SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Which of Your Roses Did Best in the Heat?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Since our last terrifically torrid hot spell extended over many states and sadly even such northern areas as Sweden, I thought this would be a good time to review our experiences with roses that were stars, and incidentally also those that turned into potpourri. Since it's not going to get any cooler, hopefully this knowledge will be helpful in ordering new roses in future rose orders.

Many of my roses weren't blooming, and this is probably also a good time to make note of those that stopped putting out new growth in the heat. My two bushes of Mme. Lambard are in that category, as is Mme. de Sombreuil, Rosette Delizy and SdlM. A rose that produces flowers that wilt in even the slightest heat, Mme. Antoine Mari, nevertheless pushed out new growth and buds continuously. So frustrating! Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux for the first time produced candelabras of blooms, where before it had only single blooms, but most of them wilted or dried up in the heat, as did those of Mme. Leon Pain. However, they grow close to a house wall, where even the morning sun they receive is magnified.

Roses that did astonishingly well in the heat are my two bushes of Bishop's Castle, one planted in more sun than the other, Potter and Moor,e and Baronne Henriette de Snoy. The Baronne's blooms had very little crisping, even though some of its large leaves were sunburned. Aloha also held up very well, but that may be partly because it gets no afternoon sun.

I hope to hear from everyone who went through this lovely record-breaking experience to find out which roses were incredible and which were losers.

Comments (12)