SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_kerscher

How to get rid of septoria leaf spot for good?

Sara Kerscher
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have been dealing with septoria leaf spot for years. It has clearly affected a section of my garden that happens to be the only spot I can put tomato plants in. I tried moving the tomato plants to the other side of the garden (it's not very big to begin with) and planted strawberries and rhubarb in the old spot, but the septoria just followed the tomatoes. I didn't plant anything in the garden last year (just put two small tomato plants in my raised bed 15 feet away), but this year I tried again and it's as bad as ever AND my raised bed is now affected. I'm guessing it's what's wrong with my strawberries and rhubarb too. It's been 4 or 5 years now that it's been happening, but I'm only just now realizing that it's septoria.

So forget this year, the plants are hosed. I'm more interested in how I get rid of the septoria for good...is that even possible? Is this a losing battle? I see lots of advice on how to manage septoria, but I take vacations in the summer and have three busy kids - there is no way I can manage septoria daily as it seems to require (at least in my case). It's all I can do to remember to water myself when I'm home and get house-sitters to water the plants properly when I'm away. I prefer organic methods, but at this point I probably just need to go conventional as the copper fungicide I've been using hasn't done a darn thing.

I hate to lose my strawberries and rhubarb - they are finally big enough for me to actually do something with this year, but I'm tempted to just rip every single thing out of the whole bed and try to keep it as dry as possible for the rest of the summer. But would this even work? The septoria seems to have spread to my raised beds too. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of this stupid disease for good?

Has by black thumb finally gotten the best of me? I can't seem to manage this disease - is it time to hang up the gardening gloves? I'm pretty desperate - I'll do just about anything to finally have a crop of vegetables that aren't diseased and don't require more babysitting than a toddler.

Comments (28)