SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Chusquea gigantea vs. Chusquea culeou in hot, humid summer climates

davidrt28 (zone 7)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Doubt this will be useful information for anyone, but recording here for posterity LOL.

Have dabbled with Chusquea culeou for years. Not sure why...I guess I just see the provenance "Chile" next to a plant description and see it as a challenge!

They do not like our summers in northeastern Maryland, or the winters.

So I was skeptical when Ian of Desert Northwest - a great up and coming nursery - recommended I try Chusquea gigantea. I wasn't aware the native range was too hugely different. He said he'd heard from a collector in the southeast, many years ago, that it was a little tougher in our conditions.

Anyhow, it behaves completely different. Unlike flagging and shrinking when it gets hot here, it keeps growing. I was sure it was a goner when we had our coldest first week of January ever, down to 0F with no snow cover, and the ground froze solid for several inches. Completely wrote it off.

So I was very surprised when it not only came back, but came back unambiguously, like, if I may anthropomorphize for a moment: "I'm happy here, and I want to keep living". There's actually already more green mass than there was last summer! Might end up being like Thamnocalamus tessellatus around here, that can get as high as 8-9 ft. before being killed back by cold winters. This winter, all the way to the ground.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction