SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darcy_peth

Part 2! Help me with my living room please

Darcy Peth
5 years ago

I got some excellent advice earlier in the week on my living room refresh:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-does-this-space-make-sense-mixing-decor-styles-dsvw-vd~5389868

I could use some more specific help. My problem is that most of my house is decorated in a traditional style, and I'm not personally a big fan of the mid-century modern look - I really dislike chrome, glass, and spiky furniture legs - but I am having a really hard time putting together a living room suite that looks traditional. I just feel like since MCM is so popular right now, it's tough to find attractive, comfortable, good quality pieces in any other style. So I've been trying to put together a suite of choices that kind of skirt the line - that have the spare, minimalist look of MCM while still having a bit of the warmth that will help the room blend with the rest of my house. Does that make sense? Here's what I have so far.

Mock up that groveraxle made, showing how we hope the fireplace will look after we remodel it, and move the TV onto the east wall:

Layout that Flo Mangan made:

Thanks to input on my earlier thread, I'm now planning to put one long sofa along the west wall, and two small recliner chairs facing the fireplace. I'm moving the piano to a different room entirely so that's out of the picture.

My decor ideas so far.

Coffee table:

End table:

Recliner chairs (will be leather if I can find a fabric sofa I like)

Red Persian rug

Media console (This one is $1000 and I don't want to spend that much but I do like the look)

I've been loving the Sven sofa but I'm afraid it's too MCM to blend with the traditional elements in the rest of the house (and that I would like to use in the rest of the room). Again though, having trouble finding a more traditional sofa that fits the bill. If I use the Sven sofa then I'll look for fabric recliners, probably in blue.

Am I nuts for trying to make this work? My problem is as I mentioned above I just really dislike chrome, glass, and spiky metal legs. If it's helpful I can show some photos of the decor in the rest of the house for context.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!