SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veglee

Source for quality, comfortable, dining room chairs

leela4
5 years ago

[I apologize in advance for posting here as this is more a pure decor question, but I just couldn't bear to post on "the other side" and risk not having you guys read it.]

I have my parents' dining room table and chairs. They are probably 50 years old or so, and solid pecan. Not so much my style, but it's very nostalgic for me to have them. DD2 has the matching china hutch.

I have slowly come to the conclusion that they are not very comfortable chairs. Before we remodeled the kitchen (2010), we had a separate dining room with this table and chairs, but only used it several times a year. We routinely ate at the peninsula or the table in the kitchen. But now we only eat in the (open) dining room; it's the only eating area. We love this, but it has forced us to use these chairs daily. I think sitting in these chairs, even with cushions that we have added, plus our old age (ha), has become less than wonderful. And both daughters and their families were here for 10 days and just Friday night DD1 commented about how uncomfortable they are. A repeat comment from last year.

So. I need recommendations for chairs. I would guess you would want direction from me re style/price/composition etc. Our style is very eclectic in that we have a mix of antiques, a little mcm,

modern and some traditional. Gad-I don't know. I don't care if they "go with" the table or not. No metal on these; I'm thinking upholstered backs and seats would be helpful.

It is hard for me to even make this post as I have never (I don't think) initiated a post here, and, the chairs are quite functional. But they hurt my back.

TIA

Here's a pic of the current chairs:

Comments (15)