SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

"All New Ball" French Onion Soup question

Kathy F
5 years ago

Hi, I am trying the French Onion Soup recipe from "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving." It doesn't seem to be going the way I would expect so I thought I'd put it on hold and ask here for some advice before I continue... I figure I can always restart tomorrow. :)

Here is the recipe as written up to the point where I have my questions:

Ingredients

1/4 c olive oil

4 lbs onions, thinly sliced

1 TBSP salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp dried thyme

3 cups dry white wine, divided (my note; nowhere did I see it say how much to divide when/where/how)

3 qt. Beef Bone Broth or commerical canned chicken, beef, or vegetable stock

1. Heat olive oil in an 8 qt stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Stir in onion, salt and pepper. Cover and cook 1 hour or until onion is very tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Uncover and cook, stirring constantly, until onion is caramel colored. Stir in thyme and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven. Simmer 10 minutes or until wine has reduced to almost dry. Stir in broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.

The rest of the recipe is standard canning instructions, which I'm okay with.

In step 1, my onions produced quite a bit of liquid which I wasn't expecting. In step 2, I cooked the onions uncovered for quite a while, but it stayed pretty liquidy and the onions never browned. I was afraid I was going to turn the onions to mush, so I proceeded and added the wine. Yikes! 3 cups is A LOT! It's still pretty darn soupy after cooking down for 20 minutes vs. the recommended 10 minutes. My most important question is - would it be safe to proceed with adding the broth and canning it? It seems that the yield will be WAY off (supposed to be 4 qts/8 pts), and who knows about the taste, but taste I can assess as I add the broth. I just don't want to waste the broth if it's not safe... Or any suggestions on how to save this? My last question is - any idea what happened?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy (CA-9)

Comments (4)