SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_giordano49

Help! We can’t decide on 2 structural columns or 1!

Emily Montoya
5 years ago
We need to have columns on our first floor, either every 8 feet or 16 feet. We can either have 1 column in the middle of our dining room and in front of our serving station or 2 columns, one 4-5 feet from our front door (leaving a 3’3” clearing from the wall to column to walk through) and the second one between our pantry and powder room which doesn’t bother us at all.
Is It better to have 2 with 1 in our living room and entryway or just 1 column in the middle of our dining room?
See plan below, the 1 column in black, and the 2 alternative columns in red.

Appreciate the feedback!

Comments (52)

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

One column also.

Emily Montoya thanked ci_lantro
  • Related Discussions

Side entry help: can't decide!

Q

Comments (2)
    If you have kids, a dog, and/or plan to work in the yard, it's nice to have an entrance from the outside where you can get to a mudroom/laundry area and bathroom without going too far or opening a big garage door and walking through the garage. Your backyard entrances are all into nice spaces (FR, LR) which is great for adult guests, not always so great for gardeners, kids, and pets. I like having an additional entrance where the kids and I can kick off dirty shoes. PS you might get more responses by embedding your pictures into the posts rather than having links. I don't know about Flickr, but Photobucket and Webshots give you the code to do that when you click on a picture.
    ...See More

2 Toned Kitchen, Can't decide on Benjamin moore colors

Q

Comments (11)
    I picked my counters first - River White granite. When I went to pick cabinet colours I realized that the grey I had planned didn't work - I really needed a grey with distinct green undertones. Since counters are expensive and hard to change, I would pick those first and pick cabinet colours after. Flooring would also be a big consideration in picking cabinet colour. I found it helpful to have flooring and counter samples on hand at the paint store when looking at chips. I really liked going to the Farrow and Ball store where they have delicious colours, large sample boards, and a great advisor. She immediately pointed me to the perfect colour, which I will probably use with a different formulation (custom translucent stain).
    ...See More

Help! I just can't decide, Long w/lots of pics

Q

Comments (28)
    I've been going back and forth on your post for awhile now just looking and thinking. I have oak cabinets too and we changed out the hardware to ORB. I love it. I hear your pain on painting the cabinets! DH is the same way but has always been fine w/ me painting our cabinets. We've just never gotten around to it though. Leaving the cabinets as is until you cajole your DH into painting I think that white is a good decision for table and chairs. But Let me toss this idea out to you: Should you eventually paint your cabinets would you consider painting your table base in a pale shade of grey/ blue? I suggest this just because I think that those curtains need something a little 'weighty' in the kitchen w/ the addition of the brown sectional being in the other room. Or maybe not. I forgot that you were painting the wals green and I don't feel like erasing everything that I just typed!
    ...See More

We have been in new construction 2 1/2 months- beams pulling away HELP

Q

Comments (39)
    Older houses are a lot more air- leaky. Air flows around much more easily in an older home. Most newer construction tries to be as air-tight as possible. Plus I believe newer construction with cement as the foundation is going to add humidity to the air for awhile too - my new home ran high on humidity as the concrete continued to dry out for the first few months or so we were in there. It's a combination of issues I think. I don't necessarily think every newer home is going to fall over in a brief power outage. :-) The original poster said this has been going on for over 2 months, and that they were well above 80% humidity for awhile. That's tropical rainforest level! Plus they had a flooded crawlspace and needed mold remediation on top of that. There are some serious water issues at play here.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Columns in a passageway? You can't be serious. Make any freestanding column big and round and/or add a low wall or cabinets to prevent accidents.

Is there an overlook on the upper floor? Don't add more; deal with the cause of the problem.

Emily Montoya thanked User
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Less is more...pretty sure!

Emily Montoya thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

I’d do one. I don’t like with the “two” option a column also ends up behind the island seating and leaves an even narrows “passage” on closet side than you get with the one column by serving station.

Also, you did not ask, but I could not help but wonder where a bed can be positioned in that master bedroom without blocking a door or closet opening somehow - I assume that little “bump in” is a fireplace or something? I know this is a narrow plan and there are limitations (I also have a narrow house), but if that is a fireplace I think it needs to go so you can at least use that wall to position a bed.

Emily Montoya thanked RaiKai
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

See what architectrunnerguy comes up with when he gets back. Otherwise, I lean towards 2.

Agreed... where does the master bed go???

