SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

Snake plant - leaf came out/few brown tips/bloat - what to do?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi! I'm hoping you can help. I bought two 6" (pots) snake plants from Lowes back mid May. I wanted one large plant and repotted them together into this 13.5" pot with drainage holes. I used cactus soil and added perlite. Was going to add pebbles to bottom but forgot to buy them. The pot used the whole bag of soil and I ran out so it stayed like that (unwatered) for a week until I was able to buy more. The roots were covered and I packed it somewhat. When I finally potted it I rearranged the plants and pulled them apart a little so it didn't look like two clumps side by side in the new pot. Roots didn't appear mushy and looked good to my eye. I thoroughly watered it until water ran out the bottom. It's about 6' from an east facing window. House temp. is set to 74 for the summer.

I don't remember if any tips were brown when I purchased the plants. I noticed a few are currently dry and brown. Also one of the small (pups?) leaves just came out. There's no root attached. Can I cut the bottom, leave it out to scar for a few days and place back in the pot? Another small leaf cluster, one of the leaves is bloated. I removed the bloated leaf but do I need to remove that whole cluster or just any individual leaf that bloats?

I know you can make leaf cuttings to start a new plant but if I wanted a taller/full plant like this I'm assuming I would need a bunch of small cuttings in one pot, right? - Can it be done that way or does it have to be one leaf cut up per pot? I don't really have room around the house for a bunch of small starter pots.

I think our Lowes tends to over water everything which is another reason I didn't want to leave it in the pots they were in. Soil was wet when I bought them. So it hasn't been watered since the end of May when I repotted. A few weeks back the soil was still wet/damp. Checking the past few days it seems dry. Thoughts on what I should do?

Thank you!

Leaf on left is out of soil. Leaf on right, front one fell over when I touched it. Bloated and removed that leaf. Rest of leaf also came out of soil.

Different angle.

Dry tip.

This leaf (below) was brown but I don't think it was quite that far down. Is this scarring or drying out from improper watering?

Another angle of same leaf.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone