plant that they used to browse is now missing. The orchids survived for millions of years up till now. There must have been other plants in the past that drew their attention away from the orchids?

Save    
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

No, Just many fewer deer in the past. We now have no wolves or other natural predators and with increased development, there ar so many restrictions on hunting that one cannot fire a gun anywhere near where I live now.

40 years ago I saw a single deer or two maybe once a month. I now see from 6 to 12 every day crossing my lawn.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

geoforce, I agree that's probably the main reason. They did a culling in my area 2 years ago. There are cyotes in the arenphg75g h69ip1

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm not really thinking about growing the plantain orchid anytime soon. Henceforth shifting topics rules! Please sacrifice the time to watch this video. It's very eye opening. I dedicate it to nature photographers everywhere, especially one in particular.

https://youtu.be/P7TF8PvAdnE

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mires and bogs are being destroyed so we can make nice 511 mixes. Isn't it time everyone switched to sustainable, neutral ph coco peat??????? A lot of unique plant and animal species depend on those ecosystems! What shall I liken putting comments on the pureanals forum to. Putting dimples in warm soft dough. Amateur bakers you all! repent! :) Cloning, how creative!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've begun my winter sowing. I50 natives mostly perennial 30 Asclepias and Asclepiad species and aproximately 20 or so annuals to be sown at a later date. I will write them all down at some point but not today. I'm also looking for seeds for Gaillardia aestivalis and G. pulchra. There hasn't been any activity since I joined the Wild Ones. I thought they were a more active bunch restoring habitats all around the place, but that's not the case. They are more focused on educating new members about native plants. HELLO!!! What would there be for me to do other than teach, and probably some of the long time members lol. I like the idea of volunteering at the nearby Midwine Tallgrass Prairie much better. I will be able to get to know the place and it's plants intimately, learn the relationships of plants in the field, grow natives from seed, and endangered natives. That's a passion and that disputed pipedream about Mead's milkweed is still looming over me. And maybe I can introduce some of my cool natives that they don't have out there.......ECSD!!!! YEAH

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It seems someones aversion to Verbesinas everywhere just cost them an i.d. Actually I get a discount at the yearly native plant sale for being a wild one. I'll have to make up the money I spent on membership. It seems Asclepias rubra is another hard to find species. Everwilde farms is the only place listed. They said they were sold out, but I'd read they sold seeds too. I emailed them and they don't have plans to sell plants or seeds in the future.

https://youtu.be/rLm7O2hIYIo

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 10 Native Wildflowers With Unique Foliage
When the flowers fade, these leaves keep the garden looking good
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Golden Digger Wasp: A Beneficial Flower-Visiting Insect
Introducing the great golden digger wasp, a colorful pollinator that also hunts foliage-eating insects
Full Story
Fall Gardening 8 Gorgeous Planting Combinations for Fall Gardens
Brilliant foliage, rich texture and late-blooming flowers — these gardens have it all
Full Story
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More
At Capital Cabinets & Closets, we've built a reputation as an industry leader in full-service space management... Read More