Emily Montoya thanked artemis_ma
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

In you decision process, consider the beam the column(s) support. I assume if one column is used the beam is larger in height and encroaches into the space more. This may or may not make a difference, but if it does it may be very important. When designing space think think of all three dimensions and sometimes four dimensions.

Another thing to consider is the columns do not have to be equally spaced.

Emily Montoya thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI Mark, OUr architect said the columns have to be aligned with the columns in the basement so we didn't have a choice on moving them around.. is that true?

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI Rai Kai and artemis_ma,

That's not a fireplace in the bedroom, I think it's how the furnace gets to the top floor, however all of that is changing/moving/different systems being put in and that little thing bumping out will go away or if we can't remove it, we are building out a "fake" wall to align with it and putting the bed against that wall.

This is really preliminary just so we can see where things will be placed and spacing!

Thanks!

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you must use support column(s) in the middle of a room, then use two and do really USE them: integrate them into your floor plan by building a bar or table or bench seat or shelving or cabinets or tv wall -- something room appropriate in between them.

Emily Montoya thanked suezbell
  • Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI JDS,

Columns are not for design, they are for structure so we have no real choice on the matter. They have to be there and need to line up with the columns in the basement. It's a brownstone type house and there's no overlook from the top floor.

I wouldn't want to take up anymore space with the columns than I have to!

• User
    5 years ago

There are two well established design principles involved here:

1) Don't attempt to solve a 3 dimensional problem in 2 dimensions.

2) Creative problem solving begins with a well defined problem.

Please post the upper level and a building section through the dining area.

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Architectrunnerguy,

Thank you for re-working the floor plan! Unfortunately, the stairs you see to the left of our floor plan with the door from the foyer are part of the upstairs apartment and not the 1st floor so we can't take up any of that space. We're really trying to keep this as open as possible which is why we made the choices that we did on where to place things even though they're not ideal. I'm interested to see what else you can show us! We're still in preliminary phases but I'm holding up the whole thing figuring out these columns.

Thanks!

• User
    5 years ago

If there's a flat ceiling above the living spaces, you can turn the upper floor support beams 90 degrees and span from bearing wall to bearing wall. Of course, without more drawings its not possible to know if the rest of the structure would be affected.

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JDS -- don't have upper level floor plan yet. it's a 2 family home so that apartment won't matter to our plan I believe.. here's the basement

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JDS -- I should also tell you that while we are gut reno-ing the basement and first floor, the second floor is just getting cosmetic updates so we're not actually structurally changing anything on that floor.. would we have to per your 90 degree suggestion?

• User
    5 years ago

I have done before and just added posts in the basement where needed. It all depends on how much of the original structure will remain therefore all that information is needed. I would go to great lengths to avoid columns in a circulation path.

• Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, the stairs you see to the left of our floor plan with the door from the foyer are part of the upstairs apartment and not the 1st floor so we can't take up any of that space.

I assumed that since it looked like a typical "stacked unit" configuration typical of many Brownstones.

My drawing had an identical stair to your drawing with no changes to either the stair going up or the stair going down. But since you're getting other great help here I took it down. You're in good hands!

But the best of luck with your project!

Emily Montoya thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

" . . . columns have to be aligned with the columns in the basement so we didn't have a choice on moving them around."

Columns (or point loads) from floors above must be picked up in some fashion by support below. They can be off-set, but the shifting of the load must be accommodated by a appropriately sized beam.

Rely on the advice of your architect.

Emily Montoya thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • User
    5 years ago

You would probably need two new posts and footings in the basement to support the left ends of the new beams near the stairs. The new beams might need to be lower than the ceiling but that might give some definition to the dining area. This is all subject to the opinion of your structural engineer.

• User
    5 years ago

This is such an obvious solution that I expect your architect and engineer to tell you why its not feasible but its worth a try. Beams are a lot better than posts.

Aligning the new posts from 1st floor to basement will take some work.

• User
    5 years ago

If the 90 degree beams won't work, I'd use a tapered 18" Doric (Tuscan) column aligned with the end of the kitchen island and call it a feature.

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JDS -- oh so you're saying put 2 beams by the stairs n the basement to align with the wall on the 1st floor so then we could just do the 90 degree beams on the 1st floor and frame the dining room?

• User
    5 years ago

2 posts by the stairs in the basement not beams

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

I hope JDS's solution for no columns works.

If you have to have columns, I'd want them to look like they made sense. That might actually mean more columns, not fewer. For example, framing out the dining area on each corner and having a coffered ceiling (or similar) in that space would give the columns some kind of purposeful look, rather than looking like a random placement. There are still going to be some unfortunate and awkward spots, like the spot to the left of the bottom left column, and the possible pinch point to the left of the top left column. (You would want to make that counter to the left of the dining space shallower. I would do that regardless, so it's not a hip-bumper sticking out past that wall.)

I would work with your architect (and those on this forum) to either eliminate the columns or make them look purposeful.

Emily Montoya thanked chicagoans
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Here's a design, above, which makes spatial sense. I don't know if it makes structural sense. You need an architect.

Emily Montoya thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • User
    5 years ago

In order to avoid accidents, the additional detailing needs to be at the floor level. Low walls or shelving etc.

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

I am having trouble reading the plan notations; does it say a 2x5 kitchen island? With an additional overhang? Or including the overhang? Shown with 5 stools?

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

Sorry 4 stools, not 5?

• User
    5 years ago

I'm not a fan of columns (I, too, live in a brownstone/townhouse - but we converted it to a single family).

Would it be possible to extend the walls that are in line with the proposed two-column locations, to create sort of an "entry" and a "hide the bathroom door" bump out?

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JDS -- I meant if we put 2 additional beams by the stairs in the basement, would we only need the beams upstairs going across?

• User
    5 years ago

I don't understand the purpose of the basement beams. Do you mean posts?

• User
    5 years ago

Posts = vertical (columns).

Beams = horizontal.

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    JDS — sorry I was saying It wrong, I meant to ask If we put the 2 new posts by the stairs in the basement, would we only need the beams at 90 degrees on the floor above to be in place of the posts on that floor?
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

If your builder/remodeler isn't already collaborating with your architect-- and a structural engineer if needed--now is a great time. Together, they can sort through the variety of alternatives, assess feasibility and cost and give you alternatives.

Cost considerations aside, I would favor JDS' solution to pick up the point load with some beams and eliminate an obstacle in a circulation path. I know I'd hit it every morning when I head to the kitchen for my caffeine fix.

• User
    5 years ago

Emily, that is correct: two upper level beams and two new posts on both floors eliminating the first floor posts. But I don't know the actual framing of the building so you need to follow the advice of your architect, engineer and builder.

These beams are known as "transfer beams" because they transfer vertical loads from above to other offset posts below. The most obvious concern is the height of the new beams above the living spaces. I don't know if the existing long beam is below or level with the existing floor joists or how high those beams are above the first floor.

Remember what I said about the two design principles involved here? There's still too much not revealed so I'm only throwing out an idea. You might hit your head on the new beams for all I know.

• User
    5 years ago

You need boots on the ground input from a contractor NOW. You need a budget and practicality check ASAP. You are likely to experience immediate and fatal sticker shock if you wait until the end of the design phase to get preliminary cost estimates. This is a hugely expensive project that will likely need design readjusting to ever make any financial sense. It may make much better sense to leave the current walls and not try to make this into a modern home. Because it isn’t.

• User
    5 years ago

It will definitely cost more but it will be worth it if it avoids a trip to the emergency room with Nana on Christmas Eve.

I did this for several 8x8 posts in an old Yankee Barn house. Modern LVL's, big Simpson hangers and a good structural engineer can work miracles. Steel beams might save about 4" of headroom.

I disagree with Sophie. This is a modern house; it just has posts in the main passageway that need to be removed.

• User
    5 years ago

If the ceiling height is not an issue, this is 2 beams, 4 posts and 2 footings.

But that assumes the existing long beam is continuous where it needs to be. It may be new for all I know. Definitely too many unknowns and that's what kills ideas like this.

Sophie is right that it needs local input ASAP.

• User
    5 years ago

My office had this problem in a restaurant and made the column 30" in diameter and wrapped it with a hand woven rug.

I saw a similar column in a hotel recently and it was even larger and wrapped with rope.

So, one column could work for you if its large enough and well designed. An 8x8 post would be a magnet for heads.

• User
    5 years ago

I saw a similar column in a hotel recently and it was even larger and wrapped with rope.

My cat would LOVE that scratching post! lol

• User
    5 years ago

• User
    5 years ago

I can just see someone’s gramma knitting a cozy for a post rather than the teapot.

I think there’s a certain dishonesty in all of those looks that makes them far less appealing than if they were just raw concrete or steel. If someone wants modern, and that means support posts, there should be an unabashed LOVE for that structural detail. It shouldn’t be attempted to be disguised like your crazy uncle in the attic that you’re ashamed to have in the family.

The current attempt to cross 1002 traditional home details and with large modern internal volumes is what resulted in the horrible atrocity of the NeoEccentric TopHat MishMassAppeal taking over production building. Pop a few Mr Potato Head details on the house of the 70 gables and it’s a Craftsman, or a Folk Victorian, or French Country.

Continuing that awkward cross into the interior results in the 10 Acre (Painted) Wood Kitchen, with the Antarctic OutPost Breakfast Bar, where those OutPosts are attempted to be integrated into the whole, by disguising them as Traditional elements. Which does semi work a lot of the time to keep you from bashing your noggin.

But, people just don’t have the guts to actually commit to what they are asking home builders to produce. They want a Modern Home, but superficially disguised in Gramma’s apron, pince nez, and hairnet.

• User
    5 years ago

A little imagination is not a crime against humanity.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Well...we all approach design from our own individual direction. That's as it should be with design, don't you think?

Finnish architect Alvar Aalto, was a very interesting and creative architect. He was a talented Modernist, but also very much a regionalist, influenced by the materials and beauty of his native Finland.

Here's some of the columns he designed for the Villa Mairea/ Rural retreat for Harry and Maire Gullichsen. 1939. Noormarkku, Finland. One quickly sees the ties to Modern Architecture in these functional columns, which are, at the same time, "tamed" and made uniquely creative and comfortable to see and touch. If one must have exposed columns in a residence, I think it may be challenging to find columns any more comfortable and attractive than these by Aalto.

Aalto has also been called the Finnish Frank Lloyd Wright, which I think is a great dis-service, since Aalto was an extraordinary talent and ably demonstrated that he designed in his own unique approach.

A rare trait, his design skill and sensitivity.

I'm not suggesting that there's a "better" or "worse" approach to any of this, but I do find it interesting how each of us approaches a design problem in our own individual manner.

Just architecture shop-talk...

• Emily Montoya
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JDS -- I was told the posts have to stay where they are because they have to align with the posts in the basement so if I kept them where they were and made them bigger in diameter, we would be loosing so much space and our main goal is to open our home up and to have as little wasted space as possible.

My architect and contractor are working very closely together and as far as budget, we've already gotten our base pricing and know how expensive this project is going to be but that's to be expected with any gut reno of a pre-war home.

My worry is that my architect isn't being creative enough with a solution to this issue for us which is why I brought the question here to get other opinions.

I appreciate all your help and I'm going to suggest the 2 beams, 4 posts, and 2 footings that you came up with and see where we can go from there.

The posts don't really bother me at all, I just really don't want one in the middle of the dining room in front of our serving station but 2 felt like we weren't maximizing our space.

And like Sophie said -- I would definitely keep them wood or metal and make a structural statement and not try to hide them.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT. We're pretty far along and making our final call on Sunday.

• User
    5 years ago

We can't know what the structural post will be but I've renovated quite a few buildings of this kind and all of the new support posts were 4"+ steel tubes or Lally columns with steel top and bottom plates like you would expect to find in an unfinished basement.

Sophie, would you leave the post bare for the sake of honesty? Would you resign if your client disagreed? Have you never renovated a townhouse?

• User
    5 years ago

Even if the columns are already in the basement, you can still add another one under the place where you want a column upstairs as long as there isn't a door in the way.. If the basement walls haven't been installed, the slab could be cut and a new footing pad poured and then a steel post added. Your architect should have thought of it long ago. I've done projects where all of the original footings and posts had to be abandoned and new ones installed.

Le Cobusier's only building in the US is the Carpenter Center at Harvard. He was not an architect in the US so his name was shown as "designer" on the sign out front. There are some very tall slender columns that support part of the building. They were too thin to build of reinforced concrete so steel columns were wrapped in concrete. My structural design professor was the engineer who did the structural design.

• User
    5 years ago

I personally like the lally columns. I’d powder coat em red before install. Most clients don’t like them though. One or two in a design usually does get cladded, and I like a low bookcase in between to tie them together, and create relationship sense to the brain as a solution. Kinda like the old Craftsmen bookcase column separators.

But that ^ many in that basement says “put up a wall around them”, not “make me a star”.

• User
    5 years ago

I finally figured out why architect's on the GW are considered rude and condescending.