SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_mobley

Any hope for my sad fiddle leaf fig?

Caroline M
5 years ago
So I brought this guy home from a local nursery about 2 months ago, and I honestly wish I had a before picture, but alas I do not... After having him in a north facing window for a few weeks, he started getting brown spots on his bottom leaves. Then the brown spots started working their way up to the middle leaves and eventually the top, newest leaves. The people at the nursery said I was probably watering the tree too much, so take the root ball out of the container and let it dry out for 2 weeks, then only give him a cup of water every week. So I followed those instructions and his condition has continually deteriorated. After lurking on these forums for a few weeks and reading at least 3 or 4 dozen of Al’s comments and posts, I moved him to a different, much brighter, southeast window, started using the chopstick method of testing for when to water, stopped giving him “small sips” of water... but he dropped one of his last two leaves this morning and now I’m thinking he’s doomed :( I haven’t repotted him, because I figured it would be too much stress on an already dying plant.

I’ve attached a few pictures, one where he’s on the table when he had a few more very sad looking leaves a few weeks ago. The other three were taken at 6am this morning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

(Also, I live in Raleigh, NC... so zone 7b. And my backyard is VERY shady.)

Comments (6)