SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26295576

Is This Root Rot on my Majesty Palm?

User
5 years ago

I posted this in Houseplants about 20 hours ago and it's not showing up. I don't know why, but I really need any answer!

I got this Majesty Palm from Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. I repotted it about a week ago, obviously raised and widened it a few inches from the grower's pot. I used half potting soil, half cactus/succulent soil, and a tiny bit of dirt from the hillside where a ton of our giant Aloe grows green-green-green. I also gave it ample drainage. I wondered if it was too much maybe.

I'm in Los Angeles where we are having a record-breaking heat wave. I've been doing my best to keep it moist, but Friday one side got scorched (as seen in the picture) -- it peaked at 123 degrees --so I turned it to the shade today. The other side may be affected today, as it hasn't been much cooler. Just keeping my eye out and watering it when it starts drying out.

So here are the issues, and I may be paranoid? I usually am -- fair warning.

Yesterday, I noticed that one side of one of the stalks was darkening, possibly working its way up? I'm not sure because I hadn't noticed it before. Does this look normal? Is it too dark? Normal color? I get nervous it's root rot and keep reading about how easily these plants die from that. I've already nearly lost my dragon tree, and thank goodness, thanks to this forum, I saved it.

Also, I didn't plant the stalk super tight into the soil and wonder if that was a bad thing. I bought more soil today to maybe fix that.

I realize this palm is not indoors and I am posting in "houseplants," but I purchased it as a houseplant, then saw more of these outside in the sun at Home Depot.

Any info is much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida