SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_88116341183285448028

Kitchen Counter Conundrum

Gena Smith
5 years ago

I just bought a house and I knew when I bought it that I wasn't going to be able to live long with the black ceramic tile counters against honey oak cabinets. But now I am in a delimma on what color to install. I am hoping to install granite or quartz, though one of my friends says to go granite, since it is timeless and she thinks quartz will go out of style. So I'm at a loss there too.

The honey oak cabinets are staying cause my budget won't allow a change of everything. I don't mind the oak color so long as the counter tops get changed.

The kitchen has large grayish ceramic tiles for flooring, but the edge of the bar hangs over into the living room with dark wood floors. The walls of surrounding rooms are painted a grayish-blue. The kichen gets a fair amount of natural light during the day, but gets dark in evening/night - at the time when you would generally spend time in the kitchen. I attached a photo of both times/lightings.

I am definitely going for something lighter to brighten the space in the evening. I'm worried a gray granite would make the room look too gray and a white might be too drastic, unless maybe a really light gray with white stone? I also thought of a sandy or light gold color. What are opinions of a hint of black veins to pull in the appliance color?

The backsplash will also need updating to match, so welcoming opinions/picture ideas there too.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (25)